Setting up your live tones - balance between pickups

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    darius said:
    poopot said:
    One thing that is clear after leaving my wah on and cocked at tonight’s gig is that the punters really don’t give a damn what your guitar sounds like as long as they are dancing their hearts out!....
    Yep. This. Done the same. Constant nagging feeling there's something wrong with the sound. Carry on regardless. Find Wah on after gig. Noone gave a ...
    Was only for one track towards the end of the night, by which time my ears were shot anyway as I’d left my earplugs at home!!!! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10697
    edited October 2019
    You could screw the neck treble side our more, like your namesake does, so it’s closer to the strings. (And put konx tape on)

After all, as we know; volume is tone. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • VaiaiVaiai Frets: 530
    Some great comments here guys - thanks :) 
    I do have really well matched pickups - it's the Andy Wood sig model with Thornbuckers and recently had it set up by my go to guy who did adjust the pickups height. I think the 2 ideas on here that I'm going to try are setting the amp/helix up on the neck pickup and then using EQ/pedals or just guitar vol/tone controls to make sure the bridge is not too bright.
     We'll see how that goes!

• Great thread. I’ve been fighting with this for ages and starting to think that I must be deaf/stupid.  I’m glad it’s not just me.

One solution I found was just to say “fuck it” and get a single pickup guitar.  A great GAS inspired way to brush the problem under the carpet.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • VaiaiVaiai Frets: 530
    edited October 2019
    My TV Jones Tele has a 3 way selector and my Andy Wood has a 5 way plus it has a series parallel option in the middle position too and is definitely versatile! I notice one of the comments saying that it's almost like having an overdrive boost when changing to the bridge pickup and I def get that on the AW. 
    As usual, less gain is always going to help - the difference between pickups is more defined with some crunch rather than full on feedback generating gain (but it's fun!) - very rarely do I use that in a covers band situation...

Rehearsing again tonight and going to try a few things #lessgain