Hamer DuoTone - any love?

What's Hot
TTonyTTony Frets: 27659
Prompted by the enthusiastic reception given to a couple of US Hamers listed here FS, I wondered what the informed view was on this model?

AFAIK, it's a mid-90s US-built guitar.  This one has got a BKP MQ in the neck position in place of the original HB.

Views?
Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11625
    tFB Trader
    Makes sense - Kaman owned Hamer at the time and so it has Ovation acoustic p/u and bridge
    Interesting chambering in them too

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27659
    Cheers Jon @FelineGuitars. ;   See lots of comments re the Artists (I've got one of those too) but very little about these.  Beautifully made.

Didn't realise that it came out of the same organisation as the Ovations, so you've added to my knowledge!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Kaman bought Hamer in 1988. I was working for Shadow in early 1989 who supplied acoustic pickups to Ovation so ended up mixing with the Hamer crew at Music Messe show.

The DuoTone was introduced in 1994 as an acoustic/ electric stereo hybrid guitar. It features a semi-hollow mahogany body with a spruce top, a piezo pickup mounted in the bridge and three functionally tuned circular soundholes. The standard model came with two humbuckers, but in 1996 only, Hamer offered this model with P-90 pickups. The guitar sounds good in your band since P-90s are typically brighter than humbuckers, but not as crisp or tinny as Fender single coils. It also has acoustic capabilities with the piezo pickup, which is extremely useful when switching between acoustic and electric tones in the middle of a song. This guitar was introduced at the height of the alternative scene in the mid-nineties and several noted artists played the DuoTone including Stone Gossard of Pearl Jam, Chris Cornell of Soundgarden and Dweezil Zappa.

Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    listened to this tonight ....nice interview with Hamer founder Jol Danzig

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • These are pretty unusual especially in the UK, and they are their own thing with the combination of features. I know guys on the HFC who use them for practically every/any genre of music in various bands.

i love that one :) 
    I'm always looking for interesting USA Hamers for sale.

At the moment I'm looking for:
    * Hamer Watson, SS2, Vintage S, T62.
    * Music Man Luke 1, Luke II

Please drop me a message.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27659
    @Bennyboy-UK - any idea on value?

It's pretty clean - amazingly clean for its age - but not pristine.  With a Hamer branded case - looks original.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I’ve seen a few come and go over the last year or so, but not many - I’ll whack you a PM @TTony ;
    I'm always looking for interesting USA Hamers for sale.

At the moment I'm looking for:
    * Hamer Watson, SS2, Vintage S, T62.
    * Music Man Luke 1, Luke II

Please drop me a message.