Coronet inspired DC build

What's Hot

Comments

• PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1480
    Thanks @earwighoney - this one sounds great.  The neck is a bit of a handful, but I think that adds to the tone.

Darren, the good thing with this is that the New Yorker pickup is pretty shallow, so not much routing is needed in the neck pocket area and the neck pickup is set back a bit too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3290
    tFB Trader
    PhilKing said:
    Thanks @earwighoney - this one sounds great.  The neck is a bit of a handful, but I think that adds to the tone.

Darren, the good thing with this is that the New Yorker pickup is pretty shallow, so not much routing is needed in the neck pocket area and the neck pickup is set back a bit too.
    Those New York pickups have got my interest, I'll see if Marc at mojo knows anything about them, gold foil pickups will surface mount with no routing needed but with a different neck joint I'm also thinking of 2 humbuckers to rival an sg with better comfort for my taste
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • Looks lovely and retro, better thought out design than SG etc with the neck join integrity, with neck pick up rout etc. All good for tone and lovely vintage vibe.

Wo'ts not to like? Gold foils would be nice, are "new yorkers" a humbucker type btw? Looks like 2 coils but with "Tiesco" surf vibe and jangle looks wise, grin. Anything Marc builds like gold foils would be good as well. Nice, Jazzclub... Nice
    tFB Trader
    johnP_90 said:
    Looks lovely and retro, better thought out design than SG etc with the neck join integrity, with neck pick up rout etc. All good for tone and lovely vintage vibe.

Wo'ts not to like? Gold foils would be nice, are "new yorkers" a humbucker type btw? Looks like 2 coils but with "Tiesco" surf vibe and jangle looks wise, grin. Anything Marc builds like gold foils would be good as well. Nice, Jazzclub... Nice
    New York pups are a single coil, I've only been able to find a single pickup 1959 coronet demo so far

For my idea of a 2 humbucker version I'd do a completely different neck joint if possible

www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • PhilKing said:

Those New York pickups have got my interest, I'll see if Marc at mojo knows anything about them, gold foil pickups will surface mount with no routing needed but with a different neck joint I'm also thinking of 2 humbuckers to rival an sg with better comfort for my taste
    Johnny Smith's are surface mount as well.  

I can only speculate but I have a suspicion a FB in the bridge with a Johnny Smith at the neck would be a good combo.  The Johnny Smith seems to go under the radar but it might be my favourite Gibson pickup. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Whilst waiting for paint to dry I carry on and first up get the dot inlays done, I'll fit them later, then it's thickness the neck and headstock and pin the fretboard on so it doesn't move when I use hot hide glue, you don't get long so it's glue pin and wrap 
    Hopefully it'll get the neck glued in later this week

www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    I haven't been well which is why I hadn't done any work or updates but I'm back taking it easy, I got the dots in then rough carved the neck before flatting the board again and fretting, the frets have been beveled ready for edge rolling

www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    tFB Trader
    Quick mock up

www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    tFB Trader
    Now the rest is a bit trial and error so I just placed the knobs roughly in the same area as a DC junior then drilled the holes through, I stuck a template on the back for the back cavity and used the overhead router, I also did the roundover and jack socket hole
    The necks been glued in then I can get it strung up and work out where I want the p90 route

www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127
    Coming along nicely :)
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11594
    tFB Trader
    Nice progress Darren....something so nice about the Coronet and Crestwood models

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

tFB Trader
    Nice progress Darren....something so nice about the Coronet and Crestwood models
    I agree and there's nothing really out there like them so I'm going to make this a standard model of mine once I've worked it all out, I'm going for the very early version with the thicker body and jack socket on the side like a junior
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    tFB Trader
    Got it strung up today and it weighs an incredible 5.4lb right now, don't think I'll never get this sort of limba again unfortunately, it's old and very lightweight, pickup routes are next then sand etc, I'm thinking candy apple red for it

www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127
    That's a great weight!  As light as my lightest purpose-designed lightweight!
    tFB Trader
    That's a great weight!  As light as my lightest purpose-designed lightweight!
    Makes my Les Paul feel like a boat anchor, I've got an idea for a 2 humbucker version of this, it'll be my sg beater as I don't like how they feel
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    Looking good!... bring it round when you come fit the door ;)
    tFB Trader
    poopot said:
    Looking good!... bring it round when you come fit the door ;)
    You'll like it, necks a bit big but not much more to come off, gonna be really good
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    The doors a bit big as well :)
  • PeteCPeteC Frets: 409
    Love it - beautiful simplicity , but such quality too.  Gonna be a great guitar. 
    tFB Trader
    Got the p90 route done and back cover, fits lovely too, I also drilled for the wiring channel, I'll drill the ground wire from the bush hole into the pickup cavity before I finish it, just needs the neck final sanded to a nice vintage carve then onto finishing

www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom