A decent flanger for not much money

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• What flanger for that subtle 80's Cure sound? Any flanger at a low setting, or are some better used subtly?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1994
    i picked up a BF2 for £40. Its one of the few pedals I'll never sell on.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72336
    What flanger for that subtle 80's Cure sound? Any flanger at a low setting, or are some better used subtly?
    Robert Smith has always used a Boss BF-2.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    Noticed the Mooer Jet Engine Flanger currently £49 on Amazon or at Gear4Music. Tap tempo. 
    When I was going through my can’t live without a Flanger phase I thought the YouTube demos of the Eleclady were a bit meh. This seems more interesting, although not watched any demos as I did not want to be disappointed...
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    The JOYO JF-07 is brilliant.  £33.
    Does the jet sound thing, does really subtle flanging, does normal flanging, and it does chorus too.
    Every YouTube video I've seen of it doesn't do it justice with random fiddling and basically it's the Delay Time knob which will shift it from flanger to chorus sounds.  Great flanger pedal.
    I only swapped mine out for an MXR because I'd always wanted a M117 and one came up at the right price.  I'm hanging on to the Joyo cos I've a feeling I'll put that back on and sell the MXR in due course.

• I have the one with a jet plane on the front . Could do it £14 posted . If you’re interested  I will check it out tomorrow ,  I put some labels on it with alternate names for controls like width range sweep - for depth . Plus some sellotape so I could put dots at my fave settings.  I used it even to get a filter sound , aeroplane sound etc
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3621
    Grunfeld said:
    The JOYO JF-07 is brilliant.  £33.
    Does the jet sound thing, does really subtle flanging, does normal flanging, and it does chorus too.
    Every YouTube video I've seen of it doesn't do it justice with random fiddling and basically it's the Delay Time knob which will shift it from flanger to chorus sounds.  Great flanger pedal.
    I only swapped mine out for an MXR because I'd always wanted a M117 and one came up at the right price.  I'm hanging on to the Joyo cos I've a feeling I'll put that back on and sell the MXR in due course.

Thanks.

I think that is the way I'm going to go as they use a battery as well.

Glad to have your recommendation.
    I have the one with a jet plane on the front . Could do it £14 posted . If you’re interested  I will check it out tomorrow ,  I put some labels on it with alternate names for controls like width range sweep - for depth . Plus some sellotape so I could put dots at my fave settings.  I used it even to get a filter sound , aeroplane sound etc
    Thanks for the offer mate but at the price I'll go for a new one. 
    Joyo JF-07 - ordered.  =)

Thanks for your input everyone, a fountain of knowledge here. 
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    Neil said:

PS -- I know this might seem obvious but again, all the YT videos don't do it so maybe not: 
    It's really okay to have the Regen turned off or set very low!
    Taking a lot of the Regen out lets you have the flanger on for quite some time without getting on your nerves with that really obvious repetitive swooping. 
    I keep intending to post a video about this pedal.  This has reminded me!
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6060
    Grunfeld said:
    Neil said:

PS -- I know this might seem obvious but again, all the YT videos don't do it so maybe not: 
    Taking a lot of the Regen out lets you have the flanger on for quite some time without getting on your nerves with that really obvious repetitive swooping. 
    Good point. A decent flanger can cover a lot of ground from chorus to phase. From your description the Joyo sounds very similar to the Maxon FL9. Keeping the Regeneration reined in is definitely the trick to getting a useable sound that's not over-effecty.
  • Another thing that's OK to do is have the rate on slow. You'd never think so, if YouTube vids were all you had to go on.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
    Grunfeld said:
    Neil said:

Actually got it today.

Been mucking around with it and found all those knobs a bit daunting but after a little while found some really good usable sounds.

I'd love to see your video on this pedal.

Let us know when you get round to it.