MIJ Aria Pro Les Paul (I think)

What's Hot
DeeTeeDeeTee Frets: 764
There's a guitar that's come up for sale near me, and I'm quite tempted. I need to see what the serial number is, but it might be a year of birth guitar for me. It's got the proper Les Paul shape and open book headstock, with a set neck. I think it's MIJ, but not sure.

Thing is, I can't find out much about it. I think it's an LC 750 from somewhere around 1977-1980. I've seen a few things suggesting that it's a maple neck and might be a pancake body. It's unlikely the store would let me take it apart to find out more! 

Would anyone more knowledgeable than me be able to tell from this photo? I'll pop in soon to see if I can get more info. The price equates to about £300.

https://paulsboutique.ca/product/aria-pro-3-custom/
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• AdeyAdey Frets: 2378
    Have you had a look on the Matsumoku website? That's the best source of income for these guitars I know of.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72927
    Looks like it to me, although I’m not sure of the model number. Any Aria from before the late 80s is made in Japan.

It may well have a hollow ply top, but I think it has proper humbuckers - hard to be certain from the pic resolution but they don’t look like they have the oversized pole screws of the cheapo single coils. Hard to tell from the photo if it’s a bolt-on or set neck - could be either.

If it’s a bolt-on and hollow top that’s probably all it’s worth, if it’s a set neck it’s a little cheap, and if it’s a fully solid body it’s a bargain.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• King85King85 Frets: 631
    I don't know anything about it but i do know is very nice looking
  • joetelejoetele Frets: 954
    ICBM said:
    Looks like it to me, although I’m not sure of the model number. Any Aria from before the late 80s is made in Japan.

It may well have a hollow ply top, but I think it has proper humbuckers - hard to be certain from the pic resolution but they don’t look like they have the oversized pole screws of the cheapo single coils. Hard to tell from the photo if it’s a bolt-on or set neck - could be either.

If it’s a bolt-on and hollow top that’s probably all it’s worth, if it’s a set neck it’s a little cheap, and if it’s a fully solid body it’s a bargain.
    It says set neck on the advert...
    MUSIC: Pale Blurs
  • DeeTeeDeeTee Frets: 764
    I did check out the Matsumoku site and based on this page I thought it might be the LC 750. http://www.matsumoku.org/models/ariaproii/copies/lc/lc.html

Only thing is, that says ebony fretboard but the one for sale definitely isn't ebony. That's the lowest model with gold hardware though.
    Don't take the "spec" sheet as gospel with the older MIJ guitars - they are more like "guide lines" and "subject to change without notice".

Adey said:
    Don't take the "spec" sheet as gospel with the older MIJ guitars - they are more like "guide lines" and "subject to change without notice".

That seems to be true! The headstock inlay, for example, doesn't appear anywhere that I can see. 

I think I'll have to pop in and just try to knock on the top to see if it's hollow. If it is, I'll pass. If not, I might just grab it.

I think that the specs were a bit "fluid" at that time and a "Mark 1" didn't change into a "Mark 2"  in one go, there were lots of little changes. After 6 months they seemed to decide it was now a new model. That's what makes them so much fun - there are numerous "rare and collectable one-offs" (that have no more enhanced value than any of the others...)

Looks nice though.
    I spoke to the store, and it's definitely MIJ. They say it's an LC 500, late 70s, solid maple cap. I think that might still be a good deal. What do you think?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72927
    edited September 2019
    Being made in Japan is not in doubt, they all were.

Check the top is definitely solid, and if it is then it's a good deal.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• NikcNikc Frets: 629
    i'd buy it in a heart beat Aria made stunning guitars back then
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I'd guess LC 500 sounds about the right model, as it hasn't got fret nibs. I'd expect it to have a solid body & top & I think the 3 screw TRC might indicate it's an older one as the add says. The thing that is unusual about it to me is that it seems to have a bridge with posts that screw into bushings like a modern Epiphone. Most of the Aria LPs I've seen have threaded posts that go into the body & a bigger bridge more like a Nashville. But I agree with @Adey 100% there might be transitional models & my own guess is that there was a bit of a "get it out the door" culture so they maybe sometimes put out hybrids with whatever parts were available, not seconds, or bad quality, just oddities. That's just a theory though.
    The knobs look right for that age & interestingly it has a sharpish horn like a 70's Gibson. The Aria LPs seem to be modelled after the Norlin models, often have 3 piece necks, a volute & sometimes a pancake body, but the construction is top quality & some of the standard pickups are excellent (in my opinion). Definitely worth a look.
  • PS might well have a long tenon neck joint.
    I'd like to be able to get the neck pickup out and have a look, but I don't think they'd let me do that in the shop. Will go and have a look tomorrow. Might just have to be the knock test!
    BUY IT !!!!!!

:-)
  • rocktronrocktron Frets: 806
    edited September 2019
    Deleted by OP.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30319
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3681
    It's post 75 if it's a pro, looks nice, my guess is mid to late 70s. Try the Face book group.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    Did you find out what the serial number is?

The first number is usually the year reference on these. so if it starts with an 8 it's probably a 1978 guitar. If it starts with a 1, it's probably 1981.
    But I'd probably agree with Robgilm's guess about the age...
    Adey said:
    Did you find out what the serial number is?

The first number is usually the year reference on these. so if it starts with an 8 it's probably a 1978 guitar. If it starts with a 1, it's probably 1981.
    But I'd probably agree with Robgilm's guess about the age...
    Not yet. I asked, but they don't give them out over phone/email. I'm going to have a look in a few hours, should be able to see then if it's on the headstock. If it's not, it'll be in the pickup cavity, which will be a pain.