Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Painted yourself into a corner?

What's Hot

Comments

• Cheers, sounds good @WiresDreamDisasters ;
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • joetelejoetele Frets: 951
    Pretty rare for a band to sound better live than recorded. 
    Sorry but I feel like this is a complete oversimplification. Tons of bands I've seen sound better live than recorded. Yes you've got the benefit of atmosphere etc at a gig which helps, but some bands are a lot heavier or more fast-paced live, or they add extra elements, and it leaves the original recordings sounding flat. Or there are bands whose albums do sound brilliant but their live show is even better. I think studio and live are two different things which are unfair to compare anyway. No ill will intended, but I just can't agree. 
    MUSIC: Pale Blurs
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    joetele said:
    Sorry but I feel like this is a complete oversimplification. Tons of bands I've seen sound better live than recorded. Yes you've got the benefit of atmosphere etc at a gig which helps, but some bands are a lot heavier or more fast-paced live, or they add extra elements, and it leaves the original recordings sounding flat. Or there are bands whose albums do sound brilliant but their live show is even better. I think studio and live are two different things which are unfair to compare anyway. No ill will intended, but I just can't agree. 
    I agree. Temples are a good example, as they always sound much better live I think. Less produced (obviously), more dynamic and 'muscular'.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2901
    I’ve seen many bands at festivals that sounded great, then listening to the studio versions they sound really limp with no balls or grit. Really disappointing. Maybe a case of over-production and too much cleaning up of everything in the mix.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    edited October 2019
    joetele said:
    Sorry but I feel like this is a complete oversimplification....

Yeah, probably, tbf.
    The last gig I was at was quite a big, out door event. It was good but between the crowd making a racket and not being that close (my gf was pregnant so we hung back) the sound wasn't amazing. If I just purely wanted to listen I'd prefer some decent HPs at home. 
    joetele said:
    Sorry but I feel like this is a complete oversimplification....

Yeah, probably, tbf.
    The last gig I was at was quite a big, out door event. It was good but between the crowd making a racket and not being that close (my gf was pregnant so we hung back) the sound wasn't amazing. If I just purely wanted to listen I'd prefer some decent HPs at home. 
    I definitely prefer small gigs over festivals. Sound gets lost too easy and too many other distractions at festivals 
    It wasn't actually a festival. It was biffy Clyro. But yeah.
    It wasn't actually a festival. It was biffy Clyro. But yeah.
    I sort of meant outdoor I guess - much prefer indoors. Surprised about Biffy though, they're usually much better live. Although I haven't really been into them since after their third album Infinity Land 
    I'm sure the amps and instruments all sounded great in isolation but by the time it got to my brain box a lot of the detail in the sound had been lost. 
    Often it's the singer that is trying to interact with the crowd and what not...which is fun at the time but not really something you'd want to listen to at home.
  • Nope, I can do the whole set with a bone dry jcm800 type tone. 

It would be a bit boring though. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • joetele said:
    Gogol Bordello are a very good example of this. Amazing live, but the album I heard does not capture the energy they have playing live.
  • joetele said:
    Gogol Bordello are a very good example of this. Amazing live, but the album I heard does not capture the energy they have playing live.
    I see live vs recordings as totally different things. 
    I much prefer to listen to recorded music as I love the subtle nuances and layers that you can’t get live, I have to wear ear plugs now so all live gigs have less impact now compared to my youth, so I definitely feel I don’t get drawn into the vibe as much as I used to. 

But overall I’d totally agree that the vast majority of bands sound better recorded than live.
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6717
    edited October 2019
    SRV on record is an overproduced 80s mess. Live he was staggering. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Guess it depends on "better". 

Sorry for breaking your thread drew.
    "painted into a corner"?, me?...no.
  • FezFez Frets: 526
    Only on two original songs where I use a viscous vibe but I can manage without it in a pinch.
    Don't touch that dial.
  • soma1975 said:
    Which SRV records are these that I’ve never heard?!?!

All the ones I’ve heard sound fantastic. 

• soma1975 said:
    Possibly the gargantuan amounts of narcotics causing balance issues. 
    soma1975 said:

Really? Wow. 

No wonder you like modellers. 

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • soma1975 said:
    soma1975 said:

Really? Wow. 

No wonder you like modellers. 
    Lol, but really. 
    If you think they sound bad there’s something wrong with your ears. 
    If you think there is an SRV album that sounds as good as Live at the El Mocambo then you a crazy man.