Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

How owning stuff makes you feel

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24327
    My place is bordering on being eligible for an episode of 'hoarders'.  It's not that I have a burning desire to hang onto everything but I'm just too tired / lazy / easily distracted / much of a procrastinator to get off my arse and take it all down the tip.  It's always a case of 'put it in the junk room for now', but 'for now' becomes 'forever', and 'junk room' starts overflowing into the rest of the house.

You get to a state where the worse it gets, the harder it becomes to motivate yourself to tackle it, so it's a positive feedback loop.  It's getting me down to be honest but Oooh Look! - it's "World's most dangerous railway journeys" on Dave-Ja-Vu!  I'll watch this first...
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4928
    I keep intending to have a clear out of some stuff. 
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6264

Buying tech for the sake of having the latest upgrade is largely pointless and is a behaviour solely designed by and benefitting the manufacturers. Exhibit A - anything made by Apple.

I used to chase the latest kit, but have come to realise that it's better to wait until you actually need something rather than simply want it. For example, when my phone needs replacing I will probably get the latest version, or latest but one. I haven't felt the urge to get the latest iPhone for a few years. My X works just fine.

HI FI kit - I'll replace when it's needed, same for TVs and AV kit.

Computers - this one is about 4 or 5 years old and is starting to show it's age a bit, and certainly struggles with stuff like Omnisphere and the like. This will be replaced in the next few weeks, probably wait to see if anyone is having a sale/offers in Jan.

PS4 and all that crap - no time to game, no desire. Id' rather play guitar.

• DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    Could be worse, it could be clothes, alcohol or substances. 
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4928
    I’ve got 3 cars - does that count?
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11903
    octatonic said:
    octatonic said:
    It doesn't have to be a binary argument between 'stuff' and 'time' if you arrange your life in such a way as to allow having time and a decent income.

We move so often that we do tend to have regular clear outs- even still we move with a 40ft (personal stuff/furniture) and 20ft (studio) container, excluding vehicles.
    Every time we move I secretly hope we lose the lot, get an insurance payout and can start collecting things again.
    There is a little bit of me that completely knows that feeling, save for probably 2 guitars that I'll genuinely never intentionally part with, and a very small handful of personal effects.
    I always fly with one very special guitar. :)
    which one?