SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

WTB Soapbar humbucker

Is anyone looking to get rid of a black Soapbar humbucker? I’m after a replacement for the p90 in my Gordon Smith GS1. Just testing the water before I buy new
thank in advance 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14496
    edited September 2019
    Do you require a noise-cancelling, two-coil P90 type pickup or a traditional humbucker that fits into a P90 cavity?

I have a Seymour Duncan "JB90" currently languishing in its box. I keep meaning to try it in my PRS SE One. If I liked that combination, it would free up an Antiquity soapbar P90. 

My faint recollection is that G-S in-house pickups are rarely a match for the big name American brands or, for that matter, the UK builders to be found on this forum.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • 19791979 Frets: 87
    I’m after a pickup that is noise cancelling that would fit in the soapbar cavity. After what you’ve stated above, I think I’ll have to get the dimensions and compare. Thanks for the heads up @Funkfingers .

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27631
    I’ve got one of these ..
    https://www.alegree.co.uk/collections/p90-sized-pickups/products/heat-wave-p90-sized-humbuckers-hot-rodded-style
    ... bought for a project that never happened.  Completely unused.

I’ll check the details if it might work for you.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • 1979 said:
    I’m after a pickup that is noise cancelling that would fit in the soapbar cavity. 
    Your brief includes both of the physical formats I mentioned.

Stacked coil P90 replacement pickups reject hum but the format saps some of the juicy overdriven sound associated with the original design. e.g. Gibson P100, Seymour Duncan STK-P1b, Wilkinson.

Side by side coils P90-sized humbuckers are like the Alegree Heat Wave pickups mentioned by TTony. The bobbins are narrower widthwise than on full sized humbuckers.

Under the Duncan JB90 cover, it is plainly apparent that both butyrate bobbins were shaved along their edges before the copper wire was wound onto them. 

One clue from the Alegree Heat Wave product photograph is that a mini-humbucker or a Firebird pickup should fit into the G-S P90 cavity with the aid of a mounting surround.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • 19791979 Frets: 87
    Thanks @TTony , that looks pretty cool. 

@Funkfingers , I take it that you will at some point try out the Seymour Duncan JB90 in your PRS, I’ll be interested to see how that goes. 
    I’ve heard that P100’s and the like that you mentioned are deeper than a standard sized 90 so I’ve ignored them thus far. 
    Thankyou for your input chap, it’s very kind of you