The Supervibrodeluxe Project

What's Hot

Comments

• I'd be inclined to just get a Vibrolux, but I appreciate that it's great fun to have a project. Good luck.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72490
    RickLucas said:
    I'd be inclined to just get a Vibrolux, but I appreciate that it's great fun to have a project. Good luck.
    I'd been holding off saying that :). A Vibrolux, with a replacement baffle if you want a 1x12", would be a much easier way to reach the same goal - although still very slightly larger and possibly heavier.

That said, if Randall Smith had never thought it was a fun idea to put a Bassman circuit into a Princeton Reverb then we would never have had Mesa/Boogie amps.

Don't answer that ;).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fendermadlewisfendermadlewis Frets: 647
    edited December 2019
    Just a bit of fun guys. A vibroverb in a small deluxe box. I really don't understand why people have such a problem with this. Like I asked in the original post, if you don't like what in doing or think it's an waste of time, please just keep it to yourself. Were having great fun doing this and I thought I'd share the progress. Keen to keep it free of negativity. Cheers
    Guitar dealer and G.A.S merchant by day: www.vibrocaster.com 
      Blues/rock singer & guitarist by night: www.alexhamiltonguitar.com

• @ICBM Yeah the idea is as small and light as possible, looking like a stock deluxe reverb, but then blow the back doors off the pub when it's turned on. I actually had an 83 MK II years ago which gave a little inspiration towards this! That was definitely not light though  :#

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72490
    Just a bit of fun guys. A vibroverb in a small deluxe box. I really don't understand why people have such a problem with this. Like I asked in the original post, if you don't like what in doing or think it's an waste of time, please just keep it to yourself. Were having great fun doing this and I thought I'd share the progress. Keen to keep it free of negativity.
    I don't have a problem with it at all as long as the work is done to a good standard :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6725
    I mean I'd also be following if the work was done to an appalling standard, just to feel better about my own skulls. 

It's the journey as much as the destination that's fun with these things so just enjoy yourself. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • First photos back from Mark at AF Custom cabs. Old black tolex stripped, ready for it's new suit!

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Sideburns, back and grill cloth done. I went with the blonde/wheat look. As much as I don't miss lugging around my old FSR Twin, I absolutley loved the way it looked in it's blonde suit. Should be getting close to assembly time next week! Can't wait  :3

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Cab finished! Should be assembling this week!

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020
    edited January 2020
    @gringopig £150 Posted. Really reasonable imo, AF Custom Cabs, check em out, top quality. He's making me a solid pine version of this some point next year as well!

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited July 2020
    edited January 2020
    NAD: The beast is finished! What started as a stock Deluxe Reverb has been transformed into a 45w '64 Vibroverb in a sexy 1x12 blonde box! The choke, output and power transformers have all been replaced with bigger versions (vibroverb spec). Input resistors, tone stack, filter caps, tubes and speaker have also been changed.

Currently sporting a solid state rectifier, running a GZ34 could easily be an option. It's also had a cheeky bright switch fitted to the back, which will eventually be a 3 way allowing me to experiment with different cap values. The cap in there is a much smaller value than normal for fender bright switches so it just adds a little sparkle without changing the tone completely.

It sounds absolutely massive with even more volume/headroom than my Super! The single 12" has a little more mid push than the Super's 4x10s which I reckon will shine in a band mix. Can't wait to gig this little monster over new year. Vids coming soon!

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OssyrocksOssyrocks Frets: 1673
    Congrats! It’s a great project and I bet it sounds big.

now, you say “finished”, but you know that’s not the end of it.

Stuff to do:

1. Eyelet board ( the amp will outlast you!)
    2. NFB defeat switch ( I use the Ground switch on the back but not sure this even has one of those)
    3. Tremolo defeat switch ( I usually put these on a switchable pot in the Intensity position)

Rob
  • brooombrooom Frets: 1175
    edited December 2019
    Always cool to see mods projects on amps. Regarding the new cab, personally, if you're going to be investing money/time on re-tolexing you could potentially also invest in a decent pine built cab.

As far as I understand the reissues use a different construction uses plywood (not necessarily a bad thing). Fender combos typically sound much nicer with the added resonance of a pine cab, and plywood will add to the weight.
  • @Ossyrocks @brooom ;

Both PTP wiring and pine cab are coming next year! 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited July 2020

• brooombrooom Frets: 1175
    I sold a really nice sounding 1966 here last year. Oddly enough despite the fact that it sounded glorious, I found it harder to control it's volume at home than I do with my Jim Kelley.

@fendermadlewis - enjoy the amp
  • OssyrocksOssyrocks Frets: 1673
    gringopig said:
    That's a really nice looking amp indeed! I could go for a silverface Deluxe and get it recovered just like that. Hmmmm...

Pity original Deluxes are thin on the ground...

I might be persuaded to part with my ‘65, but you’d need to kill me first and then fight my wife.