Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

The Dominance of Stratists

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9734
    The nicest guitars I've ever played are strats. But expensive ones. In the realms of expensive guitars, a Custom Shop strat... ...is hard to beat.

Sadly, I can't justify the cost of a CS Strat but there is definitely something just right about them. Every one I've ever played has somehow felt instantly comfortable and familiar.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    This discussion started by referring to discovering new music/guitar players and invariably it's a Strat.  Whilst I do like a Strat, and Strat players, the best new to me players of the last few years, that I've subsequently been to see, are:

1 Kirk Fletcher

Seen him 3 times, different guitar each time: Les Paul, Tele, 335

2 JD Simo

Seen him 3 times:  1960 Les Paul (into an old JTM 45, no pedals - flip me it sounded good!), 335, 335

3 Josh Smith

Seen him once, Telecaster.

Dunno what that means - they make the sort of music and sounds that I like, or maybe subconsiously I don't like strats after all!
    Never heard of any of them lol.

Just to clarify I wasn't necessarily meaning new players that I've just discovered because they've only just started recording - I just mean ones I haven't heard before. E.g. Eric Johnson is ancient but it was only this year I really started listening to him (and he is one of the elite ones to me and, as we all know, plays a Strat).

Incidentally, the most recent one I've got in to is Nick Johnson. I will check out the names you mention though, always looking for good new music to hear.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8540
    I have been looking for my ideal strat for a while

Olympic White
    RW board
    Nitro finish
    5 way blade
    9.25 radius
    late 50's pick ups.
    Under 8lbs.

Not fussed about relic or VOS
    Apart from the pickups (easily changed) that’s a Fender American Original 60’s, not hard to find.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7131
    dindude said:
    I have been looking for my ideal strat for a while

Olympic White
    RW board
    Nitro finish
    5 way blade
    9.25 radius
    late 50's pick ups.
    Under 8lbs.

Not fussed about relic or VOS
    Apart from the pickups (easily changed) that’s a Fender American Original 60’s, not hard to find.
    yeah that's what i was thinking, wasn't 100% sure on radius, but they look stunning
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11469
    ICBM said:

I'm much more comfortable on 24.75.

I wish there was more choice than just Gibson inspired models at that scale.
    All full-scale Rickenbackers and most Gretsches are.

(Technically Gretsches can be slightly shorter at around 24.6", but so can Gibsons.)
    What I'd really like is a rough strat shape (Or Ibby / Jackson etc) with the Gibson scale and a hard tail, or at least a regular strat trem I can lock down.

And a 42mm nut - maybe 42.5mm like my very heavy Epi Zakk Wylde. 43mm is too wide for me.

If you want a shorter scale, I think Warmoth do conversion necks that you can put onto a regular Strat.  Not sure what nut width they have as stock, but you might be able to build one to you specs.  Warmoth do get expensive by the time you pay shipping and import duties, so someone like GSP Basses on here might be worth talking to.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72571
    fretmeister said:

What I'd really like is a rough strat shape (Or Ibby / Jackson etc) with the Gibson scale and a hard tail, or at least a regular strat trem I can lock down.

And a 42mm nut - maybe 42.5mm like my very heavy Epi Zakk Wylde. 43mm is too wide for me.
    Rickenbacker 230.

Odd and unconventional even by Rickenbacker standards, but it is at least a double-cut body - not exactly Strat-like, but broadly similar - hard tail, with a 24.75" scale and 41.5 mm nut width.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2897
    Always come back to strats. Just the ultimate guitar , along with teles!! 

Fender just makes the nicest guitars out there. 

Anyone lols gets a slap!!!!  :)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom