(Discussion Thread) - Fretboard Challenge #2 - Entries

What's Hot

Comments

• LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    I'd like this place to cater more for music sharing. Maybe a separate forum (like in MR) for this rather than just a thread. 

@daveww I'd be interested to know what gear you used as those are some really cool "classic rock" tones. The lead has something of an early Santana vibe for me. Certainly got something very cool about it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27526
    This really should be what the heart of the forum is all about, and it's great to be involved. 
    I agree - I'd really like for the site to support and enable music-making and sharing in any way that you guys would like it to.
    Chuffola said:
    Yes, this is one thing thing that really is all about the taking part. 

Most of the entries are superb and a compilation CD is a great idea @TTony ;

Impressed with both the number - and the quality - of entries this time around.  I failed once more to take part (despite intending to!).  But there's always next time.

Will look more into the practicalities of a compilation CD ... it shouldn't be expensive, but it could help raise some funds to pay for whatever's needed to help develop this aspect of the site.

I'd like this place to cater more for music sharing. Maybe a separate forum (like in MR) for this rather than just a thread. 

Well, we've got the "making music" section of the forum - but tell me what else you think would be useful.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    TTony said:

Well, we've got the "making music" section of the forum - but tell me what else you think would be useful.
    It's just that there is the "making music" section but there is also the "post your stuff" thread in the "music" section. Not sure exactly what I want though...I'll have a think.
    I think it would be good if people were more active with sharing their tunes and also listening to and offering advise on other peoples tunes, so anything that makes that easier and more tempting would be good.
    I suppose though that this is what the competition is doing at the moment, so forget I said anything. 
    :-S
  • davewwdaveww Frets: 165
    edited May 2014

@daveww I'd be interested to know what gear you used as those are some really cool "classic rock" tones. The lead has something of an early Santana vibe for me. Certainly got something very cool about it. 
    Thanks for the comment.  Not much to say on gear really.  It was recorded straight into garageband and ipad with an apogee mic' in front of my Yamaha THR10C.  The amp was set to mid gain on the mini amp (a low-wattage boutique tone with a lot of overdrive) sim and the guitar used was my home built partscaster and tone rider hot classic bridge pup for the solo.  I put some extra delay and reverb on the smart drums which I later took off.  I think that may have thrown the timing out slightly.
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306

Bump for those of you viewing via "recent discussions" who don't get down to the dusty end of the forum!

• I have little to say other than they're all really good. Some great talent on this forum.

So, when's number 3 and what's the challenge?! :D
  • I have little to say other than they're all really good. Some great talent on this forum.

So, when's number 3 and what's the challenge?! :D
    As always the new challenge will start on the first of the month, which this time is this Sunday.

Not 100% about the exact nature of the challenge yet..........
    Old Is Gold
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7287
    What about a team challenge?
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • historyisjunkhistoryisjunk Frets: 500
    As a bad player & non-recorder, but fan of this type of stuff I'm greatly impressed by everyone's work here.
    Last Mantra edged it for me, but I thought @Cacofonix & @Basher nailed the genre & @Kerpunk wins on the wistful atmosphere of his song.
    I'm actually sorry this is a competition in a way...

Very much agree that I'd like to read what gear people used, if they have time, especially regarding recording devices & if anyone recorded live sound via a mic.
  • BasherBasher Frets: 1206
    Thanks for the kind words @historyisjunk.
    My attempt was indeed more about the drone genre (particularly the more experimental side of it) rather than trying to produce something a bit more drone-lite that would appeal to guitar players. 
    I'm not sure that a gear list makes any sense for my piece. There were guitars and soft-synths involved but absolutely everything was pitch shifted, time stretched, distorted or filtered in some way. The main drone parts were either a sitar sample or a fuzz-tone guitar note but I'm constantly cross-fading between different pitch-shifted versions of the original to create a sense of movement and atonality. 
    I learned a lot by recording this piece as it freed me up to go mad and experiment. For instance, if you chop the attack off a fuzzed up guitar note you can come up with loads of interesting organ-like tonalities that sound like something off an early Stereolab record. I'm sure that many of the ideas/discoveries will find their way into my more conventional sounding stuff. 
    Looks to me like that last minute vote changed everything!
  • Unless I am blind I make it a three way tie! Which begs the questions what to do?

Should we do a rollover and bump the prize to next challenge with the new prize adde as well ?
    Old Is Gold
    Or (bearing in mind I might have a vested interest in this) open another vote with just the three in?

• Or (bearing in mind I might have a vested interest in this) open another vote with just the three in?
    Yeah we could do that. I can open the voting for another week to decided the winner from Steamabacus, Adam MD and Not the DJ

I will probably overhaul the voting system for the next challenge to allow people 2 votes, a first and second choice. Your first choice is worth 3 points and your second choice is worth 1 point, something like that. I shall have a think.
    Old Is Gold
    Yeah, it would be good to give credit to more than one track. You can see from the comments in the voting thread how many mention the ones they almost picked.
  • Right there is a MK2 voting thread now with the three tiebreakers added, please vote for your favourite.

If you are one of the three finalists im afraid you cannot vote this time around.
    Old Is Gold
  • Yeah, it would be good to give credit to more than one track. You can see from the comments in the voting thread how many mention the ones they almost picked.
    We could do top three I guess but i'd like to make a bit of a difference between the points to avoid a draw again.
    Old Is Gold
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    Antique_Guitars;255117" said:
    not_the_dj said:

Or (bearing in mind I might have a vested interest in this) open another vote with just the three in?

Yeah we could do that. I can open the voting for another week to decided the winner from Steamabacus, Adam MD and Not the DJ

I will probably overhaul the voting system for the next challenge to allow people 2 votes, a first and second choice. Your first choice is worth 3 points and your second choice is worth 1 point, something like that. I shall have a think.
    I vote for a stare off.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • What about a team challenge?
    @PolarityMan

The option to enter the competitions as a team has always been in the rules from the beginning, you just have to get some people to join up with you.

I don't think I would do a competition specifically for teams just yet though as we don't have enough people participating at the moment.
    Old Is Gold