What's Hot
2»

Comments

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6399
    paulnb57 said:
    Jalapeno said:

Throughbody - top loaders are a pain
    How are they a pain! Utter tosh!!....
    Fiddly, easy to scratch the finish behing the bridge, I find them a pain compared to through body.

3 & 4 hole bridges are not inter changeable, the mounting points are diffrerent for the same scale - there's loads of choice, no need to convert
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Thanks for all the feedback so far.

I would go for a used guitar - I'd ask on the sales part if anyone had one when the time is right. I guess the point of getting a new one is that they don't cost much new (depending on your view of what's expensive) and you know, as someone inexperience, it will be close to OK (ie not faulty or bashed/ dropped) out of the box.

I may move the post too... thanks for the suggestion.
    Depends if you're after a playable guitar immediately, or a base instrument for improving fettling skills

Feedback
  • To play immediately and work on as I go once I work out what I like and dont like about it...
    edited November 2019
    Any Squire, Pacifica or Epiphone then. Probably better to go second hand

Feedback
  • I will keep an eye out. It has to be Squier. As I lack true mastery of the instrument, the brand is somehow important to me. Even if I don't like the tune I'm playing, at least I like the brand :)

When I know what I am doing in my personal life I will put an ad on here for a second hand one and see what that turns up. What I don't want to do is get one and then have to move it on again straight away, nor take advantage of the generous people on here by taking a guitar before I know properly what I'm doing.
  • mikem8634mikem8634 Frets: 382
    edited November 2019
    This thread might prove useful or interesting desite being about Bullet Mustang mods rather than teles -

• Thanks Mike

I am tempted by the Mustangs too but I've got to focus :) it's an interesting read with general principles that apply to all guitars.

I believe, from watching Phillip McKnight on YouTube, that the biggest improvements are to be had from sorting out the frets first, so I think that's my aim at the start. I see the poster on that thread did some work on the neck.
  • Thanks Mike

I am tempted by the Mustangs too but I've got to focus :) it's an interesting read with general principles that apply to all guitars.

I believe, from watching Phillip McKnight on YouTube, that the biggest improvements are to be had from sorting out the frets first, so I think that's my aim at the start. I see the poster on that thread did some work on the neck.
    I know what you mean about focusing. Too many projects on the go at once just paralyses me with choices/options/ideas, and I work at a snail's pace at the best of times =)

For the record, I think you'll get loads out of this project.
  • Thanks mike. A little at a time is how I plan to do it. When I have the money, and between string changes I hope to do bits and pieces to keep things achievable. 
  • Paul7926Paul7926 Frets: 227
    Thanks mike. A little at a time is how I plan to do it. When I have the money, and between string changes I hope to do bits and pieces to keep things achievable. 
    Watch out, it gets addictive.  :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Hopefully my lack of skill and tools will confine me to manageable tasks. I also pledge not to put a Fender logo on the headstock.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3073
    Does the Bullet Tele have a full size, full thickness body?
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• On a video comparison I saw it appeared to be slightly shallower,  it whether that is the case now, and whether such a small difference is important I dont know.