Did Clapton peak with Steppin' Out

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24833
    edited October 2019
    adampeter said:
    Ive been back to have a good listen to his 70s and 80s stuff after reading a few comments here, for me it isn't a patch on the work he produced with Cream and the Bluesbreakers.
    Don't get me wrong, his 70s and 80s stuff was alright, but without that 60s stuff would anybody really consider him "GOD"
    I think it was entirely deliberate on his part. He didn’t really want to be ‘just’ a virtuoso guitarist - he was heavily influenced by The Band, Delaney and Bonnie and J J Cale and wanted to be more of a ‘band’ musician than a soloist. Some of the low key stuff he’s done (the masterful Dobro on ‘Give Me Strength’ from 461 Ocean Boulevard is a good example) is outstanding - and for me stands the test of time rather better than him wailing away with Cream.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • He didn’t really want to be ‘just’ a virtuoso guitarist - he was heavily influenced by The Band, Delaney and Bonnie and J J Cale and wanted to be more of a ‘band’ musician than a soloist.
    I remembered his 1977 Whistle Test concert, playing rhythm on one of those acoustic guitars:

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • The Carl Perkins show with Clapton is on at 6pm on Sky Arts tonight. Watch it. Its great. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TrudeTrude Frets: 914
    Just listened to the Layla album all the way through for the first time ever.  I must remember to come back to this every time I think I need a Strat.  Some horrible, plinky, gutless tones on offer here, especially the arpeggios in "It's Too Late".  Why he decided he liked that sound I'll never know.  

So yeah, give me the Beano album any day of the week. 
    Some of the gear, some idea

Trading feedback here
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11317
    The Carl Perkins show with Clapton is on at 6pm on Sky Arts tonight. Watch it. Its great. 
    Someone arsed around with the voilume levels, I could hardly hear a word that was said. The music was great, though.