Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Finally going to get back into shape!

What's Hot

Comments

• Snap said:

The term cardio, when people talk about training is generally used to mean running, rowing etc. You could argue all exercise is cardio, cos it involves working your cardiovascular system.

But, as we are picking hairs, HIIT and cardio are, for most people, terms used to describe different training methods.

You want to burn fat as fast as possible? HIIT and large muscle groups is the way to go.

It's about the emphasis.

Weight training emphasises muscular growth. So it's not cardio.

Steady-state cardio (running, jogging, cycling etc) at a continuous pace is "typical cardio" because it emphasises working the cardiovascular system.

HIIT is cardio because it emphasises over-working the cardiovascular system.

HIIT is great when you throw it into a session of steady state too. So something like 10 minute warm-up jog followed by 10 repeats of 20 seconds outright sprinting and 10 seconds steady state, then a follow up 10minute cool down jog.

I agree with pretty much every you said, other than HIIT not being cardio.

Bye!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Also HIIT is not for everyone. If you're severely overweight or obese, it's not really the way to get started IMHO

Bye!

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12415
    Snap said:

The term cardio, when people talk about training is generally used to mean running, rowing etc. You could argue all exercise is cardio, cos it involves working your cardiovascular system.

But, as we are picking hairs, HIIT and cardio are, for most people, terms used to describe different training methods.

You want to burn fat as fast as possible? HIIT and large muscle groups is the way to go.

It's about the emphasis.

Weight training emphasises muscular growth. So it's not cardio.

Steady-state cardio (running, jogging, cycling etc) at a continuous pace is "typical cardio" because it emphasises working the cardiovascular system.

HIIT is cardio because it emphasises over-working the cardiovascular system.

HIIT is great when you throw it into a session of steady state too. So something like 10 minute warm-up jog followed by 10 repeats of 20 seconds outright sprinting and 10 seconds steady state, then a follow up 10minute cool down jog.

I agree with pretty much every you said, other than HIIT not being cardio.
    Yeah but you can't beat a 10k on a cold wet dark wednesday night in January.
  • Bye!

• FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    This is the former Liverpool FC and Australian Cricket Team nutrition Dr talking about his experiences and research into nutrition. Absolutely facsinating.

• SnapSnap Frets: 6265

the thing with fitness and nutrition advice is that it is big business and there are lots of conflicting opinions to be had.

Cos it's such big business, there is always a new fad or a new piece of research to take in. I can only speak of my own experience over the years, having been into loads of fitness regimes over the years.

One of the big snake oils that I believe to be a load of rubbish is protein shakes. From everything I've read, seen and experienced, they are a big waste of money. We've been conditioned into believing they are essential for muscle gain, but really they aren't, not if you eat a balanced diet.

I've found a program that works for me, in terms of enjoyment, wellbeing and results. That is what everyone should try and find - the thing that works for them. It will be different from one person to the next. But...if you don't enjoy it, and don't see results you hope for, you will stop doing it and lapse back into old habits.

Diets aren't something I believe in either. I honestly think they are short term and in the longer term unrealistic and unnecessary. I think it's about understanding food and eating. We have bodies that are capable of eating anything really. There is no such thing as "bad food", but rather bad amounts. We have become accustomed to not feeling hungry, we eat a lot more than our ancestors, and food is easy to come by. If we just think a little more about how much, and what we eat, you can have a big impact on your weight and health.

Simple changes soon mount up: do you need two sugars in your tea? Do you need that third biscuit, that fourth bottle of beer, the third slice of toast? Do you really need to feel stuffed at the end of a meal? Looking at it like this is a lot easier than deciding you need to drastically cut down your food intake right away - that won't happen.

If you don't have a particularly health lifestyle, changing it to one that is takes a while, and takes a shift in your thinking. It's not fair on yourself to expect that you can achieve that change in quick short moves. Not if you want o do it right.

Well, that's my view fir what it's worth, worked for me, but like i say everyone finds their own way.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Yeah protein shakes are a waste of time, the ones you buy at ASDA or whatever. Protein whey works, but you need to exercise to see any benefit obviously. Lacing your body up with a load of protein and then not using it once it's in your system is a waste of time.

Bye!

Honestly Drew, it's bollocks. You hear this that and the other, oh you need to drink it at this point, that point, administer by enema, etc etc. All pap IMO.

0.6 - 0.8 g per kilo body weight on average. A bit more if you are training hard, depending on who you believe. All that stuff in whey will just go right through you into a big turd.

Then there is all this horse about isolate/not isolate.

What a load of belm. Eat some tuna or chick peas, that'll sort you out. PMSL.

Having said all that. I knew a chap who was a bodybuilding competitor. When he was on a build phase he would eat 70 tins of tuna week. He buys it by the pallet! Tuna and rice, liquidised for every meal. Just what is the point? Imagine your breath after that!

• Yeah protein timings and what not, it's all bollocks. But protein whey itself is useful, because it gives you huge amounts of protein in smaller intake. Most mortals don't need that though, just eat a balanced diet like you say.

You can get 140g or more of protein by eating grilled chicken for lunch and dinner. I love chicken so don't find that too difficult. Sometimes switch out for steak. Always adding vegetables and maybe some sort of jar sauce for a bit of flavour.

Athlean-X has a good attitude towards diet. Find the foods you enjoy, and eat those. Basically.

Bye!

Vegetarian for over 25 years mate. Get all my protein from pulses and soy/quorn, and eggs. Seems to do alright. I've had a phase of adding pea protein to beans for breakfast, but it gets a bit anti social....ha
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4317

Whey protein definitely does what it's supposed to, in line with training. I've found it works. I don't think it's bollocks, it has a purpose.

It should be used as the name suggests though - a supplement, not a replacement.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Personally I'll go for one of those Skyr yoghurts if I need a protein boost. But my workout routine is basically not a routine right now, so I'm all over the shop :lol: 

Got my bench and some dumb-bells setup in my room now, so trying to get back into it.

Bye!

• GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2351
    edited October 2019 tFB Trader

My doctor recommended I lose about 1 1/4 st, I had a bit of a beer belly which is a bit old coz I don't drink. That was about 18 months ago I tried all the normal ways of losing weight which is been mentioned above, can't do too much gym work (to old). I do walk everyday, try to do a minimum of 10,000 steps. Never really lost much weight, went up and down but no real loss. It was suggested I go to Slimming World, I was really reluctant to go. Eventually plucked up the courage to go, best thing I ever did. I lost 4 lb in the 1st week, and I've been steadily losing 1-2 lb a week.

There's no calorie counting with Slimming World you just change the type of food you eat. I'm now eating more food than I ever and the weight is still coming off. Don't really understand the science behind Slimming World but it obviously works. The main thing they tell us you should never feel hungry you should never ever miss a meal.

One of the odd things about this I'm now eating foods that Weight Watchers tell you not to eat, for example, a full English breakfast, but Slimming World say it's a good meal to have, I don't have the sausages. I can also have egg and chips, Slimming World sell their own version of oven chips not quite as nice as the real thing but almost as good as McCain oven chips.

There are a few things that I have dropped from my diet, like 2 chocolate hobnobs with my coffee in the morning and afternoon, no more chocolate croissants, although I do have one occasionally. No junk food like KFC, McDonalds, Burger King definitely no fish and chips from the chip shop. Most important no sugary drinks like full fat Pepsi or Coca Cola.

With Slimming World you can eat all the vegetables you like (within reason that is) plus all the fruit you like, it's all classed as free food (no syn value)

You can buy Slimming World ready meals from Iceland they are not bad and there's a lot of it, it's called free food (but it does cosy £3 a meal) I'll have one or two of these a week, the rest of the meals I cook myself from the roar ingredients.

A typical day’s food would be.

Breakfast 2 Weetabix with half a dozen strawberries small amount of semi skimmed milk. Unfortunately fresh orange juice is a no no even if it says no added sugar.

Mid morning a cappuccino with a small biscuit.

For lunch some times a full English 2 fried eggs half a tin of baked beans 3 rashers of bacon (all fat re moved) a few cherry tomatoes, mushrooms and one small slice of wholemeal bread, or a chicken sandwich (small wholemeal bread) Followed by a bowl of fruit consisting of strawberries, raspberry watermelon and a couple of tablespoons a fat free yogurt.

Late afternoon a cappuccino with a small biscuit

Dinner will be either a Slimming World ready meal or I will cook one of the following,  chicken korma and rice, egg chip and peas , a full roast dinner normally with chicken breast, Poached salmon with new potatoes with a bit of salad, poached cod with new potatoes and vegetables, steak and chips (Slimming World chips) peas and mushrooms. Followed by a bowl of fruit consisting of strawberries, raspberry watermelon and a couple of tablespoons a fat free yogurt.

If I have to fry any food it is not cook in fat or oil but with 1 cal spray.

If I feel a bit peckish in between meals I will have an apple or a banana, the sugars in fruit are not the same as the sugar that you put in your tea and coffee. I eat about 300 grams of strawberries and 150 grams raspberry’s plus about 1/4 of a watermelon or honey melon a day.

Once I've reached my target weight (12st) I will be able to add a few extra bits into my menu like sweet and sour chicken, rack of ribs with fries. The one thing that I really miss is fresh orange juice with my breakfast, I'm hoping a small glass will come back on the menu.

There is one downside with Slimming World, going into a large room with 30 or 40 women all talking is very noisy, you don't have to stay, you can just sign in pay get  weighed and leave, I think a lot of the women use it as a social event as well. There's only 3 men in the group.

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

• GSP - I was talking to one of my friends about this and he said to eat 5 meals per day, and oddly enough, you're still meant to be hungry!

I've been training for a week now and yesterday we moved to free weights with lots of different upper body exercises. Still keeping my HIIT in conjunction and looking to go 3 x per week, presently just going 2.

Diet-wise I haven't changed much just reduced carb portions and added in a lot more green vegetables. Tried a couple of days without any carbs and I was very hungry after only an hour! Also between lunch and dinner there's a long gap so I'm making it a plan to have 4 smaller meals spaced out.
  • ShmooShmoo Frets: 109
    I once read an interview years ago with Bruce Willis. he was asked how he slimmed down in preparation  for a role.- he said "I don't eat until my ribs show." (I obviously do not condone this method!)
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3825
    Mmmmmmm....ribs...
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7130
    stir fry is a good tip for those who want to try and eat more veggies, cook it in a good quality olive oil, you feel more satiated, for longer and I'm led to believe that most things (well, most veggies) cooked in this way will retain more nutritional value than when steaming, steaming is great for fish and chicken though

I lost body fat like a champ when I discovered proper stir frying
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • hit the weights hard.
    ots good for muscle mass and bone density.
    also takes stress away.
    i'm 60,have a fussed left ankle and have broken my back in three places,both legs and both arms.so i can't do much cardio.

at 19.5 stone ,i have normal blood pressure,low colestorel and no diabetis..
    i do train heavy three times a week.45 mins a session

• built like a shit brickhouse.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JMP220478JMP220478 Frets: 421
    skay said:
    When people say they want to lose weight, what they should be saying is that they want to lose fat, as you don't want to lose muscle (for aesthetic as well as long term health reasons).

Being in a calorific deficit, without resistance (strength) training will result in some muscle loss, especially if you reduce your protein consumption when cutting calories, and you will end up looking 'skinny' as opposed to 'lean'.

Try 18:6 intermittent fasting (helps with restricting calories without it feeling like you are), with a 3 times per week full body training, while eating around 1g protein per 1lb lean body mass per day, and you'll never be in better shape. 

Started training at 41 years of age to get rid of my pot-belly, been going to the gym regularly for almost 4 years now,  and have never looked or felt better my whole life, I have visible abs now! Would recommend.
    Intermittent fasting work upto super man 20+4 ( 20 hours fast - eat in 4 hour window )  - its easier than you think - combine with Keto based diet ie strict carbs reduction - fat / protein / cruciferous veg  - try occasional water fasts - dont eat late beyond 8pm .. stay off the pop for a while ..

Health benefit is significant - less brain fug - no post lunch lull - type 2 diabetes defense or indeed cure - let alone all the other
    insulin resistance related conditions - big c ; diabetes ; alzheimers; cardio vascular ; heart etc  

Weight loss / fitness starts in the kitchen ...