Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

The Dominance of Stratists

What's Hot

Comments

• chris78chris78 Frets: 9369
    My ultimate guitar tone is Springsteen 1978. A partscaster tele with overwound pickups.
    my next favourites are Frusciante, Hendrix, Clapton (Layla era), Blackmore, Knopfler, Dave Murray (all strats), then Quo’s teles. 

I can’t imagine ever not having a tele and a strat in my collection. There are some great Les Paul players, but I reckon they’d have sounded good with single coils too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    chris78 said:
    My ultimate guitar tone is Springsteen 1978. A partscaster tele with overwound pickups.
    my next favourites are Frusciante, Hendrix, Clapton (Layla era), Blackmore, Knopfler, Dave Murray (all strats), then Quo’s teles. 

I can’t imagine ever not having a tele and a strat in my collection. There are some great Les Paul players, but I reckon they’d have sounded good with single coils too.
    Horses for courses. Can’t imagine Angus on a strat.
  • Calum13Calum13 Frets: 37
    thegummy said:
    brooom said:
    Tenebrous said:
    Cobain - JagStang
    Cobain barely played his JagStang... throughout most of his live performances he played Fender Japan stratocasters with rosewood necks. As for the other guitars, he's more associated with his 1965 Jaguar, his multiple Fender mustangs (either originals or japanese reissues), his japanese 62 telecasters, his Univox hiflyers, epi ET-270, original Mosrites, etc.

The JagStang as it stood was never really a guitar he favoured. Whether he intended it or not, he used strats for most of Nirvana's big tours.
    Interesting.

Did his Strats have humbuckers?
    He either used a SD Hot Rails or JB Jr I think. Some had a single coil in the bridge, but he used his strats for smashing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28341
    Strat. Best guitar.

Just my personal opinion of course, I have reasons to think this but to be honest I can't be arsed with typing them right now. I need to get on with some work and stop faffing around on the FB!
  • lysanderlysander Frets: 574
    ICBM said:

I've always found real Strats - and Teles - a little too big... possibly that's why my favourite 'Strat' is my Aria RS, which is a slimmer shape.

Yep, I would love a "Strat" something like the size of a Washburn N4.

But not this.

Am I weird if you just made me want to buy one ? Like the shape ...
  • brooombrooom Frets: 1175
    roberty said:
    Left hand Japanese strats were abundant and reasonably priced. He used them because he was smashing them every night
    True... but for teenagers like myself at the time, it would be unthinkable not to day dream about having a strat when you opened up an album leaflet, book or bootleg and saw Kurt playing one. Of course a jaguar and a mustang were also on the radar.
  • gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • brooombrooom Frets: 1175
    Tenebrous said:
    brooom said:
    Tenebrous said:
    Cobain - JagStang
    Cobain barely played his JagStang... throughout most of his live performances he played Fender Japan stratocasters with rosewood necks. As for the other guitars, he's more associated with his 1965 Jaguar, his multiple Fender mustangs (either originals or japanese reissues), his japanese 62 telecasters, his Univox hiflyers, epi ET-270, original Mosrites, etc.

The JagStang as it stood was never really a guitar he favoured. Whether he intended it or not, he used strats for most of Nirvana's big tours.
    Aha, my bad. Always happy to learn!
    Sorry, didn't mean to sound condescending.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9734
    Sassafras said:
    Better clarity, string definition, dynamics, variety and comfort.

All the above, plus superb versatility. However nothing is as much fun as a good Tele.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4195
    HAL9000 said:
    Sassafras said:
    Better clarity, string definition, dynamics, variety and comfort.

All the above, plus superb versatility. However nothing is as much fun as a good Tele.
    I love Strats and Strst style guitars but I agree that a good tele makes me giggle like a kid ;)
  • I'd not want to be without a Strat but I'm begining to think 7 might be too many....

:#
    When logic and proportion
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2911
    edited October 2019
    I’m not really sure how I ended up with an SG as my only guitar. Apart from Iommi I don’t think I’m inspired by any other SG players, don’t think they’re that cool looking, or amazing sounding. Mine does seem to fit me nicely though. Nice and light, great neck and I like how it hangs on a strap.

Most of my favourite players are strat or Les Paul with a few teles. Used to be LP only but got fed up with the weight, bulk and upper fret access. I feel like I’ve been building up to getting a PRS for a while now which does actually seem like a good blend of strat and LP. If only the McCarty was anywhere near my budget!
  • Most of the music I've been into has not been by Stratists. Led Zep, Black Sabbath has been (mostly) more Gibson oriented after the earliest albums. Strats have never looked cool to me, they didn't seem as ROCK as a Les Paul.

But most of the music I listen to these days is heavier still and so Strats don't really get a look in.

• thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Most of the music I've been into has not been by Stratists. Led Zep, Black Sabbath has been (mostly) more Gibson oriented after the earliest albums. Strats have never looked cool to me, they didn't seem as ROCK as a Les Paul.

But most of the music I listen to these days is heavier still and so Strats don't really get a look in.
    Aye for the more "full on rock" bands, i.e. ones that are more purely the ancestors of metal, rather than more like the ancestors of various indie genres like a lot of my Strat players' music, Gibsons are more on point. Basically artists you'd quote in the early days when talking about how metal came about.

Metal itself though has its own modern instruments, it's still very much in its day as a genre rather than being somewhat of a retro "throwback" genre like a lot of the ones I'm in to. So they tend to have more updated extended range designs, active pickups and the likes rather than Fender or Gibson models from the old days.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23064
    Several of my favourite players use or used Strats - Robin Trower, Uli Jon Roth, Ritchie Blackmore. 

And in recent years I've personally been preferring Fender guitars - especially the necks, I never seem to find a Gibson, PRS or whatever with a neck I really like.  And I love the look, especially the big-headstock '70s style.

Despite all that, I generally prefer the sound of humbuckers, although a Strat is wonderful for certain distorted lead guitar tones, not so much for rhythm.  I'm not particularly fond of clean Strat sounds.
  • I love my squier contemporary 2018 HH not really into the SSS 
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2427
    I went for years deliberately not owning a Strat because so many other people do. I thought they'd be generic and would make me look and sound like everyone else. Also let's face it the name Stratocaster is just silly.

Now I've been through three or four and I barely play anything else. I think Leo just got it right. And for me it needs to be SSS and have the original Fender trem.

• I love my squier contemporary 2018 HH not really into the SSS 
    Same. Mine is a Contemporary Active and it's the best Strat I've ever played 
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1818
    I think about this a lot - apart from 1 (Lukather - there again, he did play a VA which was a Superstrat I suppose) all of my other favourites are Strat players - Landau, Beck, Hendrix, Gilmour, EJ etc.

Landau in particular always makes me GAS for a Strat, I have a few but in all honesty they don't see the light of day, however, this weekend I am actually going to use a Strat for a gig just to see how I get on as in the house it plays and feels fine, in the heat of a gig though its a different matter - I liken it to playing a banjo - just plinky plonk city!!!

Strat in question for this weekend is a CP 50 in Shoreline Gold - this one is currently the one that feels OK under the fingers...

I also have an '82 JV, a '94 62 RI Jap, an '87 Standard (bastardised to hell) and a late 90's US Standard (which hasn't actually been out of its case for 5+ years!!)

I really want to be a Strat player, its just they leave me down ( or more a case of I leave them down!!) in a live environment. 
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7131
    Stuckfast said:
    I went for years deliberately not owning a Strat because so many other people do. I thought they'd be generic and would make me look and sound like everyone else. Also let's face it the name Stratocaster is just silly.

Now I've been through three or four and I barely play anything else. I think Leo just got it right. And for me it needs to be SSS and have the original Fender trem.

Stratocaster is not even close to a silly name Stuckfast.
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom