Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

£1000 Strat style recommendations please

What's Hot
I’ve got up to this figure to spend on a new guitar. Want a strat (style) , I’ve looked at the Fender Performer, Ibanez AZ ( Indonesian ) and the Nick Johnston Schecter so far . Anything else I should be looking at or is one of these the best bet ? Thanks in advance.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    The Mexican fender series, particularly the higher end of it.

Don't think that being cheaper than the plPerformer makes them inferior, being made in America is probably the only reason the Performer is more expensive.

Depending how much of a rush you're in, the American Standard/Professional often ends up about a grand. That's how much I paid for my first one.

That Schecter one does look very cool though, I'd like a shot of that. I tend to trust Schecter to be high quality as well. Paid 330 for a bass and the quality is unbelievable.
  • Buy used.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 14reaction image Wisdom
  • NikcNikc Frets: 627
    Tokai sliver star - best 'strat' I've played 
  • Buy used.
    What he said.

Or, if you do want to go new and are up for something modern and strat style, the new Charvels are about 800 quid and pretty awesome.

For more traditional style, Fender are probably your best bet.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Buy used and consider the spec you are after. I recently posted this on a similar thread: https://www.flickr.com/gp/157224850@N02/S39h45
    its a fsr US standard that differs from the norm a lot -including having a v-profile neck. It’s the sort of thing that isn’t everyone’s cup of tea, but equally will be exactly what others want without having to go as far as an avri price. So I’d say decide what you want first and then ask about on here and see if anyone has one.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14229
    tFB Trader
    Buy used.
    I agree - You'll get far more guitar for you money

Many used guitars are in nigh on mint condition if wear n tear is an issue - So much choice now as well
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10206
    Elite Strats? HSH under the guard, great playability, loads of features, hard case, and can be had used for less than £900.  
  • ronnybronnyb Frets: 1747
    80s / 90s Strat Plus.
  • gjonesygjonesy Frets: 146
    G&L
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I'd go for something like this, looks a heck of a lot of guitar for the money...

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/163201/van-zandt-stratocaster-stv-r2-price-drop-to-950

(I have no affiliation with the seller BTW)

• Used Levinson Blade RH-4 or G&L Legacy or S500.
  • notanonnotanon Frets: 607
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11448
    Used AVRI or American Original.

If you want new, then Vintera Series if you don't mind the daft name.
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5753
    Buying used is definitely the way to make the most clever investment. 

But not necessarily the way to make the best purchase. When I wanted a Strat I took a several hours trip to one of the bigger stores to get to play a good range. The one that just felt better and sounded right to me was way way off what I thought I wanted. Of course I lost a few hundred quid the second it left the shop but I got just the right Strat for me. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • tekbowtekbow Frets: 1699
    Pre-owned john page
  • Older USA Plus/Clapton.  Or a new 'Fraser" would be very tempting.
  • Alot of great suggestions above but some to add

I would definitely go used 

JV squier (mij)
    Esp vintage plus

• timhuliotimhulio Frets: 1286
    edited September 2019 tFB Trader
    I'm in the market for a 'modern' Strat around 1k and a couple of weeks ago took a drive to Andertons and tried the USA Performer, Vintera 50s mod and the Japan 50s Hybrid - all guitars with similar specs and underlying idea. 

The Vintera was better in every way. The fit and finish, neck shape, fretwork (the Performer also had a badly cut nut) and sound were superior. The only reason I didn't get the Vintera right there is that I can't get excited about 2TS or daphne blue finishes and am hoping we get some nice special run colours once these have been out a while.