What's this Squier?

What's Hot
NeilNeil Frets: 3637
Just got a message from my son that he is buying this Squier and practise amp for me to keep me quiet (?) when I am out at his place in Florida in November/December.

I am not at all cognisant  on Squiers so anyone know what it is out of interest?

Thanks.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7065
    tFB Trader
    I think these were sold with a small amp as a starter pack?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72572
    Looks like a Squier Standard, probably about 15 years old before they changed to the CBS headstock, will be made in either China or Indonesia I think - they have real wood bodies and satin-finished necks.

If so they're quite nice, although that one needs the intonation doing .

The amp looks like a Rocktron Velocity V10, which will sound like a very angry hornet in a beer can . But actually not too bad clean, or if you keep the gain right down and the volume up a bit.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • That's the box-set version of the Affinity that, as SteveRobinson said above, was sold in starter packs.
  • These have one of my favourite necks ever. I love them. 

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72572
    That's the box-set version of the Affinity that, as SteveRobinson said above, was sold in starter packs.
    Ah, yes - you're right. I thought I was seeing a three-ply guard round the tone controls, but it's not.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14568
    CY serial number? 

ICBM said:
    three-ply guard 
    Hopefully, it is the thicker white single ply plastic with a bevelled edge rather than the thin white version that cracks and breaks if you so much as look at it. 

ICBM said:
    round the tone controls
    There is an issue with the outline of some MIC Stratocaster pickguards. It reaches slightly further towards the jack socket plate than a regular Stratocaster. Hence, the majority of aftermarket replacement 'guards risk leaving the corner of the extended controls rout showing. Even when the cavity is covered, there may be nothing into which the screw in the corner can bite. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3637
    Thanks all for the great info.   I cannot unfortunately see it yet as it is in the US.

I must admit looking at it I'd noticed that the distance between the output and scratch plate looked a bit different but wasn't sure if that was normal on Squiers.

It will be nice to keep my hand in when I'm away though - and I will certainly set the intonation! 

Thanks again all.  :)
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9734
    ICBM said:
    That's the box-set version of the Affinity that, as SteveRobinson said above, was sold in starter packs.
    Ah, yes - you're right. I thought I was seeing a three-ply guard round the tone controls, but it's not.

The other giveaway is that Affinitys have 'Strat', rather than 'Stratocaster', on the headstock.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • steersteer Frets: 1196
    edited October 2019
    Looks quite similiar to the guitar that I recently picked up for restoration. I really like mine. Cheap but good.