Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

What alternatives to fender strats ?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4126
    edited October 2019
    Thanks for all thr suggestions.  Have checked them all out.   None really appeal that much.   Maybe if I took a jumbo fret SSS strat,  sanded the horns to pointy, resprayed it some kind of flamed lava burst, locked the trem in place, fitted locking tuners,  sanded the brand name off, and etched my own that might be best
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    I'm aiming for the whole Satchel vibe rather than Keith.  

I think it needs to be:

flamed maple cap or veneer
    Hard tail
    24.75 scale
    Jumbo frets
    SSS
    Pointy

Hmm

How important are each of your wish-list items above? Are you willing to drop one or two?

The Dean Custom 350 and 450 ticks all the boxes bar the scale (25.5) and the pickups (EMG81/85).

@fastonbaz had you thought of commissioning your own ‘custom’ from, say, Feline?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31648
    Why don't you just pick up a batwing guard SG and put three single coil pickups in it? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks for all thr suggestions.  Have checked them all out.   None really appeal that much.   Maybe if I took a jumbo fret SSS strat,  sanded the horns to pointy, resprayed it some kind of flamed lava burst, locked the trem in place, fitted locking tuners,  sanded the brand name off, and etched my own that might be best
    The Ibanez Fireman suggested by someone earlier has:
    Jumbo frets
    SSS
    Pointy shap(ish)
    Red
    Hard tail

If you find one, buy it... And then sell it to me ;-)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3893
    Partscaster
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31648
    Thanks for all thr suggestions.  Have checked them all out.   None really appeal that much.   Maybe if I took a jumbo fret SSS strat,  sanded the horns to pointy, resprayed it some kind of flamed lava burst, locked the trem in place, fitted locking tuners,  sanded the brand name off, and etched my own that might be best
    The Ibanez Fireman suggested by someone earlier has:
    Jumbo frets
    SSS
    Pointy shap(ish)
    Red
    Hard tail

If you find one, buy it... And then sell it to me ;-)

Then you can sell it to me!
  • How’s  about the John Page Classic Ashburn ? Coda have them cheap (£829) I think at the moment too
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5446
    How’s  about the John Page Classic Ashburn ? Coda have them cheap (£829) I think at the moment too
    Only a leftie remains...
  • Whitecat said:
    How’s  about the John Page Classic Ashburn ? Coda have them cheap (£829) I think at the moment too
    Only a leftie remains...
    Denied !
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72549
    You could start with something like this and upgrade the hardware...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/254295816824

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein