PHOTO COMPETITION — COMMENTS THREAD

What's Hot

Comments

• Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2431
    Didn’t manage to submit an entry to my own comp due to being laid low by a very nasty virus and unable to go out.

@Haytch, when I first saw your entry I couldn’t see the market connection but zoomed in and saw the guy’s spread of wares on the sheet on the ground. A very interesting composition and a well deserved win. Congrats.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Morning all. New competition thread is up :)

Sorry you've been poorly @Jimbro66 - hope you're feeling better now?
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• JayceeJaycee Frets: 312
    This months theme is open to a varied interpretation should be interesting .....
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5691
    Jimbro66 said:
    Didn’t manage to submit an entry to my own comp due to being laid low by a very nasty virus and unable to go out.

@Haytch, when I first saw your entry I couldn’t see the market connection but zoomed in and saw the guy’s spread of wares on the sheet on the ground. A very interesting composition and a well deserved win. Congrats.
    Thanks @Jimbro66, that means a lot coming from a talented photographer such as yourself.

The photo was taken on holiday last year as I was walking through the market square in Palma.  There was lots going on and a guy was entertaining kids by making these massive bubbles and they were floating all over the square.  A few drifted towards me and I managed to fire of a couple of shots through the bubbles - a few of them came out ok, Fujifilm isn't notorious for its fast and accurate autofocus especially when moving!

it was more by luck than by good judgement (like I know what I'm doing? Pah!)

Hope you're feeling better now bud.

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

@Haych I could see that you had shot though something  but couldn’t work what. Shooting through floating bubbles takes some skill so I’m even more impressed by your shot. Nice work!

For quite a while I tried to fight off the virus myself by staying at home and resting because getting a GP appointment is too much like hard work. It didn’t work. I was getting worse so went to a walk-in clinic where they found I had a chest infection and gave be antibiotics, which are slowly working. Hopefully back to normal in a week or so. Then looking forward to having a go at your Feb comp. Great subject.
  • Morning everyone. I've just counted up the votes for the best of 2023 competition, and announced the winner in the thread :)

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• Just a reminder: only a few days left to enter February's competition :)

• HaychHaych Frets: 5691
    I've thrown in my entry.  As photos go it's not a stunner and I'd be surprised if it gets any votes, especially when up against the other entires.  And, @skullfunkerry, your pic is more evidence that we need an aww button.

But, it was a nice moment captured on camera.  Seeing the old couple still have affection for one another moved me to raise the camera and snap a cheeky shot of the moment.  They looked happy.

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Haych said:
    I've thrown in my entry.  As photos go it's not a stunner and I'd be surprised if it gets any votes, especially when up against the other entires.  And, @skullfunkerry, your pic is more evidence that we need an aww button.

But, it was a nice moment captured on camera.  Seeing the old couple still have affection for one another moved me to raise the camera and snap a cheeky shot of the moment.  They looked happy.
    I don't know about anyone else, but I always vote based on how the photo makes me feel, rather than the technical excellence of the shot, so I'd say you're definitely in with a chance :)

• robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3611
    Havent picked up my camera in a long while, took this on my phone the other day, showing my old car some love.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • robgilmo said:
    Havent picked up my camera in a long while, took this on my phone the other day, showing my old car some love.
    It's great. Looks almost like a film photo :)

robgilmo said:
    It's great. Looks almost like a film photo :)
    Thankyou, I have my PC running into my TV so with photo editing it can be hit or miss as the TV isnt confugured to show true representation. Apparently my photo edits come out quite dark? 
  • February's winner has just been announced - bit late this month as I've been on a tour of north Wales (for work, not music unfortunately!), and every single hotel room I've stayed in has had absolutely dismal WiFi and no phone signal.

• skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4205

This should be interesting. Loads of scope here.
    Maybe it's just my mobile but I can't actually see a theme for March in the new comp thread.
  • ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7501
    I've gone for a pretty on-the-nose take on a theme, but prefer this photo which is stretching the theme a lot.

I was tempted with this. If anyone can guess what it's a photo of, I'll be amazed. 

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12434
    edited March 3
    Jimbro66 said:
    Maybe it's just my mobile but I can't actually see a theme for March in the new comp thread.
    It’s in the header. “On reflection” in case you still can’t see it.   ;)
  • skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4205
    I've gone for a pretty on-the-nose take on a theme, but prefer this photo which is stretching the theme a lot.

I was tempted with this. If anyone can guess what it's a photo of, I'll be amazed. 

Stretching the theme is fine. That's a lovely shot; and no, I've got no idea about the other one: my first thought was windows of a tall building from an external lift, or something like that, or possibly a guitar neck...

• ShrewsShrews Frets: 3070
    Streetlights though a spiders web?