Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Strymon about to release a new product?

What's Hot

Comments

• hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    edited October 2019
    Not far off the Revival drive compact isn’t it? Except it has cab sim. Glad I bought the revival drive though. Well done Strymon again :)
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Not far off the Revival drive compact isn’t it? Except it has cab sim. Glad I bought the revival drive though. Well done Strymon again :)
    Except the Strymon's digital. I'm sure it's ace though.
  • Very, very tempted tbh, I’ve been waiting for something like this to pop up, wonder if it will be similarly priced to the El Cap Blue Sky etc? and would I need to get a decent set of headphones for silent practice?
  • susbemolsusbemol Frets: 403
    £399 (and in stock) at Andertons.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    susbemol said:
    Flippin’ hec 
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4173
  • Very, very tempted tbh, I’ve been waiting for something like this to pop up, wonder if it will be similarly priced to the El Cap Blue Sky etc? and would I need to get a decent set of headphones for silent practice?
    Or maybe not lol
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2903
    edited October 2019
    So basically it's like having 30% of the functionality in an HX Stomp at 75% of the cost.

No thanks. 
    Just a minor point, but what about people who have tried Line6 stuff and don’t personally like how it sounds?
    Yep. I had a HX Stomp and it was good but not great for Marshall tones which is what I mostly use. I also don’t really use effects. I found I ended up spending more time tweaking and comparing presets than playing. So something like this massively appeals to me. I’d rather have 3 great basic amp models matched to IRs than however many mediocre to poor (imo) amps the Helix has. 

The Plexi in the Iridium instantly sounds more accurate and better as well. Definitely interested in trying one out. If the Plexi takes a boost well and the Fender will take higher gain AIAB style pedals then I’m covered.
  • TTBZ said:
    So basically it's like having 30% of the functionality in an HX Stomp at 75% of the cost.

No thanks. 
    Just a minor point, but what about people who have tried Line6 stuff and don’t personally like how it sounds?
    Yep. I had a HX Stomp and it was good but not great for Marshall tones which is what I mostly use. I also don’t really use effects. I found I ended up spending more time tweaking and comparing presets than playing. So something like this massively appeals to me. I’d rather have 3 great basic amp models matched to IRs than however many mediocre to poor (imo) amps the Helix has. 

The Plexi in the Iridium instantly sounds more accurate and better as well. Definitely interested in trying one out. If the Plexi takes a boost well and the Fender will take higher gain AIAB style pedals then I’m covered.
    I imagine, as with their drive pedals, you could use their Miniswitch as a boost.
  • susbemol said:
    Ooft, I take back what I said before.

Its 30% of the functionality of a Stomp at 100% of the price. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • On a more serious note, at £400 the fact it doesnt seem to have an FX loop seems like a serious issue to me. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Pretty beige choice of tones/amps to pick though. 

Ohh yes sorry I forgot it’s a P&W thing. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3884
    So what are round, chime and punch? Blackface, Vox and Marshall?
  • stickersticker Frets: 869
    Pretty beige choice of tones/amps to pick though. 

Probably more a Profit & Loss thing ...
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2903
    edited October 2019
    Lebarque said:
    So what are round, chime and punch? Blackface, Vox and Marshall?
    Yep. For me I would have preferred Fender, Marshall and something high gain but they all sound pretty good on the demos anyway. I wonder if they’ll ever expand the platform to allow user downloadable/mix and match amp options.

I’m just curious to try one of these and see if its worth going for over an Amplifirebox + headphone amp. Possibly not!
  • I bet they’d just release a second product if they were going to do a different type of amp (eg high gain).

It seems even though it’s limited compared to something like a Helix, that it covers the core tones a lot of the user base will need. So if it sounds good I can see it being a viable option for some
  • This is going to sell plenty, even at that price, which just goes to show you the brand power Strymon have built for themselves. There are people already fawning over a mediocre demo and extolling the virtues of getting less for your money because ______. 

More power to them as well!

Unless it sounds/feels like the greatest modeller ever invented then the only real reason I could see to have one on a board is if that board was mostly made up of other Strymon pedals and my telephoto iPhone 11 Pro Max Instagram shots on my Instagram.com/Hisplanforme P&W page would look so much better with another Strymon logo in place of a Line 6 one
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11883
    I bet they’d just release a second product if they were going to do a different type of amp (eg high gain).

It seems even though it’s limited compared to something like a Helix, that it covers the core tones a lot of the user base will need. So if it sounds good I can see it being a viable option for some

The way I see it is that as it goes at the end of the chain, if you want more gain, you change the pedal in front of it.    This covers the core tones, and everything else you are free do tweak via your pedalboard.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Pretty beige choice of tones/amps to pick though. 

I don't see it that way - the Marshall has been modified so it goes into hi-gain territory. I'm pleased Strymon have decided to do something different from Line 6. If you want hi-gain chose a Line 6 Stomp. Strymon have gone for three generic tones - clean, crunch and gain. Nothing radical.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11883
    Surely the beige choice of amps is the entire point, so you can add your own overdrive or fuzz pedals in front of it to your liking.  It SHOULD be beige.  You want the absolute classic core sounds as the foundation.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom