(Discussion Thread) - Fretboard Challenge #2 - Entries

What's Hot

Comments

• thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9717
    We could assume that every entrant votes for themselves, so a bit like whether people sell single raffle tickets or a strip, in a one prize draw it makes no difference :)
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Fretwired said:
    Personally I'd never vote for myself but I have no problem with those who do. For me it's the pleasure in taking part and being part of something interesting. A simple task - make a music using a drone - has thrown up a diverse range of songs. I'm finding picking a favourite hard so maybe we should opt for a Eurovision style voting system. I'm going to have another listen at lunchtime and make a decision.

I was also wondering if there's a way we could give/get feedback.
    I'm finding it pretty hard as well to be honest, but at the moment I don't want to complicate the voting system too much.

Yeah you can give and get feedback by posting on peoples tracks on SoundCloud, that was one of the suggestions for getting a soundcloud account.
    Old Is Gold
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2084
    I really cant see the point of voting for your self, just my opinion. 

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • spark240 said:
    I really cant see the point of voting for your self, just my opinion. 

I agree but it is a free world and I think people should have the choice.
    Old Is Gold
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306

If everyone votes for themselves it's null and void, but if some do and some don't then it might well effect it (depending of course on how close it is in the end!).

Hopefully they'll be a lot of votes from those that haven't submitted a track and this doesn't make a difference, but it could.

• steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1265
    I'd agree that I don't see why you should bar people from voting for themselves but it's just something I'd never do.

And as far as coming up with a winner, it's difficult. I may just have managed to come up with a top three on the podium but can't decide on a winner yet. Just getting it down to three was tricky.

A Eurovision style vote would have made it even trickier for me, choosing one is hard enough.
  • If everyone votes for themselves it's null and void, but if some do and some don't then it might well effect it (depending of course on how close it is in the end!).

Hopefully they'll be a lot of votes from those that haven't submitted a track and this doesn't make a difference, but it could.

I say let us leave it a few days and see how the voting is going, we do have about 9 days left after all. If there are not many votes being cast then we might think about reversing that option, however I do still think people should have that choice.
    Old Is Gold
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Fair enough. I'll resist the temptation to vote for myself (feels weird doing that), and try and decide who to vote for!
  • Fair enough. I'll resist the temptation to vote for myself (feels weird doing that), and try and decide who to vote for!
    You could just protest vote and go for the UKIP entry
    :P
    Old Is Gold
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    edited May 2014
    I'm wating for someone with the name none_of_the_above to submit a late entry .. :-)

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    edited May 2014
    To echo other peoples comments the standard is incredibly high and I'm going to listen to them all a few times before casting my vote.

If someone wants to vote for their own track they should be able to but personally I don't think like that.

@daveww thanks for the comments on the vocals I appreciate that.

I'm also up for posting the gear used, are we posting it here or after the competition?
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9717
    Antique_Guitars;246773" said:

Yeah you can give and get feedback by posting on peoples tracks on SoundCloud, that was one of the suggestions for getting a soundcloud account.
    I for one would be very grateful for any feedback on Soundcloud, be it insightful or inciteful, as long as it's in sight (in the site).

Though please, perhaps not on the vocals, i know they are bad, my throat is in a bad way and they are deliberately blurred with distortion and fx for that reason!

Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7287
    I would prefer either not allowed to vote for yourself, or even participants cant vote at all over being allowed to vote for your own entry.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • PolarityMan;247012" said:
    I would prefer either not allowed to vote for yourself, or even participants cant vote at all over being allowed to vote for your own entry.
    If the entrants were not allowed to vote then we could potentially be left with not many voters. I have passed on this discussion to the mods and will see what their opinion is.
    Old Is Gold
  • BasherBasher Frets: 1206
    Hmmm. [Adopts upright posture, one arm on the mantlepiece, pipe clenched firmly between teeth.] 

I do feel that voting for yourself isn't quite playing the game.

However...... I suppose that such unsportsmanlike behaviour has been provoked by the excellent prize on offer. If all's fair in love and war, then behaving like a downright rum cove is probably to be expected in the far more serious business of GAS.

I suppose I'm now having second thoughts about the competition. I entered because I really liked the idea of the challenge, I've pushed myself out of my comfort zone and and I learned a heck of a lot more about using Reaper (crossfades, envelopes, pitch shift and time-stretch). Above all, I really enjoyed pretending to be an underground, experimental musician in 1968 Berlin.

I guess my entry would only be of interest to the mentally disturbed or sonic masochists but I'm proud of it. As such, I'm confident that I will fail to trouble the scorer but my "Norvege - Nul Points" performance will be a badge of deep personal honour.

Just another appeal to everybody to remember that it's not the winning, but the production of a barely-listenable, post-modern, atonal, sonic-drone collage that counts. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1265
    @Basher ; I really liked yours, actually. What does that say about my listening choices, eh?

You may be surprised and actually get more points than you think - especially as there are no bearded drag artistes in this vote.
    ;)
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Basher said:
    Hmmm. [Adopts upright posture, one arm on the mantlepiece, pipe clenched firmly between teeth.] 

I do feel that voting for yourself isn't quite playing the game.

However...... I suppose that such unsportsmanlike behaviour has been provoked by the excellent prize on offer. If all's fair in love and war, then behaving like a downright rum cove is probably to be expected in the far more serious business of GAS.

I suppose I'm now having second thoughts about the competition. I entered because I really liked the idea of the challenge, I've pushed myself out of my comfort zone and and I learned a heck of a lot more about using Reaper (crossfades, envelopes, pitch shift and time-stretch). Above all, I really enjoyed pretending to be an underground, experimental musician in 1968 Berlin.

I guess my entry would only be of interest to the mentally disturbed or sonic masochists but I'm proud of it. As such, I'm confident that I will fail to trouble the scorer but my "Norvege - Nul Points" performance will be a badge of deep personal honour.

Just another appeal to everybody to remember that it's not the winning, but the production of a barely-listenable, post-modern, atonal, sonic-drone collage that counts. 
    @Basher ... I totally agree with your comments. I've entered for fun rather than the prize [I doubt I'd win].

I really like your track. It's the sort of thing I listen to - I'd love to know how you made it.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2026
    Have to agree with the anti-voting-for-yourself collective.

Seems a bit against the spirit of the thing... 

Although,that will undoubtedly leave me with no votes...

Hang on a minute!
  • davewwdaveww Frets: 165
    edited May 2014
    Agree that it's not really cricket to vote for yourself.

Echoing someone's earlier comments I hope that we get plenty of votes from non-entering forum members (all for me of course ;) However, I fear that many won't take time out of their busy schedules to listen to over an hours worth of our efforts.  Today I listened to the tracks on soundcloud through Bluetooth whilst driving to and from work and thought it was a good idea to suggest other people do that as well.  I fear they won't take the necessary time unless they do similar.
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2084

daveww said:
    Agree that it's not really cricket to vote for yourself.

Echoing someone's earlier comments I hope that we get plenty of votes from non-entering forum members (all for me of course ;) However, I fear that many won't take time out of their busy schedules to listen to over an hours worth of our efforts.  Today I listened to the tracks on soundcloud through Bluetooth whilst driving to and from work and thought it was a good idea to suggest other people do that as well.  I fear they won't take the necessary time unless they do similar.
    For this reason, I reckon all challenges should have a time limit, say 2 minutes or so ..I mean....what if ( in a good way) there were 100 entries ! this has picked up considerably in just 2 challenges, it could easily get to 30-40 entrants plus.

Juts listening and picking a winner becomes a challenge in itself

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview