The Supervibrodeluxe Project

What's Hot
fendermadlewisfendermadlewis Frets: 647
edited January 2020 in Amps
The Supervibrodeluxe Project - Turning a Deluxe Reverb into a 45w monster.

Hi guys! Just at the beginning of a very exciting project and I've opened this thread so I can post updates and pictures as the project goes on.

Basically me and a mate are trying to turn our pair of stock deluxe reverbs into what will essentially be a 64 Spec Vibroverbs in small 1x12 deluxe boxes. 

He's doing the work and I'm paying for the bits (on mine anyway) As he's not on social media/internet I'll be just posting the progress/pics of my amp, as the two builds will be nearly identical.

Hope this thread brings a little of the joy and excitement to others!  3 

*If you don't approve of what's being done here please keep those opinions to yourself, it's a super fun project and I'd like to keep it free of negativity, thanks x*

Guitar dealer and G.A.S merchant by day: www.vibrocaster.com 
  Blues/rock singer & guitarist by night: www.alexhamiltonguitar.com

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7769
    edited November 2019
    Deluxe not loud enough?

Different OT & 6l6s I'm guessing
  • fendermadlewisfendermadlewis Frets: 647
    edited November 2019
    @Winny_Pooh Nope. I like to play reasonably clean and they run out of headroom far to quickly for me in a band situation 

• First thing getting done is the power transformer. We're going to be running 6L6s AND tube rec so this is getting beefed up with a super reverb PT. Here we see the chassis being ground to fit the bastard in! 

• Guitar dealer and G.A.S merchant by day: www.vibrocaster.com 

• OssyrocksOssyrocks Frets: 1673
    Great project. I've done a few in my time, mostly vintage Bandmaster Reverbs into Super Reverbs and Vibroverbs.

What are you going to use for the output tranny? Supers were 2 ohm and Vibroverbs were 4 ohm (and much smaller).

Are you replacing the PCB whilst your at it?
  • @Ossyrocks The output transformer is a vibroverb/vibrolux spec from tube town in Germany. It has an 8ohm tap :) Super one probably wouldn't fit and after briefly having a set of very efficient speakers in my super reverb, I'm pretty sure i won't be needing it! 

PCB will be replaced at some point down the line, but it's not urgent. 

@Ossyrocks The output transformer is a vibroverb/vibrolux spec from tube town in Germany. It has an 8ohm tap :) Super one probably wouldn't fit and after briefly having a set of very efficient speakers in my super reverb, I'm pretty sure i won't be needing it! 

PCB will be replaced at some point down the line, but it's not urgent. 
    I probably would have gone with that size tranny myself. The big Bassman/Super size iron is OTT for a project like this. 

I have also experimented with just 6L6's, a solid state rectifier and a big efficient speaker (Weber California at the time), This turned an otherwise stock Deluxe into a mini Vibroverb, it's a bit risky so they tell me, but I never had any breakdowns or releases of magic smoke.
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3157
    tFB Trader
    Before you go any further, check the clearance between the new OT and the speaker frame. I’m assuming the speaker cutout is central and not offset?

When I do builds like this, I use a 1” taller cabinet with an offset baffle to ensure there are no clearance issues.

Also, it looks like the space between that 6L6 and your PT is far too small.
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

• @RiftAmps ;It's not me doing the work but I really appreciate the advice and input! These mods have actually been done to another deluxe this is just following the process being repeated on mine. The output transformer clears the speaker chassis perfectly when the speaker is rotated (It didnt fit at all with the EV I wanted to try though lol) and that last photo is before the actually chassis grinding and fitting of the power transformer. :)

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    @RiftAmps ;It's not me doing the work but I really appreciate the advice and input! These mods have actually been done to another deluxe this is just following the process being repeated on mine. The output transformer clears the speaker chassis perfectly when the speaker is rotated (It didnt fit at all with the EV I wanted to try though lol) and that last photo is before the actually chassis grinding and fitting of the power transformer. :)
    A Deluxe with an EVM12L is what I always wanted too, but as you say it doesn’t fit. I had good and similar results with an Eminence Deltalite, which did fit and was far lighter than an EV.
  • fendermadlewisfendermadlewis Frets: 647
    edited November 2019
    Double comment, sorry! please delete!

• @Ossyrocks Did a/b comparison with an EVM12L (in an empty deluxe cab) and WGS G12C. The WGS was actually a nicer sounding speaker and even a little louder so I'm happy ;)

• hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    For me part of the magic of a Super is the 4 10's. The response is different to a 12 and the bigger cab gives more (insert meaningless hyperbole here) than a 1x12 or even a 2x12.

An EV needs a big cab. IMO.

hywelg said:
    For me part of the magic of a Super is the 4 10's. The response is different to a 12 and the bigger cab gives more (insert meaningless hyperbole here) than a 1x12 or even a 2x12.

I think this project is more of a mini Vibroverb. I agree the magic of a super is the 4x10’s, I used to run a pair! 

Not sure about the bigger cab for the EV. Boogie and Dumble both had tiny cabs and combos with EV’s and they did alright. It’s a great speaker.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @Ossyrocks ;Mini Vibroverb indeed. :) I have a super for supery sounds. Theyre magical amps! 

@hywelg Tell me about your experience with EVs in bigger caps? I'm interested to know what sort of difference it makes! 

@hywelg Tell me about your experience with EVs in bigger caps? I'm interested to know what sort of difference it makes! 

Authority. Not heard anything quite like it. Clarity and balls. I ran my EZG into it which had huge bass response and if I hit the amp with a full on distortion pedal the EV just said 'is that it?, try harder'

Didn't get much chance to do that often more is the pity.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31590
    Ossyrocks said:
    hywelg said:

I think this project is more of a mini Vibroverb. I agree the magic of a super is the 4x10’s, I used to run a pair! 

Not sure about the bigger cab for the EV. Boogie and Dumble both had tiny cabs and combos with EV’s and they did alright. It’s a great speaker.
    I've seen Boogies with EVs cut a swathe through the audience, nobody wants to stand on axis with one of those, it's vile. 
    p90fool said:
    Ossyrocks said:
    hywelg said:

I've seen Boogies with EVs cut a swathe through the audience, nobody wants to stand on axis with one of those, it's vile. 
    That's why I've got Jay Mitchell doughnuts in all my cabs. 
  • Power and Output transformers, choke, filter caps & resistors all done. Its looking mighty impressive!

• Tidy :)