Looking to get back what I paid for it ......

What's Hot

Comments

• jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    "Looking to get back what I paid for it" on its own isn't offensive.

But it seems that the phrase is often used in conjunction with optimistic pricing and so looks like a way to justify an inflated price. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16297
    Chuffola said:
    And @Stickyfiddle wins. 
     +1

If it sells, it sells. Completely up to the seller to decide how to word the ad.

And evidence shows that if it's a stupid price, we'll be quick to let him/her know or everyone will just ignore the sale.

Honestly, some of us seem to seek out ways to be offended!
    I don't think it's taking offence, just seems a crap sales technique - this product is older and more worn than when it got it and as the buyer you should take it on the chin. Not sure how that is supposed to make me want to buy it.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mattacjonesmattacjones Frets: 506
    Ah, I do enjoy a lively debate. Don't think i used the word offensive tho. Twas merely an observation on classified ad behaviour. I always think it's worth a few quid to have tried it out at home and then decided it's not ideal.
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2877
    As long as the axe plays like butter....
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    blueskunk;251463" said:
    And is the best guitar you've ever played ever!!

Obviously judged to be the best by your mates and that very knowledgable chap down the local guitar emporium who sold it to you in the first place

;)
  • mattacjonesmattacjones Frets: 506
    blueskunk;251463" said:
    ... which is why I'm selling it, too buttery

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GuitarseGuitarse Frets: 165

"Looking to get back what I paid for it......"

.......Aren't we all?

Never ever bloody anything, ever!
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    I wouldn't say it is offensive, but it does put me off a bit. Whatever it is it has still had an extra owner and usage so isn't exactly the same. It implies that a one owner one year old guitar should have the same value as a ten year old seven owner guitar. Which would you rather buy for the same money? Values reach a minimum point so it will obviously never be worth nothing. It is of course our own choice how we advertise and choose whether to buy or not.
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7164
    "Looking to capitalise on your naivety and fleece an extra couple of hundred out of you"
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5050
    I don't mind it. It's not as bad as 'it owes me'... Although I disagree that the value should drop just because you've owned it for a while. A new guitar yes but not a second hand one.
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    Wouldn't worry about it tbh. Nothing is selling atm anyway!

You can always offer less. Usually people who put 'no offers' end up accepting a lower offer or part-ex in order to make the sale.
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6906
    edited May 2014
    Couldn't care less. I've probably used it or similar phrasing in the past...

As a buyer - if it's a guitar I want at the right price I'm not arsed about the language used in an advert.
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2026
    edited May 2014
    jellyroll said:
    "Looking to get back what I paid for it" on its own isn't offensive.

But it seems that the phrase is often used in conjunction with optimistic pricing and so looks like a way to justify an inflated price. 
    I agree, but that's the seller's prerogative, surely?
    Ah, I do enjoy a lively debate. Don't think i used the word offensive tho. Twas merely an observation on classified ad behaviour. I always think it's worth a few quid to have tried it out at home and then decided it's not ideal.
    I appreciate you didn't say it was offensive. My mistake, but "winds me up" suggests something similar and I just feel that the best way not to get wound up about an ad asking too much, worded badly or justifying a stupid reason for sale is to laugh and move on. Very few of us on this forum will overpay - we're all gear geeks! We all know a good deal when we see one.

Now,  I have this Encore Strat, upgraded with Squier Affinity pickups and a Fender gig bag. Professionally set up, low action and plays like buttah!!!!11!!  Looking for £250 delivered.
  • FazerFazer Frets: 467
    edited May 2014
    well, there is the 5 second rule for eating food dropped on the floor, so there should be an equivalent version for 2nd hand items bought

i propose 2 weeks for amps and pedals, and 1 week for guitars touched by your sweaty paws

or instead of length of ownership it could be actual hands on playing time instead, i suggest 5 hours of sweaty paws playing time = 1% decline in value for guitars, and for pedals/amps we will need to check the state and general cleanliness of your floor and the GDAL (General Dust Accumulation Level)

oh, and it goes without saying that any barefoot use of pedals is an automatic 5% reduction in value per session, and yes, that includes your stinky socks too

we will need to form a committee to verify all of this and i suggest that you all video tape and keep a detailed 'playing diary' of your activities.
    i think that the verification committee can be self funding based on a 0.5% sales tax per item

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27080
    Chuffola said:
    And @Stickyfiddle wins. 
     +1

If it sells, it sells. Completely up to the seller to decide how to word the ad.

And evidence shows that if it's a stupid price, we'll be quick to let him/her know or everyone will just ignore the sale.

Honestly, some of us seem to seek out ways to be offended!
    I don't think it's taking offence, just seems a crap sales technique - this product is older and more worn than when it got it and as the buyer you should take it on the chin. Not sure how that is supposed to make me want to buy it.
    I don't disagree with you re wear and tear, but if a guitar is in the same condition, or even cleaned & setup (since that's what I do with everything the day I get it) then I have no problem with someone wanting to cash out at evens.

Depends on the guitar and the condition though, of course.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9637
    I find it completely off-putting as well. Price it realistically and keep quiet about how much you paid for because it really doesn't help. Let any prospective buyers decide how much it's worth.

I don't care if you make a few quid on it, but if you're telling me in advance then I'm out!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    I don't mind 'it owes me', or 'back what I paid', tbh. 
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12906
    Using that phrase annoys me slightly. I think it's because pricing should be based on value, not on what you paid for it.

By all means ask for what you paid. Just don't say that's what you're doing!
  • allicioallicio Frets: 221
    UnclePsychosis;251840" said:
    Using that phrase annoys me slightly. I think it's because pricing should be based on value, not on what you paid for it.

By all means ask for what you paid. Just don't say that's what you're doing!
    Bingo!
    I practically end up giving stuff away on here as I can't be arsed with continually bumping a thread.
    Nothing seems to be shifting unless its dirt cheap, which I suppose is ace if your buying!
  • vizviz Frets: 10699
    In a buyers' market like this, one good way of exploiting it is to buy money with pedals and guitar equipment.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom