Getting started with VSTs, Plugins, IRs etc.

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    I've recently been playing with various PC-based amp sims (got quite a few) and I've found a free one that sounds absolutely amazing.

STL - Ignite Amps - Emissary.

Seriously, this is an unbelievably good sounding amp sim.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • InactiveXInactiveX Frets: 295
    edited September 2019
    I am a huge fan of Scuffham S-Gear. I use it in standalone mode and as a VST in Cubase.

I set my buffer to 64 samples (at 44.1kHz) which gives me imperceptible latency.

Do try the trial version of Scuffham. The preset "Blue Klaptonite" would have alone been enough to sell to me!

By the way, my interface is an ESI ESP1010e.

If you want VST plugins at low latency, then look for a sound interface with ASIO 2.0 drivers.
    Don’t follow influencers
    Watch the parking meters
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2938
    Well being a massive hypocrite I’m going back on what I just said in my previous posts. I do like having a hardware modeller for simplicity sake, but I’m most likely going back to using a VST as I’m actually getting better sound and feel out of it now I’ve got it all set up properly with no real latency!

Mercuriall Spark really is awesome, very inspiring to play and it doesn’t have a million options to get lost in. The included cab sim is intuitive to use and sounds/feels as good as IRs.
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    InactiveX said:
    I am a huge fan of Scuffham S-Gear. I use it in standalone mode and as a VST in Cubase.

I set my buffer to 64 samples (at 44.1kHz) which gives me imperceptible latency.

Do try the trial version of Scuffham. The preset "Blue Klaptonite" would have alone been enough to sell to me!

By the way, my interface is an ESI ESP1010e.

If you want VST plugins at low latency, then look for a sound interface with ASIO 2.0 drivers.
    S-Gear is definitely good but not my favourite.

Defo check out the free one I mentioned, was very surprised how good it was compared to anything, free or otherwise.

Playing through the PC for a good few hours every day over the past week, I've found Kazrog to be the best sound.

Wish Amplitube was the best sounding since the interface is just amazing, it kind of looks like a computer game where you move mics in a virtual studio and the cabs and mics look so real, it's cool.

Good for clean sounds too actually but not as good for driven sounds as other software in my opinion.

My favourite amp in the real world is the Friedman BE100 if that gives any indication of my taste.

The real joy of using the PC instead of my hardware unit (and why I'm going to build a power house PC in order to use that permanently) is that I can use the top quality effects from my DAW. E.g instead of using the compressor built in to the hardware or a pedal I can insert the Fabfilter which is just next level. Same with reverb, modulation etc.

Definitely excited about switching to PC based amo sims.

There's also the thing that I don't have to pick one sim software and stick with it, I can go between a few of them for each song.
  • I'm a big fan of LeAmps and LeCab with Celestion IRs. The Plexi + Heritage g12h30 combo is all I need these days. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"