PHOTO COMPETITION — COMMENTS THREAD

What's Hot

Comments

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11972
    Jimbro66 said:
    boogieman said:
    Thanks for the comment @Jimbro66. I thought the dog shot fitted the brief better but I liked both pics...it was a hard choice. Both were taken with my new (to me) Sony Rx100 rather than my usual Canon 5d3. It’s a cracking  thing, the image quality is stunning for such a tiny little camera. 

@boogieman I’m amazed that a camera with a sensor maybe a fifth the size (?) of your 5D3’s produces such impressive images. Incredible technology. I have to say that I have all but given up on my bulky DSLR and lenses kit in favour of a little Fuji X-E3 with a few small prime lenses. As they say, the best camera is the one you have with you.

that's the way I went, sold my Canon 5D mk1 after 10 years to move to Fuji X.
    The Lowepro full of Canon gear had started to get left behind at home for every holiday, every day out
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    boogieman said:
    ToneControl said: I remember one friend getting his first autofocus compact 35mm camera around 1993-94, and starting to come up with well-composed pictures just from days out with his girlfriend after 3 rolls of film, and no training or research.

Contrast that with a guy who worked for me around 2007, who bought a decent Canon small-sensor DSLR, and took photography incredibly seriously, who was still taking truly awful photos at least 3 years later. Another guy from back then bought a 5D and all the glass, and took the most boring photos too. Mind you, that reflected his personality I think. 
    My dad was the ultimate all the gear and no idea photographer. He had some nice cameras over the years but always managed to screw up the shots somehow, usually vastly overexposed or out of focus. He was also pretty mean with his film... when he died I was going through his stuff and found one 24 shot slide film that he’d somehow managed to eke out over two years, including a spectacular trip across the mountains from Switzerland into Italy. 

Contrast that with his brother, who only had a fairly modest SLR, but did all his own developing and printing and turned out some lovely shots. 
    My first camera was a Zenit E, I think it was less than £20 second hand around 1980

All manual, just a basic light meter built in.
    I used to use a roll of film up over a couple of weeks, then get it processed. 
    It would have been so much easier to learn and improve with a DSLR!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12421
    boogieman said:
    ToneControl said: I remember one friend getting his first autofocus compact 35mm camera around 1993-94, and starting to come up with well-composed pictures just from days out with his girlfriend after 3 rolls of film, and no training or research.

Contrast that with a guy who worked for me around 2007, who bought a decent Canon small-sensor DSLR, and took photography incredibly seriously, who was still taking truly awful photos at least 3 years later. Another guy from back then bought a 5D and all the glass, and took the most boring photos too. Mind you, that reflected his personality I think. 
    My dad was the ultimate all the gear and no idea photographer. He had some nice cameras over the years but always managed to screw up the shots somehow, usually vastly overexposed or out of focus. He was also pretty mean with his film... when he died I was going through his stuff and found one 24 shot slide film that he’d somehow managed to eke out over two years, including a spectacular trip across the mountains from Switzerland into Italy. 

Contrast that with his brother, who only had a fairly modest SLR, but did all his own developing and printing and turned out some lovely shots. 
    My first camera was a Zenit E, I think it was less than £20 second hand around 1980

I’ve still got my Zenit. Really clunky but built like a tank. When the apocalypse comes, all that will be left are cockroaches, Nokia mobiles and Zenits. 
    I’ve still got my first semi-decent 35mm too, a Beirette sold by Boots. I bought it in the 60s through saving up my pocket money for months on end. 
  • I might have a go next month. Will see what I can muster up with the Huawei.
    Just so people are aware. I have no idea what any of these words mean.
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5796
    beed84 said:
    My votes are:

1. @Jonathangus – lots of character and very well suited to theme. Love it 
    2. @dazzajl – because it's intense, moody, and strangely captivating
    3. @littlegreenman – I love how you've captured light and dark with your shot. I'm glad you submitted it!

Great effort all. Keep up the good work   

Actually read that as “because he’s.....”

How fabulous it would have been  :3
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2417
    dazzajl said:
    beed84 said:
    My votes are:

1. @Jonathangus – lots of character and very well suited to theme. Love it 
    2. @dazzajl – because it's intense, moody, and strangely captivating
    3. @littlegreenman – I love how you've captured light and dark with your shot. I'm glad you submitted it!

Great effort all. Keep up the good work   

Actually read that as “because he’s.....”

How fabulous it would have been  :3
    Who's saying you're not "it"?  ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Competition for February is now up. 

Also, I'm thinking of changing the rules slightly, which I hope will benefit everyone. I'll report back this weekend with my thoughts. In the meantime, happy snapping :)
  • I will have a go this time round. Already have a shot in mind.
  • boogieman said:
    boogieman said:

I’ve still got my Zenit. Really clunky but built like a tank. When the apocalypse comes, all that will be left are cockroaches, Nokia mobiles and Zenits. 
    I’ve still got my first semi-decent 35mm too, a Beirette sold by Boots. I bought it in the 60s through saving up my pocket money for months on end. 
    My first new camera was a Zenit E too in about 1980. I’ve still got it somewhere. I’m still only on my second - A Pentax K1000, which is pretty similar spec but much better made and with a wider choice of lenses etc. I’m getting nostalgic for film.
    I'll get a round to buying a 'real' guitar one day.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    I will have a go this time round. Already have a shot in mind.

Give us a clue ... I'm stumped (other than the obvious jump off a cliff) .. :-)

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • Fretwired said:

I've had a few goes at it and can't get it right. I'll DM you if you want and show you my idea.

It involves a "faith" building which joins onto somewhere that I took a metaphorical leap of faith to go to.
  • cj73cj73 Frets: 1003
    OK...so my obtuse mindset might have thrown up a bit of a challenge for the challenge,

I was thinking it it was a fairly open target..it's a leap year, it's February(the leap month) and faith can mean so much to so many......or if you can afford a trip to Petra to re-enact the path of god..
  • Fretwired said:

I've had a few goes at it and can't get it right. I'll DM you if you want and show you my idea.

It involves a "faith" building which joins onto somewhere that I took a metaphorical leap of faith to go to.
    Could I have a look at your ideas please? I literally haven’t got a clue for this month... sorry @cj73 :anguished: 
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• SnagsSnags Frets: 5407
    edited February 2020
    cj73 said:
    OK...so my obtuse mindset might have thrown up a bit of a challenge for the challenge,

I was thinking it it was a fairly open target..it's a leap year, it's February(the leap month) and faith can mean so much to so many......or if you can afford a trip to Petra to re-enact the path of god..

I've got some great photos of Petra from 2007. Do you think I can sneak those into the "Must be taken during the fortnight" rule?
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • cj73cj73 Frets: 1003
    Snags said:
    cj73 said:

I've got some great photos of Petra from 2007. Do you think I can sneak those into the "Must be taken during the fortnight" rule?
    Probably not now you've said that  ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    I had thought about getting a picture of a happy couple leaving a church ... :-)

I'm stumped though .... no big hills around where I live for a landscape shot.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • Its always either pissing it down, too dark, or too busy for my shot to work.

I'm having more framing issues than I'd want too...
    Fretwired said:
    I had thought about getting a picture of a happy couple leaving a church ... :-)

That’s a great idea!
    beed84 said:
    Fretwired said:

That’s a great idea!
    heh, I was just thinking this, I was at my friends' civil partnership ceremony yesterday, and took photos of the document signing - but would not enter these of course
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12421
    I’m away in New Zealand at the moment. We did a zip line experience down a forest on a mountainside last week, which would’ve made a great photo opportunity and fitted the theme perfectly. Unfortunately I didn’t take any photos myself, although the guides that took us down the wires took some. Oh well, there’s always next month.