Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Strymon Iridium Review/Demo - Kemper/Helix killer....? Nah

What's Hot
JohnCordyJohnCordy Frets: 650

So this came in the post today so I wanted to get something out asap. Dodgy playing, but this is how this quite anticipated thing sounds! Make your own conclusions.

Oh - and Kemper owners, in the description I've profiled each of the settings clean and dimed, so you might like to try that!
0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    Lovely playing. Hate to admit it but it sounds great. A little info about recording and how you are listening to your playing. Forgive me; treat me like the novice I am to all things digital. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JohnCordyJohnCordy Frets: 650
    Not novice questions at all! So this is going direct into my Lexicon interface, and I'm hearing it back via JBL LSR305s, what you hear here is the direct sound.
    Here's a bit more of each of the individual amp models

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    How does the amp side stand up to the Revival Drive?
    hmm this Plexi model does sound nice
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JohnCordy said:
    hmm this Plexi model does sound nice
    very nice 
    Thanks @gibsongretschfan . Aside from the price of the Iridium I'm quite impressed!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JohnCordy said:
    Thanks @gibsongretschfan . Aside from the price of the Iridium I'm quite impressed!
     I just seen one your videos come up on my instagram feed... turns out I already follow you. Wasnt aware of that!

Do you think it is £400 good? or is it £200 worth of branding and an HX Stomp is a no brainer in this price bracket and form factor?
    Honestly. I guess I'd have to compare it to something like a flyrig for a true like to like because the Hx stomp just does so much more. Having said that for out of the box simplicity and those who don't like menus this makes a lot of sense for in a silent rig situation. 
  • JohnCordy said:
    Honestly. I guess I'd have to compare it to something like a flyrig for a true like to like because the Hx stomp just does so much more. Having said that for out of the box simplicity and those who don't like menus this makes a lot of sense for in a silent rig situation. 
    The question is...does it to all of that better than an analogue AMT preamp and, say, a Mooer Radar for IRs? If I was looking for something to stick at the end of a pedalboard (and I did exactly that a few years back), that'd be my first stop. It's also half the price, which is a big, big point when it comes to this kind of thing.
    <space for hire>
  • JohnCordy said:
    Yeah I have an RK Flyrig as a back up, I’m pretty happy with it for the occasions I call upon it and it is TINY. Also has a great fusion lead tone that I’d imagine you could make the most of too
  • JohnCordy said:
    The question is...does it to all of that better than an analogue AMT preamp and, say, a Mooer Radar for IRs? If I was looking for something to stick at the end of a pedalboard (and I did exactly that a few years back), that'd be my first stop. It's also half the price, which is a big, big point when it comes to this kind of thing.
    The AMT fender one with the loops is terrific.

but then again so is the Joyo American Sound for £30

im trying to keep an open mind on this but it’s just seems like Strymon are taking the piss.... they will still sell a bunch regardless so like I said earlier in this thread: more power to them 

I’d rather have a flyrig and a week in Benidorm though 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2898
    Great playing, not really my style of tone/music but it does sound good. Waiting to hear someone playing some bog standard rock/metal riffy stuff on the gained up plexi. Despite my initial excitement it doesn’t actually seem like it’s any real improvement over the HX Stomp other than ease of use. 
    Let me know any specific styles you're after. For gained up stuff it'll probably need a pedal in front just fyi!

@digitalscream could you point me in the direction of what you'd consider direct competition - you've mentioned a couple AMT things? Is there an amp and cab in one?
  • timbuk02timbuk02 Frets: 271
    JohnCordy said:
    could you point me in the direction of what you'd consider direct competition -
    Shiftline Twin -  analogue but two loadable IR slots give it some flexibility. Tho its price makes the Iridium look good value as it realistically does more. Reverb is a nice touch.

Great demo's - thanks - hopefully next time strymon launch something they'll knock on your door.

• hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    I have a query that might sound a bit idiotic but here goes. We all concern ourselves if an amp is loud enough for gigs etc. This isn’t an amp as such so would it be loud enough ? Or in a live case one would be going through a pa and the power amp is there in the powered speakers etc.

I told you it might sound idiotic ;)
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    I have a query that might sound a bit idiotic but here goes. We all concern ourselves if an amp is loud enough for gigs etc. This isn’t an amp as such so would it be loud enough ? Or in a live case one would be going through a pa and the power amp is there in the powered speakers etc.

I told you it might sound idiotic ;)
    It would need to go through a PA or a FRFR powered cab.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    @JohnCordy - excellent videos mate. Well done. The Iridium on my board is a keeper - great pedal IMHO.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    @Fretwired that's awesome, I think it could work for loads of people who are reluctantly forced into the silent rig scenario but hate menus etc!

Here's some higher gain examples and Kemper profiles for anyone who cares:

• TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10226
    It sounds great and you play very well. A bit too much of the old neck wobbling for me though ;) 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom