Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Wireless Option?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1818
    edited October 2019
    Quick word of caution with the Smoothhound - I used one (well 2 actually) for many years with no issues, however, I was the only "wireless" one in the band, once the singer and Bass Player got other units (Shure units) these Smoothhounds started to have interference/dropout issues and it ended up I couldn't use them - even though they are supposed to renegotiate - so either my 2 were faulty or they only negotiate in a very narrow range - couldn't get much sense outside of "send them back for repair" (which is fine, no issue with that - at least they reply!!).

I have now bought the Audio Technica system (the ATW something or other) no issues so far, however, I have been noticing a little hiss which is dependant on where the transmitter is located on my body/strap - this could be down to the active circuits in the Lukes (but its doing the same with an old Strat) - need to think about some form of shielding perhaps - TBH, the whole wireless thing is beginning to be more of a faff than its worth and I have recently gone back to a cable as its quieter!!!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31743
    I don't think there's a single solution for everyone, it depends what you expect from it. I've been using a Line 6 G10 for hundreds of gigs without any issue whatsoever, and the rechargeable bug is what sold it to me.

The only issue is the crappy USB 5v power socket, which has never let me down, but is extremely fragile and requires a separate power supply. 
    Consequently I bought the new 9v-powered G10s base unit, and it's been a pain in the arse. It took twice as long to recharge the bug and dropped out all the time, even though, unlike the cheaper old version it has selectable channels as well as the auto channel.

I've pretty well solved those issues, it seems to draw a lot more current than the old unit, so I'm now using two sockets on my power supply, and because it has twice the range of the old base unit it reacts badly to any phones anywhere near my board. I've had to ask the band to keep phones on airplane mode, which has cured the dropouts so far. 

I really don't need much of a range and would have happily built an adaptor to enable me to put a proper power socket in the old one, but I've yet to find a reliable, low-noise schematic. 
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3057
    I did see the G75 and it did look a bargain but I was put off for two reasons:

1) I'd seen a few poor reviews of the G70 that referred to dropouts and claimed the G30 was better
    2) I assumed it was being heavily discounted for a reason!

I take it these assumptions are wide of the mark.
    I had a G70 (3 actually) and never solved the drop out problems.

I moved on to a G90 and it's been much better.

The G90 is the rack-mount version of the G50 so would recommend the G50.

The reason the G70/G75 are discounted is because they failed EU certification. I presume Line6 are dumping inventory.

R.
  • G30 here. I like that the receiver unit is small enough to fit under my pedalboard and can be powered from a power bank.

• trolleytrolley Frets: 89
    I used a G30 for 3 years of gigging - never had an issue. I now have a G90, but I haven't used it much in anger though
  • VaiaiVaiai Frets: 530
    I have used the G10 for 3-4 years now I think? Done loads of gigs but I have been very careful with the stupid mini USB power - 1st one I had actually broke inside but it was a known fault and I got a complete new one which has been rock solid. I never get dropouts - the other guitarist uses a G70 and the band all use wireless IEM. For what they cost it's great.

I charge before every gig but have seen me turn up to a gig after a few rehearsals and forgotten to charge and I have plugged in as soon as I arrive at the venue and by the time we go on it's charged enough to do the whole 3 hrs.

The G30 is a classic and been around a long time - I have many friends who have used them for hundreds of gigs. I just hate the battery situation!
  • Thanks for all the great responses guys. I have eventually decided to go with the Smooth Hound. It looks like a well made bit of kit and I like using companies like this as you tend to get a better service. I've certainly found that with the pickups, straps and cables I use anyway. It also seems well priced and has plenty artists using it that will be playing bigger gigs than me. I wouldn't have bothered with anything as I thought my gigging days were behind me but I've joined a new band and we should be gigging in the new year, though I suspect this is effectively my retirement band as I really don't see me playing live after my stint in this band is over.
  • AdeyAdey Frets: 2353
    I've got a smooth hound and had no problems with it.

The only negative I have is that the battery compartment cover is a bit flimsy. The sticky pad to stop the unit moving around on your guitar attaches to this, and unless I'm very careful taking the unit off my guitar, the unit comes out of the jack socket, but leaves the battery cover attached to the guitar  !!

In my opinion, that's the only thing that needs sorting on it.