Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

2019 Studio Build - Back to the UK.

What's Hot

Comments

• octatonic said:
    kjdowd said:
    Branshen said:
    Will be following closely! Do post some photos showing the hardware routing via patchbays if you can! Interested in how you keep all your hardware routing organised. 
    Seconded. Great thread and I'd love to know more about the routing. At the moment I integrate some (limited) outboard but I'm sure I could be doing it better...
    I will be back in the UK in a couple of days so will be starting that then.

Routing is essentially doubled up, I can route digitally or via analogue patchbays.
    Analogue means I have to physically patch between an output and an input, it has no latency but requires cables.
    Digital does introduce some latency, about 0.25ms per hop via Dante, if there is no AD/DA conversion.

I'm using 96 channels of IO into the computer, 48 ins and 48 outs, they are all used, extra devices get patched via analogue as required.
    It is all on Audio Accessories bantam 96 way patchbays with DB25 connectors, I have 4 of these, more than I currently need but with room to grow.

I don't know anyone else who does this sort of analogue patchbay & Dante arrangement.
    I can't be the only one doing it but the reading behind doubling it up is I use a lot of digital and analogue gear.
    I can take any computer output and use it with the now moderately massive Eurorack modular synthesiser system.
    If I wanted to I could use 48 channels of outputs purely for modulation sources for the Modular, or as IO channels for parallel processing, or anything else.
    It is a very flexible system, especially compared to my last studio, which was all digital.
    Its interesting to hear you describe a hybrid setup as more flexible, what is it that the outboard is bringing that you cant get in the box? I'd have thought trying to recall anything would be a giant ass pain. 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33798
    octatonic said:
    kjdowd said:
    Branshen said:
    Will be following closely! Do post some photos showing the hardware routing via patchbays if you can! Interested in how you keep all your hardware routing organised. 
    Seconded. Great thread and I'd love to know more about the routing. At the moment I integrate some (limited) outboard but I'm sure I could be doing it better...

Routing is essentially doubled up, I can route digitally or via analogue patchbays.
    Analogue means I have to physically patch between an output and an input, it has no latency but requires cables.
    Digital does introduce some latency, about 0.25ms per hop via Dante, if there is no AD/DA conversion.

I'm using 96 channels of IO into the computer, 48 ins and 48 outs, they are all used, extra devices get patched via analogue as required.
    It is all on Audio Accessories bantam 96 way patchbays with DB25 connectors, I have 4 of these, more than I currently need but with room to grow.

I don't know anyone else who does this sort of analogue patchbay & Dante arrangement.
    I can't be the only one doing it but the reading behind doubling it up is I use a lot of digital and analogue gear.
    I can take any computer output and use it with the now moderately massive Eurorack modular synthesiser system.
    If I wanted to I could use 48 channels of outputs purely for modulation sources for the Modular, or as IO channels for parallel processing, or anything else.
    It is a very flexible system, especially compared to my last studio, which was all digital.
    Its interesting to hear you describe a hybrid setup as more flexible, what is it that the outboard is bringing that you cant get in the box? I'd have thought trying to recall anything would be a giant ass pain. 
    It is a sound thing, rather than anything else.

I tend to commit sounds during tracking so recall isn't as much of a pain as it might appear.
    Also there is a tendency to overuse plugins when mixing wholly in the box.
    Using the outboard forces a different workflow- commit to a sound, don't endlessly tweak and once it is mixed, it is mixed.
    Recall can be a hinderance in this regard, you end up making things endlessly different but not better.

Some of the gear is essentially set and forget- the SSL Bus compressor, for instance, never moves from its setting because it sound best at that setting.

• octatonic said:
    octatonic said:
    kjdowd said:
    Branshen said:

It is a sound thing, rather than anything else.

I tend to commit sounds during tracking so recall isn't as much of a pain as it might appear.
    Also there is a tendency to overuse plugins when mixing wholly in the box.
    Using the outboard forces a different workflow- commit to a sound, don't endlessly tweak and once it is mixed, it is mixed.
    Recall can be a hinderance in this regard, you end up making things endlessly different but not better.

Some of the gear is essentially set and forget- the SSL Bus compressor, for instance, never moves from its setting because it sound best at that setting.

I'd heard the set and forget thing a few times on the URM podcast too. I guess in that sense once you've put the effort in to find the magic settings your workflow actually gets quicker. Sill I cant help but feel with discipline that approach could be used in the box too. 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Still cabling.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6391
    Lordy ! A big job ......
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • octatonic said:
    Still cabling
    after all these years.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    octatonic said:
    Still cabling
    after all these years.
    Given every cable is made by me with a soldering iron... kinda yeah.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27525
    That is reasonably impressive.

yeah, OK, it’s bloody impressive.  
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • I think you've spent more on just your chair than ive spent on my entire personal recording setup. Yikes. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3869
    munckee said:
    BigMonka said:
    octatonic said:

Isn't that the panel that NASA used in Houston during the moon landings?

I mainly use forums for living vicariously through other people, and this thread is ticking all the boxes very nicely! So keep those pictures coming!
    I'm fairly sure the three sliders on the left near the orange buttons are the ones he used to destroy Alderaan.
    Genius
  • kjdowdkjdowd Frets: 852
    octatonic said:
    Still cabling.

Wow. It's that a Nucleus on the desk there?
    kjdowd said:
    octatonic said:
    Still cabling.

Wow. It's that a Nucleus on the desk there?
    Yes a Nucleus 2 Dark.
    I think you've spent more on just your chair than ive spent on my entire personal recording setup. Yikes. 
    Actually that was a gift.
    So I thought this would be a good idea.
    I'm not sure now.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonic said:
    I'm not sure now.

under which circumstances do you go for the Axe or the Kemper?
  • I think its a pretty good idea!
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    octatonic said:
    I'm not sure now.

under which circumstances do you go for the Axe or the Kemper?
    They do pretty different jobs.
    If I want anything that sounds clean to on-the-edge broken upon it is the Kemper.
    Anything with a lot of effects, my 'guitar-as-synthesiser' sounds then it is the Axe FX II.

I often use one into the other- with the Kemper amps driving the Axe III FX's.
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    octatonic said:
    Update.
    I've moved things into the places they need to be.
    Nothing is cables yet- that is about 2 weeks of work.

Just looking through some of these again... What's the unit between your distressor and the summit?
    Yeah that is a compounder.