Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Shoulder hurts - stress relieving guitar strap recommendations?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• This is a very timely post. Just had to have a pacemaker fitted and it's right where a strap sits, right by the collar bone. Played standing for the first time last night after having it done a couple of weeks ago and it's not comfortable at all with a conventional wide leather strap. Wondering whether a neoprene one would help? Anyone else been in the same situation?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • how heavy is the guitar?

those straps that stretch a bit would be good, I had a laptop bag with a strap like that once, really made it feel lighter because it absorbed the pressure when you moved
  • Definitely physio. And it’s just as likely to be back pain presenting in the shoulder. 

However, the Mono Betty is a great strap for spreading the load comfortably. I’m afraid I’m a bit of a snob, and don’t think it looks that cool. But it sure does the job. 
  • MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    how heavy is the guitar?

those straps that stretch a bit would be good, I had a laptop bag with a strap like that once, really made it feel lighter because it absorbed the pressure when you moved
    Several guitars in fact (I have too many) but mainly they're aren't what you'd consider outrageously heavy - maybe seven to eight pounds or so I'd guess. I have one walnut body strat that's probably more like nine pounds. But when you've got that weight hanging from your shoulder for a couple of hours, several nights a week, I think it can still have an impact. I believe a lot of the neoprene straps do have the stretch you're talking about.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33870
    Megii said:
    how heavy is the guitar?

Several guitars in fact (I have too many) but mainly they're aren't what you'd consider outrageously heavy - maybe seven to eight pounds or so I'd guess. I have one walnut body strat that's probably more like nine pounds. But when you've got that weight hanging from your shoulder for a couple of hours, several nights a week, I think it can still have an impact. I believe a lot of the neoprene straps do have the stretch you're talking about.
    They do.

Also consider playing when seated.
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    edited September 2019
    A lot of people recommending physio first line. Unfortunately you can have all the physio you like but if you don't remove the exacerbant/ cause of repeated strain the symptoms will return. Looking at a better strap or lighter guitar before seeking medical treatment is pretty valid.
  • MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    Thanks again for all the advice and recommendations - still have yet to order a strap, but it will be one (or possibly two) from those recommended. :)
  • I tried all the big straps for bass... GruvGear Neo won for me! And with guitar it's like you're not holding anything at all...
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5006
    Is there a strap that loops over both shoulders?
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• Levy's No1 stretch strap
    Less is more
  • I was thinking of selling my Les Paul. It was too heavy for my shoulder and causing aches and pains.

And then I bought a KLIQ AirCell strap. Absolutely amazing. Not had a twinge since. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07281SLFH/

• zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    edited September 2019
    I don’t know if it’s already been mentioned but what about one of those straps/slings that Walter Trout uses that goes over both shoulders? It’ll spread the weight evenly and should help ease the pain.

Edit: https://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Planet-Waves-Dare-Guitar-Strap-Black/DGY?origin=product-ads&gclid=EAIaIQobChMImt-cqsPu5AIV2eFRCh0u8gXwEAQYASABEgKx8fD_BwE
    Tomorrow will be a good day.