PHOTO COMPETITION — COMMENTS THREAD

What's Hot

Comments

• After mentioning other people’s “cast offs”, I realise I never posted my own, so here goes. I was very lucky to have a good few as I was on holibobs 

The first 2 were from volcanic regions in Kyushu, where autumn is settling in nicely with lots of warm colours. 

While these were in Yakushima. I actually adore the last one, but it was actually taken on 28 Oct, so not eligible anyway.

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2414
    edited November 2019
    @stickyfiddle nice "cast-offs". What camera/lenses did you use? They've produced really nice levels of black, particularly on the third photo 

I have no idea what I'm on about btw, but I suppose this is how us amateurs learn!

EDIT: I'm also appreciative of putting the camera on auto after shots.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @beed84 Cheers! The whole trip was all X-T3, with either the 18-135 or 35 f1.4, or very occasionally the 10-24. I have the 23 f2 as well, but that doesn't see as much use as the others are so damn good.

#1 here was 10-24, #2 was the 18-135, and the others were the 35 f1.4, which is just magic. 

All fairly simply processed in Lightroom to darken blacks and up saturation a smidge. I think #1 and #3 had a little bit of lift to the bottom of the S-curve so the blacks so they're actually fractionally grey, but only a couple of minutes given to each shot. 
    @beed84 Cheers! The whole trip was all X-T3, with either the 18-135 or 35 f1.4, or very occasionally the 10-24. I have the 23 f2 as well, but that doesn't see as much use as the others are so damn good.

#1 here was 10-24, #2 was the 18-135, and the others were the 35 f1.4, which is just magic. 

All fairly simply processed in Lightroom to darken blacks and up saturation a smidge. I think #1 and #3 had a little bit of lift to the bottom of the S-curve so the blacks so they're actually fractionally grey, but only a couple of minutes given to each shot. 
    Okay. I understood some of that. I think. I'm really looking forward to that day when I fully appreciate the difference and quality of certain lenses, and how to use them. Also, it seems like there's a lot of love for Fuji equipment on here. Maybe a celebratory treat when I've become at bit more accomplished! 
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2430
    Congrats on your competition win @beed84! And to @poopot and @stickyfiddle for their second and third places. Well done also all who entered. A really good selection of varied images and themes within the competition subject.

Looking forward to seeing what subject @stickyfiddle will choose for the Dec competition. Hopefully it won't need a trip to Japan ;) :)
    Thanks chaps. Thanks to everyone who entered, too! 

@Stickyfiddle was a little premature with revealing the theme, so you've got a good head start to think about it. I'll get an official flyer up by the end of next week  :)
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5770
    YES!!!

Done and in before I forget, get distracted or just lose track of time. Again  :3
  • Nice, I like that a lot. 

Despite it being my theme, I have, so far, no frickin clue what I'm doing. 10 days to go...
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5770
    Nice, I like that a lot. 

Despite it being my theme, I have, so far, no frickin clue what I'm doing. 10 days to go...
    Thank you. It wasn’t taken for the comp, just a grab shot on the school run this morning. One of the amazing views across the Farm where I live and since it amazes me every day and I’m constantly thankful for the opportunity to live there, it seemed perfect. 
  • I've been thinking about this one since before the start of the month... so many things I considered... but I couldn't decide. And then today it hit me: electricity and running water in my home, and technology that allows me to keep in touch with the world in seconds. And as an added bonus, the image on my phone is my wife and stepdaughter, who every day make everything better :heart: 
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• WindmillGuitarsWindmillGuitars Frets: 731
    tFB Trader
    Done ... thankful for my incredibly photogenic (IMHO) daughter
    www.windmillguitars.com - Official stockist of Yamaha, Maybach, Fano Guitars, Kithara Guitars, Eastman Guitars, Trent Guitars, Orange Amps, Blackstar Amplification & More! (The artist formerly known as Anchorboy)
  • Anchorboy said:
    Done ... thankful for my incredibly photogenic (IMHO) daughter
    That's a lovely photo, mate :)
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

edited December 2019
    dazzajl said:
    YES!!!

Done and in before I forget, get distracted or just lose track of time. Again  3
    Yes indeed! That’s a beautiful photo – well done on capturing it on the off chance 
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3499
    So how does this photo competition thing work guys?
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12383
    robgilmo said:
    So how does this photo competition thing work guys?
    Details are in this thread.  ;)

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/168866/photo-competition-3-december-2019#latest
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3499
    Thanks Boogie, I think I may have broken the rules, the no comment rule? I titled my photo, is that allowed?
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    No time for a proper entry this month - so I just posted cute to try to garner the aaah-vote
    robgilmo said:
    Thanks Boogie, I think I may have broken the rules, the no comment rule? I titled my photo, is that allowed?
    A title is fine  :)
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12383
    beed84 said:
    robgilmo said:
    A title is fine  :)
    I don’t think anyone’s going to get their knickers in a twist about just a title. I think @beed84 ’s idea of keeping comments in a separate thread was so the actual photos don’t get massively spread out between stacks of posts of just written comments.  ;)
    boogieman said:
    beed84 said:
    robgilmo said:
    A title is fine 
    I don’t think anyone’s going to get their knickers in a twist about just a title. I think @beed84 ’s idea of keeping comments in a separate thread was so the actual photos don’t get massively spread out between stacks of posts of just written comments. 
    ✔️