Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Wine -o'-clock Gumtree punters

What's Hot
mbembe Frets: 1840
Late one night.....

"Hi, is the guitar still for sale? I'm very interested in it."

"Hi, yes the guitar is still for sale."

**End of conversation**

:# 
8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18934
    People are weird...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I may or may not have done this in the past...   

I've also woken up to find I've bought a bass on eBay once that I didn't even like the look of.... I also didn't (at the time) play bass.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33827
    I have a copy/paste response that says
    'Yes it is still available, but it is late and I'm heading to bed soon. Contact me again tomorrow and we can discuss it.'.

I almost never hear back from them.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12415
    I've had that a few times.

My best ever gumtree sale was my acoustic I put on and someone emailed me within 20 minutes asking if they could pick it straight up, thinking they obviously knew a cracking deal when they saw it I met them an hour later - the guy didn't play guitar bought it as a gift, it was the first one that came up on gumtree and was on his way home from work.
    2reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • It wouldn't be gumtree if you didn't have at least one of these per item :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • BeardyAndyBeardyAndy Frets: 716
    edited October 2019
    Doesn't take much to say "Thanks for that, I'm looking at a few but may get back to you" does it?  

I guess the flip side is to gas over something for a few days only for them to tell you it's sold and they forgot to end the listing! :p
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4280
    mbe said:
    Late one night.....

**End of conversation**

:# 
    Sorry fella, I fell asleep after sending the message. Like you say, few glasses of wine and all that....

Anyway, wondering if you would be interested in trading it for a set of garden furniture, barely used?
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14553
    Doesn't take much to say, "Thanks for that. I'm looking at a few but may get back to you", does it?  
    In this day and age, the attitude of many punters is that Gumtree is a service. Thus, by extension, you are a service provider. These oafs think that they own you. 

Perhaps, there should be a small charge for making enquiries, fully refundable upon purchase? 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    Last year I listed something up on Gumtree. One day I had a text message from an unknown number and the entire content of the message was:

”30”

It transpired after some investigative work that he was offering me £30 for the item I had for sale. No money changed hands, but he received a completely free lesson on the art of the English language. 
    6reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BRISTOL86 said:
    Last year I listed something up on Gumtree. One day I had a text message from an unknown number and the entire content of the message was:

”30”

It transpired after some investigative work that he was offering me £30 for the item I had for sale. No money changed hands, but he received a completely free lesson on the art of the English language. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14553
    BRISTOL86 said:
    he received a completely free lesson on the art of the English language. 
    LOL + Wiz = Wow! 

Forty two.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3991
    BRISTOL86 said:

”30”

I’ve had similar, for a custom shop Gibson Les Paul...

”1300”

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p_jay78p_jay78 Frets: 182
    The other day I had the generic Gumtree spam when selling a Stratocaster

'Is your item still for sale, please tell me your best price and I will arrange a courier'. The English was more broken but I digress...

Naturally I replied

'Yes the giraffe is still for sale, still has a limp though'.

They replied asking for my Paypal address. Classic Gumtree.  
    9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I think you get used to Gumtree (and facebook marketplace for that matter) after a while. If the question is 30 i would just reply "nope" and leave it there. Sometimes i respond to "is it still for sale" with "yes it is , i'm in Derby , where are you coming from" as a way of determining level of interest.
    FB has a very useful feature of just swiping left to delete a Marketplace conversation which i only noticed recently.
  • ModellistaModellista Frets: 2041
    Weird, isn't it.  More weird are sellers that don't really want to sell.  

Me: "Hi, would you trade for a Mex Fender Telecaster?"
    Him: "Great Telecaster but I already have one, thanks for the offer."
    Me: "No probs, what sort of trade are you looking for? I've got Fender, Squier, Vintage, Ibanez, Washburn for trade"

[no reply]

Me: "Let me know what sort of thing you'd be interested in as a trade and perhaps cash your way"

[no reply]

Ad was still up for weeks after.  I was really interested in the guitar too!
  • KrisGeeKrisGee Frets: 1307
    He's not replied to you cuz he's also already had Fender, Squier, Vintage, Ibanez and Washburn. 
  • brooombrooom Frets: 1175
    edited October 2019
    mbe said:
    Late one night.....

**End of conversation**

I'd say you're doing quite alright if that's where the conversation ended. Usually it's followed by... I really want to buy it for my son who lives in the UK, but I like in country X. Can you send me a message with the bank details, description, you contact, etc... in this exact form.

So you can guess where it goes from there.
  • There's an automatic button on Gumtree for sending a generic "Hi, is your item still available? I am interested" message, and it's quite easy to mash it with your finger by mistake if you're looking at Gumtree on your phone when a bit pissed, and then think fuck it, it must be fate, and hit send, and regret it in the morning - or so I'm told by, er, a friend.
  • I once had a late night Gumtree conversation with someone about an air guitar. I tried to convince them to buy my air plectrums, air amp and air lead to go with it... 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • brooombrooom Frets: 1175
    And you received some air for it.