A weird buzzing problem...

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9747
    edited December 2019
    ICBM said:
    Gremlins.
    I'm beginning to think so to be honest. I've just tried it with my wireless thing which had solved different problems in the past, but now until I play notes the big muff now sounds like a weird warbling low hum. Ffs I hate guitar
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72411
    thecolourbox said:

I'm beginning to think so to be honest. I've just tried it with my wireless thing which had solved different problems in the past, but now until I play notes the big muff now sounds like a weird warbling low hum. Ffs I hate guitar
    I think you're a definite candidate for an all-digital setup - those seem to be less prone to this sort of noise and randomness...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM said:
    thecolourbox said:

I think you're a definite candidate for an all-digital setup - those seem to be less prone to this sort of noise and randomness...
    Perhaps although the HX I had was noisy as hell and I didn't like how it sounded anyway, so it's money I don't have.

thecolourbox said:

Perhaps although the HX I had was noisy as hell and I didn't like how it sounded anyway, so it's money I don't have.
    That's a nuisance...

My Boss ME-50 is the quietest effects set-up I've had I think, and one of the best-sounding - I'm not as familiar with the newer ones but I tried an ME-70 once and didn't like it as much.

I also have only hum-cancelling pickups on my guitars now.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I've got Lace Sensors in this one which I think are noiseless. But this buzzing occurs regardless of whether a guitar is even connected
    It has to be some sort of power supply/mains-borne/environmental noise issue then - unfortunately it's hard to work out what from here, given that it didn't seem to respond to being earthed.

:(

• Not to worry, thank you. I sound like s**t anyway regardless of noise or not and the only night I'd have free to attend  an open mic for the next few months is next Thursday so pointless even trying now.

• I get noise from my phone when it's close to my amp. Even some lights can cause noise. 
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9747
    edited December 2019
    I get noise from my phone when it's close to my amp. Even some lights can cause noise. 
    Yeah it's not that as it doesn't matter if lights/phones are on or off or any combination of the variables.

Does not happen with the gsp only, ie no pedals. But that's not exactly conducive to practising using the pedals ready for an open mic outing. Ffs

The only thing I can't take out of the chain is the TRex fuel tank because I've no other way of powering pedals. If it is that which is faulty I'll be even more racked off because it cost a bomb and had been rubbish all the way, particularly given the shop staff could have just told me for an extra tenner I could have got the actual one that would have powered everything I needed it to
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
    I get noise from my phone when it's close to my amp. Even some lights can cause noise. 
    Yeah it's not that as it doesn't matter if lights/phones are on or off or any combination of the variables.

Does not happen with the gsp only, ie no pedals. But that's not exactly conducive to practising using the pedals ready for an open mic outing. Ffs

The only thing I can't take out of the chain is the TRex fuel tank because I've no other way of powering pedals. If it is that which is faulty I'll be even more racked off because it cost a bomb and had been rubbish all the way, particularly given the shop staff could have just told me for an extra tenner I could have got the actual one that would have powered everything I needed it to
    What t-rex is it? 

I don't know if it will be a cure for the issue but seemed like a lot of T-rex supplies werent fully/individually isolated when I was looking. So its basically daisy chaining effects but in a neat box. 

Can any of the pedals run on batteries and if so have you tried that?

My only other thought is have you tried all the same gear but downstairs/upstairs/at a mates? 

Though thinking about it, I still get my issue which seems similar to yours regardless of having a strymon zuma psu. 

When you say the noise happens with the whammy plugged into a different socket but not connected to your chain, do you mean that the whammy doesnt need to be used at all, and does removing it cure it to at least let you practice with the pedals?
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • The noise is still there when the Whammy is unplugged etc it's just that I could make a stranger noise with it plugged in by tapping the switch

I'll be pretty peed off if the TRex Fuel Tank is just a daisy chain for like £100, I should Google it before I throw it into the canal

I'll be pretty peed off if the TRex Fuel Tank is just a daisy chain for like £100, I should Google it before I throw it into the canal
    The individual outputs are not isolated - only the three different voltage sections are - so all the pedals running from the 9V outputs are effectively daisy-chained.

But I don't think that's the problem, if running the Whammy on a totally different supply also caused noise.

• It's the fuel tank junior, I just checked. Website says five isolated outputs, I assume that's nonsense then?
    It's the fuel tank junior, I just checked. Website says five isolated outputs, I assume that's nonsense then?
    The Junior is isolated but the big one isn't, bizarrely!

• skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
    Ah well least the psu is good. icbm cleared it up, I didnt think it would be the psu. 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • Interestingly, by way of update, the noise has changed a bit but admittedly I've got no pedals plugged in at the minute due to the spare room having been commandeered for Xmas storage.

But I noticed the noise got worse when I leaned forward, towards the black box thing that suits halfway along the mixer power supply. Removed that from proceedings and used the headphone output to the monitors and the noise has reduced. Not gone, but reduced. Need to try with pedals though, that may render the above moribund.

It's a (presumably lower than low) Behringer Xenyx mixer so I can only assume that's destined for the tip and another waste of money and materials?