Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Shoulder hurts - stress relieving guitar strap recommendations?

What's Hot
MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
Have had quite a few gigs recently, and I think not unrelated I've noticed some pain in my left shoulder lately. Current guitar strap is 2.5 wide suede job, unpadded, and I'm thinking to get one of the neoprene rubber padded type and a bit wider. Maybe one of the Kliq aircell ones, but anyone have any recommendations? cheers :)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11404
    See a physio.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6406
    As @scrumhalf says - get thee to a medic.

But yes - wider/padded is goodness.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • You could go the Steve Albini route and buy a extra long strap that you strap around your waist. Puts all the weight on your hips.
  • MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    Thank you chaps, good points well made. Not sure the Steve Albini idea would work for me as I like the guitar fairly high, and he is pretty much opposite to that.

Was hoping for specific "I had a similar problem and bought this strap and all my problems were solved" type recommendations :D I admit, and maybe it's not that simple. But still there look to be quite a few likely contenders out there that should at least help, so I will try something.
  • Do a BB and just sit down  =)
    Click here to see me butchering some classic solos!
    Do a BB and just sit down  =)
    Cheers - I actually do that for maybe half the gigs, and it does help. But due to the way I play, I still have the guitar on a strap, and there's still a bit of pressure on the shoulder as a result I guess. BB had a point though, I won't deny it.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11500
    Get to a gym and get in better shape (that is assuming that you don't do this already)
    crunchman said:
    Get to a gym and get in better shape (that is assuming that you don't do this already)
    Ok, thanks - that is a fair and serious point also to be honest, not that I would have said I'm in terrible shape or anything. No specific strap recommendations though anyone?
  • Physio > new strap.

But if you do want to buy a strap I like the neotech mega
    Physio > new strap.

But if you do want to buy a strap I like the neotech mega
    Cheers, right, physio - got it. But I do want to buy a strap, so cheers will look into the neotech mega. :)
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6150
    The Neotech is a great strap, it made wearing a 10lb bass comfortably bearable. I've suffered with severe neck probs for years and anything over 7lbs was difficult to cope with but following a recommendation from someone here I tried one out and it' was a godsend. Check on the length of the strap you choose if you go with one; I think I went with a medium after reading the sizing instructions but I could really have done with something a bit longer. It's so comfortable though that I was happy to keep it.
    edited September 2019
    JezWynd said:
    The Neotech is a great strap, it made wearing a 10lb bass comfortably bearable. I've suffered with severe neck probs for years and anything over 7lbs was difficult to cope with but following a recommendation from someone here I tried one out and it' was a godsend. Check on the length of the strap you choose if you go with one; I think I went with a medium after reading the sizing instructions but I could really have done with something a bit longer. It's so comfortable though that I was happy to keep it.
    Cheers, was just looking into the lengh I would need - I seem to use straps in the range 110 to 120 cm, which looks like a Midsize Neotech would be the one for me also. I always thought I used a fairly short strap length, but some people must really have their guitars just under their chins - the Regular and Short Neotech straps are both shorter than the one I'd want.
  • When I played bass (my basses were 5 string, so prob averaged around 10lbs) I used to use Comfort Strapps.  Wide, padded, spreads the weight and non-slip.  Nowadays I'm playing lighter guitars and can be a bit less fussed about how well my straps spread the weight but I've still go an old Comfort Strapp on my Les Paul.  Not the prettiest strap I own but very functional (and nobody notices guitar straps anyway).

I get the impression other companies are making similar straps now,

JezWynd is right, watch out for length on straps mainly designed for bass players, you will probably want a long rather than medium or short.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • Any make of strap will do, just make sure it's wide and well padded.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Cheers guys,  Comfort Strapps looks great also - one I would not have come across left to my own devices.

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6406
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    Jalapeno said:
    They look nice @Jalapeno - unfortunately, looking at the length adjustment ranges, I would need to buy two (having just measured my current straps - I have one guitar where I need 110 cm, and another where I use 120 cm, and they don't do a size that covers both of these.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33896
    Megii said:
    Cheers guys,  Comfort Strapps looks great also - one I would not have come across left to my own devices.

They are really good.

I might have a spare one you can have for a forum funds donation if you can wait a week.
    It is in my Singapore shipment that I will be receiving at the weekend.
  • phil_bphil_b Frets: 2011
    Man up
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom