Ever have trouble sleeping following a practice / gig?

What's Hot
PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2375
In all the bands I've been in, after a late night practice I always takes an age to get to sleep after, like my brain is still racing. Gigs I sort of understand as there is usually a bit of a buzz / nerves from playing in front of people.

Mentioned it to a guy at work, he 'suffers' from the same thing after doing his evening radio show.

Any of you guys experience the same? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306

Certainly after gigs, takes me ages to get to sleep. I usually end up sat on the sofa eating toast watching some crap on TV.

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    Long past gigging these days, but my ears would ring that much I never slept anyway, and yes I did use earplugs.
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6495
    After gigs, yes..almost always. And this is despite the fact that I am always extremely tired and it is very often gone 2am when I get home.

Afte rehearsals...dunno, it's been so long since we had one, I honestly can't remember, but I suspect a similar thing. I think music is a sort of nervous tick, almost like Tourette's. Sometimes it's hard to switch off from it.

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10413

You need to up your alcohol intake, 5 or so beers at the gig and a couple of glasses of red when you get in works for me :)
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • camfcamf Frets: 1191
    Yeah. I'm at the age where most of my bandmates have young kids so we never rehearse until after 'bedtime'... it's so punk rock! :) By the time I get back home about midnight, I find can't get to sleep until I've had a beer and a bit of a wind down for an hour or two. Still have to get up at the same time next day so I'm usually knackered the day after. Still worth it though. :D
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6495
    Danny1969 said:

You need to up your alcohol intake, 5 or so beers at the gig and a couple of glasses of red when you get in works for me :)
    Not really an option for those of us that want to keep our driving licences!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8713
    There's certainly a wind down time. I need about 20 minutes after a rehearsal, and up to an hour once I've got home from a gig. The same can be said of other activities, like long distance driving or decorating the house. I don't think it's specific to music.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • stedsted Frets: 259
    Yeah, but only because my ears are ringing like a ba#%€$d!
  • ElectroDanElectroDan Frets: 554

Not after rehearsal, but after a gig you get in knackered and still have to have a wind down. The toast and telly sounds just the ticket.

• mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3078
    Both. Having kids doesn't help..
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 921
    Yup, so much so. I find that even after i get to sleep, i'm kind of tripping all night, half awake and half asleep. Just as bad if not worse after rehearsal. Think i'm going to try having some night nurse after the next practise.
  • CatthanCatthan Frets: 357
    edited May 2014
    Not at rehearsals anymore.
    At gigs It depends on how long and loud the gig is and also the venue and overall "vibe"..
    I had trouble sleeping when we did 2.5 hrs sets in 600-people shitty-sounding places even though I was totally wrecked by 3 am when I got home.

Recently we did our first residency 1.5hr gig finishing at 10ish. Better place, somehow less tiring (better load in/ out facilities, quiet with a bit of privacy before the gig). It was almost as if I didn't gig. 
  • citizen68citizen68 Frets: 172
    Danny1969 said:

I get a lift home from gigs with drummist so this works for me :P
    Seemed like a good idea.....

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31592
    Not after gigs, I just don't get at all nervous and am out like a light when I get home.
    If I have a studio project on the go I'm buzzing all night though, I find the creative process far more emotionally intrusive than hacking out Blame it on the Boogie in a boozer.
  • davewwdaveww Frets: 165
    edited May 2014
    Gave up gigging when the band split at the end of last summer.  But yes, did have trouble sleeping and usually ended up downing most of a bottle of red when I got home which usually did the trick.  I remember one of our first gigs on a hot night when people kept buying me cokes all night and when I got home I was still buzzing a 6 the next morning.
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9720
    Am i the only person that enjoys a bit of a nap afterwards? When i used to gig i did this a lot, then would go back out again. I was young, and this now makes me feel old =(
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • wave100wave100 Frets: 150
    I find this happens for non musical activities too - eg if I have to work late I need a couple of hours to unwind after getting home. The worst one for me is actually recording, frequently I have to stay up for hours listening to what I've just done, even if I know fine well that no one else is going to listen to it!
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    I always drive to gigs, so that's a none starter for me. Diet Coke throughout. I'm a poor sleeper at the best of times, so when in and wired from a gig it's generally half a bottle of gin or vodka and several episodes of summat off Netflixs or a movie or the interweb thingy. And some cig's in the shed. Not at work or usually not driving the next day so all is reasonable. Ish.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • FezFez Frets: 525
    Plus one for Toast sofa & telly.
    I stopped having Red bull or even Coke a cola so that helps a lot, also reduced alcohol intake massively and find I am much calmer.
    Don't touch that dial.
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    Danny1969 said:

Not really an option for those of us that want to keep our driving licences!
    5 and drive!
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.