10 000 hour rule?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• octatonic said:
    Having already had one instrument under my belt (guitar) it took me about 2 years of playing 2-6 hours a day, 5-6 days a week to get to what I would call a decent semi-pro level of being a drummer with a good degree of technique and a large musical vocabulary on the instrument (without necessarily being that flash).
    I'd say drums is a harder instrument than guitar.

But that was with a very focussed approach and a very good tutor.
    I had a lot more than 10k hours under my belt as a musician/guitarist though.

OP- what do you want to do on the instrument?
    Play authentic blues rock? 2-3 years of work
    Hard rock/metal? Possibly the same time but usually a lot more repetitive exercises, perhaps a year or two more.
    Jazz? 10 years to get decent, but a lifetime to master it.

10k hours is all well and good but actually it is how you practice, not how long you practice for over what period of time.
    I know loads of people who have 30 years of playing under their belts but never got out of the most basic pentatonic style playing and not a very good level.
    They were unfocussed about what they wanted to achieve, didn't have a series of goals or any real plan.
    That is what happens when you do this (or don't do this).

I know people that had a clear idea of what they wanted to achieve and set about achieving that- I'd put myself in that category too. 
    My opinion is everyone can get good on the guitar with the right approach and attitude.
    The problem is some people simply refuse to adopt the right approach and attitude to do it, or don't know what it takes.
    It isn't a lack of ability, sometimes it is a lack of application, sometimes it is laziness, sometimes it is ignorance, sometimes it just isn't important enough to them. 

All true. I know because I have done this ^^^
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • greejngreejn Frets: 127
    Did anyone mention playing with other people? That way saves an awful lot of time....I've been playing 50 years and quite like the fact there is more to learn!
  • Jimi Hendrix didn't start until he was 15 and he died at 27, they don't come much better than him!
  • King85 said:
    Two great books if anyone wants to read a little more into this are:

Bounce - Matthew Syed

The Sports Gene - David Epstein

They both take slightly apposing views on the subject but are both some of the most interesting books I've read.
    Great books . Also 

the talent code -Daniel coyle 
    peak - anders Ericsson and Robert Poole 
    outliers -gladwell
    talent is overrated -Geoff Colvin 
    the inner game of music - Barry green 
    the music lesson victor wooten
    effortless mastery -kenny Werner 
    the practice of practice - Johnathan Harnum 
    the little book of talent Daniel coyle

plus a guy on here who is called “Octatonic “ I think , he has like a Swiss flag avatar. He seems very wise , and I have often been inspired by things he posts on practice etc.

one for instance

“ it isn’t how much you practice ,it’s WHAT you practice when you do.
    2 hours a day is all you need to get to a professional level of playing within 4 years (roughly)
    The reason some people never get there is they are simply practicing the wrong way .

he seems to post some real pearls of wisdom which always seem quite motivating . I hope he reads this and shares some thing else with us.

i did see some of his practice schedule which involved , scales , arpeggios, drop chords (he must be a jazz player) etc  I am sure his schedule could be adapted to whatever goals a particular person has for themselves. Although what suits some does not suit others , a proven routine could help greatly compared to blindly stumbling along if you are stuck.

i find the above books inspiring as it shows what can be done with repeated practice ,the 10 000 hours is for people who are virtuoso type players so imagine what could be achieved in a fifth or quarter of the time with focused practice. 

There is hope for everybody 
    Great post mate 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1527
    You can play the same songs for the rest of your life and not progress if you want. Plenty  still doing the circuit and taking the money. 
    Depends what you want. I have been playing on and off for 38 years. 
     I am self taught. This is a  a slow process made more doable by the internet.
    This is probably my biggest mistake though i honestly didn't have much choice. Lessons were not affordable if ever available.
    I consider myself lucky. I have no wish to tell any story using my guitar ,i have no urge to perform, i play 100% for me. 
    Some people will say they don't see the point of playing if they are not in a band. Iv'e been in bands and iv'e gigged its not for me and probably never was  i am a bit of a introvert but the Guitar! I will never be without one. As for how much time ive spent, doesn't make any difference i just want to spend more and more its not curable.
    You are never too old to enjoy yourself and that for me is the whole point.. 
  • King85 said:
    Two great books if anyone wants to read a little more into this are:

Bounce - Matthew Syed

The Sports Gene - David Epstein

They both take slightly apposing views on the subject but are both some of the most interesting books I've read.
    Great books . Also 

the talent code -Daniel coyle 
    peak - anders Ericsson and Robert Poole 
    outliers -gladwell
    talent is overrated -Geoff Colvin 
    the inner game of music - Barry green 
    the music lesson victor wooten
    effortless mastery -kenny Werner 
    the practice of practice - Johnathan Harnum 
    the little book of talent Daniel coyle

plus a guy on here who is called “Octatonic “ I think , he has like a Swiss flag avatar. He seems very wise , and I have often been inspired by things he posts on practice etc.

one for instance

“ it isn’t how much you practice ,it’s WHAT you practice when you do.
    2 hours a day is all you need to get to a professional level of playing within 4 years (roughly)
    The reason some people never get there is they are simply practicing the wrong way .

he seems to post some real pearls of wisdom which always seem quite motivating . I hope he reads this and shares some thing else with us.

i did see some of his practice schedule which involved , scales , arpeggios, drop chords (he must be a jazz player) etc  I am sure his schedule could be adapted to whatever goals a particular person has for themselves. Although what suits some does not suit others , a proven routine could help greatly compared to blindly stumbling along if you are stuck.

i find the above books inspiring as it shows what can be done with repeated practice ,the 10 000 hours is for people who are virtuoso type players so imagine what could be achieved in a fifth or quarter of the time with focused practice. 

There is hope for everybody 
    Great post mate 
    Thank you very much.  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom