Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Strymon about to release a new product?

What's Hot
15678911»

Comments

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2903
    edited October 2019
    Just seen the Anderton’s demo. It sounds ok on the heavier stuff but it’s nothing spectacular like I was hoping for! It’s all a bit mushy sounding. The Marshall doesn’t sound all that Marshally to me which is a disappointment, but will reserve judgement til I get to try one out! As it stands it doesn’t seem to offer anything that an Amplifire Box + headphone amp cant do.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2326
    TTBZ said:
    Just seen the Anderton’s demo. It sounds ok on the heavier stuff but it’s nothing spectacular like I was hoping for! It’s all a bit mushy sounding. The Marshall doesn’t sound all that Marshally to me which is a disappointment, but will reserve judgement til I get to try one out! As it stands it doesn’t seem to offer anything that an Amplifire Box + headphone amp cant do.
    Agreed. Just think it sounds bland. 
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    JohnCordy said:
    @Fretwired I think it's only the pricing that makes it niche - plenty of people could use a great sounding direct amp in a box even as a backup this is the perfect size
    I spent the weekend playing with it. The amp and cab tones are top notch so long as you like clean to crunch - the hi-gain Marshall isn't that good IMHO. For me the Iridium works - I play jazz through a Godin jazz guitar. I could take just the guitar and the pedal and plug it through a PA - great. The reason I bought it is I have a gig or two playing some ambient guitar to film - the Fender tones are ideal and the fact the unit is stereo means I can add a Timeline and BigSky etc after the pedal and out to the PA. Tweaking the tone is simple - just like an amp.

However, if you are in a covers band or a rock band you'll opt for the HX Stomp. I would defy anyone to tell the difference in the tone - the HX also has hi-gain amps and a shed load of effects and a stereo fx.

If Strymon upgraded the unit to a Timeline style form factor, added a stereo fx loop and a hi-gain amp they may be on to a winner. As it is I think the Iridium will sell in small numbers compared to the Line 6 HX Stomp. The existing pedal is expensive for what it is.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • kjdowdkjdowd Frets: 852
    For the use case I was after - recording and headphone practice with an existing pedalboard - it's excellent. Sounds great, very straightforward and does exactly what I wanted it to.  I didn't spend ages auditioning modelled amps and IRs, just got a great sound in about 5 seconds and played for a couple of hours. I've got access to pretty much all the other major amp/cab sim/silent recording and practice solution and this stacks up very well. Particularly if you want to use an existing pedalboard and your go to amp setting is clean to edge of breakup. It's simple and sounds great. 

As to price - you can spend more on an overdrive pedal. Yes there are more functional solutions for an equivalent price, and equivalent solutions for a lesser price. But ultimately your ears like it or they don't. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    kjdowd said:
    For the use case I was after - recording and headphone practice with an existing pedalboard - it's excellent. Sounds great, very straightforward and does exactly what I wanted it to.  I didn't spend ages auditioning modelled amps and IRs, just got a great sound in about 5 seconds and played for a couple of hours. I've got access to pretty much all the other major amp/cab sim/silent recording and practice solution and this stacks up very well. Particularly if you want to use an existing pedalboard and your go to amp setting is clean to edge of breakup. It's simple and sounds great. 

As to price - you can spend more on an overdrive pedal. Yes there are more functional solutions for an equivalent price, and equivalent solutions for a lesser price. But ultimately your ears like it or they don't. 
    I agree with your points - the pedal has the tone I want for my pedalboard so my HX Stomp will be sold. The price point is relative to what else you can buy for the money (value for money). For about £40 more you can have a Line 6 HX Stomp and I think many people will gravitate to that for all the amps, cabs and effects that are offered in a small pedalboard friendly package.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • kjdowdkjdowd Frets: 852
    edited October 2019
    Fretwired said:
    kjdowd said:

I agree with your points - the pedal has the tone I want for my pedalboard so my HX Stomp will be sold. The price point is relative to what else you can buy for the money (value for money). For about £40 more you can have a Line 6 HX Stomp and I think many people will gravitate to that for all the amps, cabs and effects that are offered in a small pedalboard friendly package.
    Agreed. Depends on the use case. Never really
    got on with my HX stomp. The Line 6 modelling doesn't quite do it for me (although this is totally subjective) and the stomp doesn't quite balance this out with the incredible usability/flexibility of the full size Helix. I can totally see that it's brilliant for some though.