American Vintage series used prices

What's Hot
So I've been keeping an eye out for either a Strat, Jazzmaster or Jaguar from the AV series because I would quite like to have one with the more vintage specs without going for a custom shop.

But I can't help but notice the prices that people seam to be listing them up sale for. Most of the ones that have caught my eye have been listed close to the £2000 mark.... 

I know it probably comes down to what am i'm willing to pay for the right guitar, but what sort of price would the majority of people say is fair price for one of these? 

Are they a series which will become more valuable over time like the 80's Fullerton reissues?  
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14614
    Back in May, I traded three Japanese Fender/Squier guitars in varying states of wear and tear against one very clean Fender AVRI '65 Jazzmaster from the Harry Seven collection. IIRC, he and I operated on a notional trade value of £1250. 

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/156201/uh-oh#latest

As ever, the asking prices in on-line advertisements are no indication of the final selling prices. Sellers will inflate their prices. This may be a try on. It may be an attempt to recoup extortionate fees on eBay, Gumtree and Reverb.

adam1990 said:
    the 80's Fullerton reissue  
    The first batch of Vintage Re-Issues from Fullerton are finite in number. Not many owners are rushing to sell them. The rules of supply and demand mean that asking prices will rise. Whether the guitars are demonstrably better than later generations of American Vintage Re-Issue model is debatable. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14495
    edited November 2019 tFB Trader
    At around £2000 I assume you are talking about new  AVRi models - If so yes prices have risen over the last 3-5 years, with the exchange rate having a strong influence on the price changes - Plenty of used AVRi models for sale £1100/1300

As for 'will they become more valuable' over time, then as the price of the equivalent new models rise, it will naturally take the price of popular used models with it, so yes some acceptable increase over the years - But as the market is loaded with some form or another of AVRi models, then I don't see any reason as to why current models will ever jump in price, over and beyond, the equivalent new model/price 

However I don't buy into the hype that surrounds the high inflated prices of early 82 Fullerton USA replica - I'm not sure why they are considered to be so valuable - It is not superior in anyway shape or form than a current AVRi and certainly won't do the job any better - IMO the C/Shop models sit above the AVRi's and Fullerton models, but would agree a case for marginal gains - But that Fullerton hype is IMO a big con - I can tolerate some additional buzz/activity for the old Fullerton replicas, hence some price loading, but 2 and 3K for Fullerton models IMO is silly
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10357
    How much? Are these new or used? Even new these are very, very expensive. 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14614
    IMHO, £1500 for a brand new Fender American Original guitar or bass is perfectly reasonable. (I wouldn't buy one myself because I prefer the 7.25" fingerboard radius of the AVRI series.)
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • How much? Are these new or used? Even new these are very, very expensive. 
    Im looking at the used ones from 2012 - 2017ish when I think they were the American pure vintage 56,59,64,65 ect.. guitars4you said:
    Back in May, I traded three Japanese Fender/Squier guitars in varying states of wear and tear against one very clean Fender AVRI '65 Jazzmaster from the Harry Seven collection. IIRC, he and I operated on a notional trade value of £1250. 

As ever, the asking prices in on-line advertisements are no indication of the final selling prices. Sellers will inflate their prices. This may be a try on. It may be an attempt to recoup extortionate fees on eBay, Gumtree and Reverb.

Im thinking that the listed prices are way over the top. Probably in hope to offset the listing fee.Funkfingers said:
    IMHO, £1500 for a brand new Fender American Original guitar or bass is perfectly reasonable. (I wouldn't buy one myself because I prefer the 7.25" fingerboard radius of the AVRI series.)
    I agree £1500 for a brand new AO isn't too bad of a ball park price for them. although I picked my AO up for £800 used in near mint condition thankfully. I think I also prefer the 7.25 radius which is why I'm tempted for a proper vintage spec fender.

• How much? Are these new or used? Even new these are very, very expensive. 
    Im looking at the used ones from 2012 - 2017ish when I think they were the American pure vintage 56,59,64,65 ect.. guitars4you said:

Im thinking that the listed prices are way over the top. Probably in hope to offset the listing fee.Funkfingers said:
    I agree £1500 for a brand new AO isn't too bad of a ball park price for them. although I picked my AO up for £800 used in near mint condition thankfully. I think I also prefer the 7.25 radius which is why I'm tempted for a proper vintage spec fender.

• If you want vintage specs, honestly try the Vintera range. My Jazzmaster is really great guitar.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10357
    @adam1990 they can't be going for £2k surely.. .
  • £2000 ???

No way
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1990
    Quality wise they're £800 - I had two from '11.
  • strat84strat84 Frets: 322
    In the last 2 years I've bought a 59, 62, 62 hot rod and 65 ri (Strats), all between £900-£1000. Still have the 62 and 65, sold the other 2 for what I paid but they didn't sell fast even at that price. Anything above £1200 is overpriced IMO

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1990
    They tend to come cheaper if you ask to check the pots and then blow your load in the cavity.
  • I had an AVRI 62 Jaguar and it was a truly fantastic guitar. It FELT quality. It sounded really, really great. Each pickup responded so musically to each of the myriad of controls.

The tort looked like crap but I'd probably have switched that out if I'd kept it.

Sold it on and eventually bought a genuine 64 Jag. I may whisper this but I think the AVRI is the better instrument...
  • Did they only make the 52 and the Thinline for the Telecaster? Nothing from the 60s?
  • I saw an Ebay ad recently for a slightly dinged up 57 reissue from the 90s for £2000. I felt like sending him a message just saying ...'lol'
    Guitar dealer and G.A.S merchant by day: www.vibrocaster.com 
      Blues/rock singer & guitarist by night: www.alexhamiltonguitar.com

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2441
    strat84 said:
    In the last 2 years I've bought a 59, 62, 62 hot rod and 65 ri (Strats), all between £900-£1000. Still have the 62 and 65, sold the other 2 for what I paid but they didn't sell fast even at that price. Anything above £1200 is overpriced IMO

Genuinely had no idea they were available for that money. Might start keeping an eye out!
    Tim
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12693
    Theres a lot of overpriced guitars out there right now...

Everyone has bumped their prices thinking that you can speculate and sit it out... tell that to the prat that's been trying to sell a '94 Sunburst US Standard Strat for £1295 for the past year. It *won't* sell for that, no matter how much of a case queen it is. Or the £900 1979 Strat badly hacked about for a Floyd and with EMGs (and heavily worn frets) - at least six months for sale. Or the late 90s Jap Strat that's got its "wonderful" original pickups that make it so desireable (apparently)... unsold at £875 for the past six months.

Point is there is a *SHITLOAD* of Strats, Teles etc for sale at any given time - and even more that are sat under beds, in wardrobes etc. Most of the stories you read about old ones being better are BS (especially if they aren't actually 1960s ones) and a 20 year old thing is going to just be a bit worn (and probably needing some fret work), so not really a "collectors" guitar - as collectors genuinely don't give a fuck about guitars of that vintage. 

So why are the prices inflated? Because folks are greedy and think they can make a few bob on every purchase. Its not just the bedroom dealers its *everyone* - how many times have we read stories about how "great" it is that someone got a bargain and then offloaded it on someone else making a few bob. Well, each time that happens, the perceived 'value' goes up - then it hits a plateau where conventional wisdom says thats the 'value, but nobody is prepared to pay the price asked. There is a school of thought that says if you don't get any enquiries about something for sale, the asking price is too high - the other school of thought says "if I hold out, the values will rise". But currently the market is STAGNANT. Nothing much is selling...

Back to AVRIs - I've *never* played one that I've thought offers anything more than a 'Made in USA' badge over a Jap or Mex one. In fact the AVRI 62 Jazzmaster I had was an utter dog - bought via eBay... sold on... made a loss. Save your money, save a bit more up and buy a CS - they are a *LOT* better. Or buy something cheaper.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • I played an AVRI 52 Tele alongside the new 50's Reissue (? - about £1600) and came home with the older guitar.  I didn't like the flatter radius on the chunky neck and the whole thing just didn't have the vibe.  Project Music had just knocked it down to £900 so it now sits happily next to my desk.  Cut the nut properly and put a Cirrostratus bridge pickup in and it really does stack up up well against the CS stuff I've played.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11486
    The American Original is the successor to the AVRI series.  That's around £1500 new if you shop around.  That puts an AVRI in the £1000 kind of price range second hand.  Some people like older ones, so the market might support £100 extra for one that's 20 years old.  The older one won't inherently be a better guitar than a 6 month old American Original though.
  • bloomerbloomer Frets: 209
    I have both a custom shop strat and an american vintage 65 and there's no difference in quality whatsoever. In fact I prefer the latter.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom