Guitars that you can’t put down

What's Hot
pickergpickerg Frets: 30
Ok, so like others I’m  probably guilty of gassing when I should be practising sometimes. So for a bit of fun, what guitars do you have that inspire you to play them and why? Do they play themselves or play like butter hehe? Is it how the neck feels or that amazing set up/fret job? Is it because it’s vintage with a story? Or does it sound so good it inspires you to play it? 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• My Performance is like that. The neck is amazing, I love how it looks since it was refinished, the setup is perfect (thanks to Jon at @FelineGuitars) and it sounds massive.

Yesterday I played a few guitars at Peach and the Schecter C-6 Pro was like it too; i kept going back to it and couldn't put it down. Cracking guitar!
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• stimpsonslostsonstimpsonslostson Frets: 5420
    edited October 2019
    Currently it's my newly completed Telemaster Partscaster- it sounds great (thanks in part to the Oil City Liquidator in the bridge) and is phenomenally comfortable to play. My only criticism of Telecasters is that they're not really ergonomic, but the contoured body on this is great.  
     I have 4 way switching in it so I can get a good HBish sound too should the need arise.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/fTE64L15Q7WSeuWB8

It's the one in the middle, with it's home built brethren. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7131
    thought this was gonna be about when the nitro doesn't set properly
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    11reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28341
    My home made Strat. It's not perfect but I love it

0reaction image LOL 8reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7131
    axisus said:

looks superb, want my CP to grow old gracefully like that but doubt it will with its super thick poly finish
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • TenebrousTenebrous Frets: 1332
    axisus said:

I love that!

Mine would probably be my acoustic overall. It's nothing special (Mexican Martin DRS1), but it's a great playing & great sounding guitar, and it doesn't disappoint me when I feel like playing amplified, either.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    I put my guitars up, on wall hangers.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • markr76markr76 Frets: 360
    I think mine would have to be my custom shop Strat. It’s always felt like my guitar, like an old friend, from the minute I picked it up at coda music. It’s nothing super special just a team built 62’ reissue in faded sonic blue. The guitar was originally built with a Brazilian rosewood neck, but sat in storage with fender for a bit as cities came in. In the end the neck was changed to an Indian rosewood neck. So I got the guitar a lot cheaper. 
    I’ve tinkered with the pickups since I got it and it now has a set of mojo 60’s pups in it and it’s just about perfect for me!
  • ModellistaModellista Frets: 2041
    I once read a book I couldn’t put down.  “The History Of Glue”. 
  • springheadspringhead Frets: 1602
    This beaten up old machine:

I've had it for 25+ years and don't have to think when playing it, just works for me.
    0reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    When I get going with my R8 it’s hard to put down as it sounds great and the fat neck plays fast. It’s just a shame it’s so heavy and awkward to play seated without a strap. So I pick it up less than it deserves.
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7160
    I just can't leave it alone.

I just have to get its out and play with it all the time. Can't help myself.

http://www.carverdoug.com/guitars/images/wang.729.jpg
    Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5682

It's a strange phenomenon, I find, that the guitars I like the most are always the classic designs, Strats, Les Pauls etc.

I've owned a few very well made modern guitars, PRS, Charvel, Tom Anderson etc, and while the are incredibly thoughtfully designed and so well made they have all felt sterile and uninspiring to play compared to a Strat or Les Paul.  I enjoyed the Charvels more than the TAs or PRSes I've owned too.

The guitar I miss the most and really used to enjoy playing was a mid-90s Gibson Les Paul Special DC, it was just perfect for me in every way, but again a design which hasn't changed since the late 50s.

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11868
    pickerg said:
    I’m  probably guilty of gassing when I should be practising sometimes.

If you weren't, your Fretboard membership would be revoked... ;)
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7928
    Supro Belmont. Tremendous fun to play. 
  • CMW335CMW335 Frets: 2059
    1959 Telecaster Refin. It’s my second player grade pre cbs Tele and both are amazing. “Guitars you can’t put down” is exactly how I would describe them!

0reaction image LOL 9reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CleckoClecko Frets: 296
    Speaking of @FelineGuitars ; - did you guys see my PM about setups by any chance? Cheers.
  • CMW335 said:
    1959 Telecaster Refin. It’s my second player grade pre cbs Tele and both are amazing. “Guitars you can’t put down” is exactly how I would describe them!

What happened to the scratchplate on the lower horn? Looks like it was screwed in by Stevie Wonder
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • NikcNikc Frets: 627
    My Tele even though its also the only guitar I put away in its case, all the others are either wall mounted or on stands, despite that its play the tele play the tele - an awesome guitar ;)
  • thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2808
    markr76 said:
    I think mine would have to be my custom shop Strat. It’s always felt like my guitar, like an old friend, from the minute I picked it up at coda music. It’s nothing super special just a team built 62’ reissue in faded sonic blue. The guitar was originally built with a Brazilian rosewood neck, but sat in storage with fender for a bit as cities came in. In the end the neck was changed to an Indian rosewood neck. So I got the guitar a lot cheaper. 
    I’ve tinkered with the pickups since I got it and it now has a set of mojo 60’s pups in it and it’s just about perfect for me!
    They had 2 or 3 of those at the time, I bought one of the other ones - also sonic blue.  Superb guitars.  Stupidly I sold mine.