Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Straty Gibson style guitar

What's Hot

Comments

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11449
    Jalapeno said:
    Gibson MIII ?

That was a rock machine, and probably had horrible overwound pickups.  Not sure if the neck had the back angle on it.

Also, they sold so few that it would be hard to find one.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14434
    Not even Harry Seven has one!  :o
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3590
    bbill335 said:
    Check the non-reverse firebird thread. Those are in every way the midpoint between fender and solidbody gibsons
    I came here to post just this.

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22879
    Not even Harry Seven has one!  :o
    Hmmm, I wonder if he does?

There was a guy on the Bare Knuckle Pickups forum who'd owned at least one M-III.  I've always thought it was quite a cool design, but looking at it today I'm not so sure.
  • Matt_McGMatt_McG Frets: 323
    A friend of mine had an M-III, which I played a few times. My recollection of it was that it was a very well setup guitar. Really easy to play. His had the lowest and smoothest action of any superstrat I've ever tried.

The internet tells me they had Dirty Fingers pickups in them, but my recollection of his is that he had Seymour Duncans in it (might have been an aftermarket thing, as he bought it second hand).
  • Matt_McGMatt_McG Frets: 323
    That said, I think it's sort of the opposite of what the OP wants?

Which is a guitar with Gibson ergonomics, but strat sound, whereas that is a guitar with (mostly) Strat ergonomics, but Gibson sound.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72364
    PRS Swamp Ash Special - stoptail if you want a pitched-back neck.

You may need to modify the switching and replace the god-awful middle pickup to make it really Stratty, but if you do it gets closer than any PRS other than the 305. @AuldReekie has one that I did that to.

Custom 22 Soapbar is the next closest I think.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

edited October 2019
    Matt_McG said:
    The internet tells me they had Dirty Fingers pickups in them, but my recollection of his is that he had Seymour Duncans in it (might have been an aftermarket thing, as he bought it second hand).
    I think the original early '90s models had 500T and 496R humbuckers, plus the middle single-coil (NSX?).  The reissues they did 5 or 6 years ago had Dirty Fingers.  The Duncans would certainly have been replacements.
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1771
    What about one of those random Gibson Hendrix signature models??

Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6391
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • tomajohatomajoha Frets: 906
    Gibson Nighthawk? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Flanging_FredFlanging_Fred Frets: 3023
    edited October 2019
    Lewy said:
    In the 1990s Gibson did a les Paul with hsh pickups to try and do the strat tones. I think iGibson called it M3 electronics. Dunno if it’ was any good or not, but thought I’d put it out there.
    Yes it was the Studio Lite M-III
    Yeah, that’s what I was talking about, not the weird superstrat (which I actually quite like!) that has been pictured in this thread so far.

one of these...

• ICBM said:

You may need to modify the switching and replace the god-awful middle pickup to make it really Stratty, but if you do it gets closer than any PRS other than the 305. @AuldReekie has one that I did that to.

I love my PRS SAS, possibly my favourite of my 5 US core PRS.  Very Fendery tones, even the H/B options are like "rich toned" Fender.  Great mod 
  • Thanks for the posts all.. will start doing some digging..
    Lewy said:
    In the 1990s Gibson did a les Paul with hsh pickups to try and do the strat tones. I think iGibson called it M3 electronics. Dunno if it’ was any good or not, but thought I’d put it out there.
    Yes it was the Studio Lite M-III
    Yeah, that’s what I was talking about, not the weird superstrat (which I actually quite like!) that has been pictured in this thread so far.

one of these...

I've seen one of these in blue before, but not this gold colour.  I think that looks great.
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3869
    ESBlonde said:
    bbill335 said:
    Check the non-reverse firebird thread. Those are in every way the midpoint between fender and solidbody gibsons
    I came here to post just this.

Me too
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2925
    tFB Trader
    I'm making a Firebird with Strat pickups, but has a trem so no neck angle. Thinking about an n/r one for next, feel like the pickups would look OK there, though have some nice P90s already that need a home.
    I just suddenly thought of Frank Marino and his SGs with Strat pickups.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15yFEqB6NMw
  • ICBM said:

Thanks John.

Any thoughts on the narrowfield pup version?

Si
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6062
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom