Scales ; circle of Fifths ; Chords type posters for studio walls - any recommendations

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• vizviz Frets: 10697
    PM’d you ‘n’ all. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Genuine question, if not reading notation, what do you use this for?
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
  • And me please!

• vizviz Frets: 10697
    edited November 2019
    Genuine question, if not reading notation, what do you use this for?
    Basically when you list notes in alphabetical order (A, B, C etc) you are listing them completely shuffled in terms of their musical neighbourliness. It’s like listing the rainbow colours alphabetically - blue, green, indigo, orange, red, violet, yellow. It doesn’t make much sense in physics. B major is almost as far from C major as it’s possible to get. Name a song in C that has a B major chord. 

By listing the keys in order of musical relationship, you know which are the “closest’ keys, and therefore chords. F, C and G share almost the same notes - that’s why they’re next to each other. F is like C except it has 1 flat; G is like C except it has 1 sharp. They sit to the left and right of C. With the F, C and G chords we have the IV, the I and the V of C major. And I, IV, V are the 3 base chords for major songs. Almost every major song will have a IV or a V, or both. 

The C of 5 shows you those relationships for all keys, as well as many other relationships. You don’t have to know it but it gives you a massive understanding of what music is doing and how it’s doing it. 

Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom