SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

Helix or HX Stomp for home use?

What's Hot
ROOGROOG Frets: 557
edited October 2019 in FX £
Dear all, I am going to visit my local PMT this weekend to play with  Helix, with a view to home use only. Initially, I discounted the "lesser units" as options but have since been told that even the HX stomp does more or less the same thing sound wise as the full Helix.
So my question is what am I missing out on if I go for the HX stomp version? 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• The amp/cab/effects models sound identical between different Helix units. They are literally the same code running on the same processors.

The differences are in form factor / switching options / number of inputs / number of outputs / how many effects you can run at once / how many parallel paths you can run at once.

This post should help:

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/142161/the-helix-buying-guide

• ROOGROOG Frets: 557
    Thanks @ UnclePsychosis , having searched for Helix in the forum I was a bit overwhelmed by the number of entries.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • preston61preston61 Frets: 690
    ROOG said:
    Thanks @ UnclePsychosis , having searched for Helix in the forum I was a bit overwhelmed by the number of entries.
    There has to be a minimum of 4 Helix related threads on the opening page of the FX section at any one time or the whole website goes down, it's just the way it is
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

The amp/cab/effects models sound identical between different Helix units. They are literally the same code running on the same processors.

The differences are in form factor / switching options / number of inputs / number of outputs / how many effects you can run at once / how many parallel paths you can run at once.

This post should help:

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/142161/the-helix-buying-guide

Well I read the link above and it is very informative thank you, but I still don't know if i need a Helix or not.  The HX Stomp may be enough, I just don't know. I mean I don't really know what I want at all!

Having just realised what the rack unit looks like I am wondering if that would do what I want, (no processing limitations as compared to HX Stomp) just wondering how easy it is to use without the floor unit? 

• RolandRoland Frets: 8743
    Is your question about “Which one is easier to use when playing?” or “Which one is easier to tidy away and get out again?”
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    Roland said:
    Is your question about “Which one is easier to use when playing?” or “Which one is easier to tidy away and get out again?”
    Hi @Roland I am used to a Yamaha TH5, I plonk it on the desk next to me and fiddle with the knobs then play for a bit, then twiddle with the knobs, repeat, etc, etc. so I'm not really into pedals or pedalboards. In fact the only pedals I have sometimes sit on the desk by the side of the little amp. 

If I were to go with a Helix, I recon it would end up on the desk anyway, there is no way i would want to 'edit' all those functions by bending down to the floor and it would take up a fair bit of space on my desk. So I thought maybe a bare 'rack' unit could sit on my desk so that I could fiddle with the controls in comfort? 

• RolandRoland Frets: 8743
    That’s what I’d do. You might even be able to use it as a screen stand.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    edited October 2019
    Roland said:
    Ah ha! so my question is is it easy to switch patches on the rack unit without the fancy 'floor mounted touch switches' , if that is possible at all?

I can see me getting odd looks from the staff in PMT if i ask this question.

• I use a Digitech gsp1101 rack sized modeller thing, and although it doesn't get anywhere near the Helix on sound, the physical form is fairly similar. You can skip between presets but it's a pain in the arse because you have to lean forward to press the buttons or twist the knobs, more than likely whacking your headstock into the desk in the process
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1994
    ROOG said:
    Roland said:
    Ah ha! so my question is is it easy to switch patches on the rack unit without the fancy 'floor mounted touch switches' , if that is possible at all?

it is possible to switch between patches / presets / snap shots on the unit or with the computer editor. it is much easier to do this with a midi foot controller. and much much much easier to do with the dedicated controller.

I used a behringer fcb1010 with rack for quite a while. But the controller opens up a lot more functionality and flexibility of the unit.

"more than likely whacking your headstock into the desk in the process" This is a real risk for me, especially when leaning down to muck about with floor-mounted thing-a-ma-jigs! 

edited October 2019
    sgosden said:
    ROOG said:
    Roland said:

it is possible to switch between patches / presets / snap shots on the unit or with the computer editor. it is much easier to do this with a midi foot controller. and much much much easier to do with the dedicated controller.

I used a behringer fcb1010 with rack for quite a while. But the controller opens up a lot more functionality and flexibility of the unit.

Just watching some youtube vids on this and the capacitive foor swicthes and 'scribbble strips' on the full Helix  do appear to be a  significant part of the Helix ergonomic package.   Oh well, I'll see what a demo does for the situation.

• ellangusellangus Frets: 250
    What about the hx effects unit (not the hx stomp?)

Along with many others, I got Scammed by J Collingridge 'Award Winning' Photographer. Full details about his behaviour on this and other forums can be found on this thread. If you have been Scammed by J Collingridge 'Award Winning' Photographer, let us know and even if you haven't, putting a similar message in your own signature will help us warn others.
    Cheers ellangus, I would like the amp modelling bit included.