Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

What makes the Classic Vibe Tele so great?

What's Hot
Been hankering for a tele for some time and I don't have new Fender money so I thought I'd do some research. Looks like the Squier Classic Vibe has a lot of good things said about it, but what makes it one of the best bang for your buck? Pickups? Electrics? Are there second hand Fenders just as good? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    One word - hype
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • They sound pretty good and play pretty well and the double bound ones look fantastic. Skinny necks is the only complaint you hear a lot. Second hand they're a pretty good deal. 
  • thegummy said:
    One word - hype
    thegummy said:
    One word - hype
    No hype, just a damn fine guitar for a very good price, I love mine 

https://i.imgur.com/zQgmIkV.jpg
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • I had a 50's one for a short time...couldn't get on with the skinny neck.  
  • I had a 50's one for a short time...couldn't get on with the skinny neck.  
    I’ve got a 50s style one and also find the neck rather on the slim side, not too slim for me but thinner than I’d expect on a real 50s Tele. The pickups sound great and build quality are very good.
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5865
    I wouldn’t say they’re ‘great’ but the one I had was a good solid tele, no frills or posh bits but played well and sounded like a tele. 

Its not without its shortcomings, the finish is very thick and the neck is not to everyone’s taste but they play well and get the job done. 

I sold it on because I wanted a ‘real’ tele and regretted it. I’ve been through several teles since and now have an even lesser Bullet, which actually suits me even better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Had the Custom double-bound for a while.

Pluses:

it's a properly grown-up tele for not a lot of dosh
    really well-built, pretty much flawless in fact
    sounded very good, played very well
    looks fantastic

Cons:

finish is a bit on the thick side
    neck is slimmer that some might like
    electronics are not so great (easily fixable for cheap on a tele though)

All in all I don't think the hype is unwarranted. I also tried a 50s one for a short while and all the above applied, pickups were possibly nicer though.

If you fancy a slightly fatter neck, Fender on the headstock (and can live with the small frets and 7.25 radius) you can also spend a bit more for a used Classic series but at their price the Classic Vibes are hard to beat I think.
    Click here to see me butchering some classic solos!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 9514
    It’s because people regard the tele as a working man’s guitar so cheap is going to appeal.

As above though, very thick poly finish, skinny neck (thinner than a 60s fender, which isn’t right on a tele), electronics that could do with an upgrade and generally 5-6 piece bodies.

A mate of mine was shopping for a tele this weekend and I got him to go through the ranges at guitarguitar. Every step up in price gave an upgrade in sound and feel, until he got to American original. You don’t have to spend a fortune to get a good tele, but if you’re looking cheap, a used classic player or baja will be a big upgrade on a classic vibe. If you can stretch, a used highway one/American special will be another upgrade and they aren’t daft money either.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Get a vintage v75.

When I was shopping around for a tele under £500, these were better than the MIM player teles. Most of the squier/fender stuff is suffering from skinny necks these days, and the CV teles are very much guilty of this. I had a CV 60s tele for a while. It was lovely, but after a few months the neck just became uncomfortable to play for anything more than 30 mins or so. 

The Vintage 75 teles have good sized necks, wilkinson hardware, and alder bodies. Some have a classic tele headstock too. 

Here's a reduced price one for new - 

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/223670922490
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I had a Classic Vibe Butterscotch model. Was a great guitar. Not the best in the world, but a hell of a bang for your buck. 

The neck is slim, and the poly finish is stupidly thick, but it’s still a fine guitar.  I would often joke that the neck was just a matchstick, and the rest of it was poly. 

Regardless, I really liked it, was fun to play and nothing needed replacing.  Later I bought a 50’s Baja. Now, that’s a tele!  Beefy V neck, great pickups, nicer hardware. Damn fine guitar.  

I could quite happily live with a Classic Vibe tele.  But, much prefer the Baja. If you can afford the difference, get the Baja. 
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12449
    They are great guitars, but to be honest, the Vintage V52 feels as good and sounds as good to me as any Tele I've played.All Wilkinson hardware The pickups are quality, nice and clear both neck and bridge and it is dead light. If you can handle the non Fender headstock then you should check it out..
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • For me, the G&L Tribute models are better guitars. I’ve not played a recent one, but mine is easily a match for a Mexican made Fender.

Only downside is, for me, the best sounding ASAT is the Special, with the big pickups and saddle lock bridge, which is not as traditional looking as the Classic, with the tele sized pickups and bridge.
  • Anyone tried the revelation TE54 yet ? Similar price to the Squier and if it’s as well made as their Jazzmaster it’ll be a good buy ?
  • Thanks chaps, really useful info. If I go for a CV I'd want the 3 colour burst, which are a little hard to come by used and are more expensive than the other colours new, if you can even get one. Good to know that there are used Fenders out there that are a step up - will start looking at used Bajas and MIM's. Not really bothered about the name on the headstock either so Vintage or G&L are well worth exploring. £400-£500 is probably my max budget though.
  • notanonnotanon Frets: 617
    Anyone tried the revelation TE54 yet ? Similar price to the Squier and if it’s as well made as their Jazzmaster it’ll be a good buy ?
    I tried a TE54 superb value. A soft V neck which tapered off.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • joetelejoetele Frets: 954
    Get a vintage v75.

When I was shopping around for a tele under £500, these were better than the MIM player teles. Most of the squier/fender stuff is suffering from skinny necks these days, and the CV teles are very much guilty of this. I had a CV 60s tele for a while. It was lovely, but after a few months the neck just became uncomfortable to play for anything more than 30 mins or so. 

The Vintage 75 teles have good sized necks, wilkinson hardware, and alder bodies. Some have a classic tele headstock too. 

Here's a reduced price one for new - 

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/223670922490
    They are great guitars, but to be honest, the Vintage V52 feels as good and sounds as good to me as any Tele I've played.All Wilkinson hardware The pickups are quality, nice and clear both neck and bridge and it is dead light. If you can handle the non Fender headstock then you should check it out..
    Sparky said:
    Thanks chaps, really useful info. If I go for a CV I'd want the 3 colour burst, which are a little hard to come by used and are more expensive than the other colours new, if you can even get one. Good to know that there are used Fenders out there that are a step up - will start looking at used Bajas and MIM's. Not really bothered about the name on the headstock either so Vintage or G&L are well worth exploring. £400-£500 is probably my max budget though.
    The Vintage Teles are some of the best guitars they build - and can be regularly bought for £100-200 (so you could buy two!).

I've got the V72 semi-hollow with the bridge singlecoil and neck mini bucker, and it's fantastic. Stays in tune, satin neck feels great, top Wilkinson parts and pickups, and actually looks great too. And the clarity and richness of the pickups is a massive surprise - in particular the bridge singlecoil with the ashtray bridge and brass saddles - it growls and snarls. I actually prefer the sound to that of my MIM Tele. The only thing I'd want on the Vintage from the MIM Tele is the silky neck. 

After playing the V72 I actually want to investigate the other Vintage Teles further, and their offset stuff. 
    MUSIC: Pale Blurs
  • I had a 50's butterscotch and with a pickup upgrade it sounded awesome. I kind of regret getting rid of it. I often find myself searching ebay for a CV 50's body to build another guitar with.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
  • Sparky said:
    Thanks chaps, really useful info. If I go for a CV I'd want the 3 colour burst, which are a little hard to come by used and are more expensive than the other colours new, if you can even get one. Good to know that there are used Fenders out there that are a step up - will start looking at used Bajas and MIM's. Not really bothered about the name on the headstock either so Vintage or G&L are well worth exploring. £400-£500 is probably my max budget though.
    You should be able to get a used Mexican Tele for this money.
  • mark123mark123 Frets: 1333
    Wonder if its cost  factor that the classic vibes don't have fat necks? 
    It would double the sales if they did.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19275
    mark123 said:
    Wonder if its cost  factor that the classic vibes don't have fat necks? 
    It would double the sales if they did.
    Most likely it was by design.
    Besides not everyone likes fat necks, shock, horror  ;)
    Also if they did make them, the sales might well impact on the higher priced ranges.

Similarly the thick finish, if they thin skinned them...  B)