Did Clapton peak with Steppin' Out

What's Hot
adampeteradampeter Frets: 775
edited September 2019 in Music
Did he ever play better with better tone?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    Although I agree with you that that is a great piece of early blues rock it’s over 50 years old. He’s done quite a lot since then. And it’s pretty crude. Compare it to Edge Of Darkness, for example. Okay - I get that a LP through a cranked valve gets some people hard, but subtle it ain’t. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    No, with Derek And The Dominos.

I think he's done some good stuff since, too - but nothing that tops that.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1374
    ICBM said:

yep, it's "Why Does Love Got To Be So Sad" for me
  • ICBM said:

Never really listened to much Derek and the Dominoes stuff aside from the obvious ones, will dig a little deeper 
    adampeter said:

Never really listened to much Derek and the Dominoes stuff aside from the obvious ones, will dig a little deeper 
    Just get the Layla album - it's the best thing he's ever done in my opinion.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

adampeter said:
    ICBM said:

that whole post-Blind Faith period of Delaney & Bonnie, D&TDs, All Things Must Pass, and then the early solo EC stuff is my favourite stuff. 
  • You need to Derek and the Dominoes live album. Originally released as “in concert” then expanded as a 2 CD (remember them?) Live at the Fillmore. 
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24803
    edited October 2019
    Behind the Sun features some exceptional playing - as does From The Cradle. His version of Don’t Think Twice It’s Alright at Dylan’s 30th Anniversary show at Madison Square Garden is perhaps the most ‘committed’ his playing (and voice) has ever been. I’d have loved to have been there:

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/ximopq
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    bbill335 said:
    adampeter said:
    ICBM said:

that whole post-Blind Faith period of Delaney & Bonnie, D&TDs, All Things Must Pass, and then the early solo EC stuff is my favourite stuff. 
    461 Ocean Boulevard, Slowhand, Backless, Money & Cigarettes, before "Armani" Eric are my faves. (Don't get me wrong Behind the Sun is a tour de force)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3072
    bbill335 said:
    adampeter said:
    ICBM said:

The breaks on I'd Have You Anytime on ATMP are wonderful tbf. The whole record is "off the scale" good though imo.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    For me Clapton is a tale of two halves, everything before he went solo and everything after. Generally I love all the former and don't love all the latter
    axisus said:
    For me Clapton is a tale of two halves, everything before he went solo and everything after. Generally I love all the former and don't love all the latter
    I like a lot of his solo stuff too, although mostly the unfashionable 'drunk period', unfortunately! But the strange thing is that his first solo album - the one with 'Slunky' and 'Blues Power' on it - was before D&TD, and also had Carl Radle, Jim Gordon and Bobby Whitlock on it, but which I really dislike.

• brooombrooom Frets: 1175
    I'm not a fan of the guitar tones on the Layla album. But if you like Derek and the Dominoes, Live at the fillmore is definitely worth a listen.
    ICBM said:
    axisus said:
    I like a lot of his solo stuff too, although mostly the unfashionable 'drunk period', unfortunately! But the strange thing is that his first solo album - the one with 'Slunky' and 'Blues Power' on it - was before D&TD, and also had Carl Radle, Jim Gordon and Bobby Whitlock on it, but which I really dislike.
    that's a funny one, coz it has a couple of killer tunes on - 'Let it Rain' is up there with 'Badge' for me - but also a preview of the lazy JJ Cale clone stuff that would come in the late 70s. D&TD at the Fillmore really does work to encompass the very best of that period, even if some of the guitar work is sloppy and some of the soloing overlong. 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    You need to Derek and the Dominoes live album. Originally released as “in concert” then expanded as a 2 CD (remember them?) Live at the Fillmore. 
    I blow hot and cold both with Clapton and guitar jams but the sheer groove, dynamics and energy on this takes things to another level.

As for the OP - the Beano album is a hard sell, you have to pretty much ignore Mayall on it and there are much better blues albums ( Clapton took so much from Freddie King you really are better off listening to almost anything from his catalogue and Freddie's voice was sublime unlike Mayall's, possibly odd for a man who made his mark playing instrumentals). 
    But Steppin' Out is an electric guitar standard, walk around the Guitar Show in Birmingham next February and at some point you will hear someone playing/ mangling some version of it. But probably important early work rather than defining statement. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    Forgot to say - as it happens, I'm going to see John Mayall in November. He's 85!

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • It's the early stuff - Have You Heard, Double Crossing Time and Stormy Monday with Mayall, the solos on Badge and While My Guitar Gently Weeps - that represent peak Clapton for me.

After that something went missing - I think the belief that what he was doing as a guitarist was valid and could continue to be developed into something new. He stopped taking risks and oscillated between the bloated (D&TD) and tastefully anodyne.   

“To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    ICBM said:
    Forgot to say - as it happens, I'm going to see John Mayall in November. He's 85!
    I saw him about eight years ago. I thought he was great, better than the records. Buddy Whittington was on guitar and I love his style ( his guitar style, his sartorial style leaves a bit to be desired). No idea who is in the band now. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11295
    If you're going back to the Beano era stuff then the single Telephone Blues is as good as anything on that album.

I loved Clapton's earlier stuff, but after D&TD I couldn't really say I enjoyed any of the solo stuff. He still had the fire on the Carl Perkins tribute thing, and he's regained it on a few occasions since then but give me the Yardbirds, Mayall, Cream and Blind Faith stuff any time.
  • adampeteradampeter Frets: 775
    Had another try with the Layla album, its alright i guess, but a little "tame" for my tastes
    Will keep trying to see if something sticks
    I guess the older stuff, beano, cream, etc just does it for me