NYC

What's Hot
So I've got 5 days there from tomorrow. Got beetlejuice and chicago booked amongst a few other things. Is it worth going to guitar shops? Probably won't unless there's something spectacular (what'd be the point..)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• notanonnotanon Frets: 607
    @thomasross20 it is like going into any large UK guitar stores. What I did notice is that you can hire guitars in at least one of the guitar stores. I can find out if you want to know. I was gutted as I only found out when I got there. Those for hire are all second hand but some interesting guitars to rent.

I do NYC, Enjoy!
  • BebopperBebopper Frets: 129
    edited December 2019
    Avoid Guitar Center (it's just any large retailer you can find anywhere) but there are some smaller places that are worth a visit.
    Rudy's Music in Soho. Very smart store, with a stunning display of vintage D'Angelico and D'Aquisto archtops on the upper level. http://rudysmusic.com
    Retrofret in Brooklyn. http://www.retrofret.com Bit out of the way, but very friendly staff, happy to leave me alone with all the vintage archtops I could handle.
    Carmine Street Guitars. Home of luthier Rick Kelly and his awesome reclaimed wood guitars. One of the stalwarts of the "old" Greenwich Village. http://www.carminestreetguitars.com

If you like jazz,
    Smoke. Uptown. Check out Mike LeDonne's Groover Quartet on Tuesdays for some of the best Hammond organ playing. It's guitarist Peter Bernstein's regular gig when he's at home. If he's not on the gig, it'll be another monster like Dave Stryker or Paul Bollenback.
    Bar Next Door at La Lanterna. Intimate room that books great guitarists most nights. Can't go wrong with anyone there, but Jonathan Kreisberg and Peter Mazza are both there regularly. https://docs.google.com/document/d/e/2PACX-1vQaOdm_0tFxxCkJFsIVtuyW4rGggb4hAAV03EJLV28QpFHeSTwmGv3j0jrpt4-SgE7iHKCrOinOw_YE/pub
    55 Bar. Legendary bar with a couple of bands every night. Mostly leans towards jazz, fusion and blues. Popular room with guitarists. Wayne Krantz and Mike Stern both have regular gigs there if they're in town. http://www.55bar.com
    Smoke and Mezzrow are both run by the same team and across the street from each other. Two of the best rooms for jazz in the world.
    The Village Vanguard. Legendary jazz venue.

Jim Campilongo plays most Monday nights at Rockwood Music Hall. If he can't do it on a Tele, it can't be done!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • rocktronrocktron Frets: 806
    edited December 2019
    @thomasross20: I am going to NYC on Wednesday 11th on the American Airlines 10:10 flight from Heathrow, arriving at 13:25 local time. I'll be there until 6th January.

I will be collecting a guitar, which I bought online from the Guitar Center on West 44th Street, possibly on Wednesday, or Thursday.

The two big music chain stores are Guitar Center (at W44St, and on 14th Street by Union Square), and Sam Ash on 34th Street. There are a few other guitar stores, but I haven't visited the smaller ones. 

Where are you staying? I know NYC very well and can show you around the city very quickly in 1 day, weather permitting.

I have access to a computer in NYC, so send me a PM if you are interested in catching up. 

BTW, I went to Rudy's several times when they were on W48th St., next to the old Sam Ash.   
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • You have to get a steak at sparks steak house on 46th -not cheap but it's an old mafia place dripping in history 

Plus cant recommend an open top bus tour highly enough
  • Bebopper said:
    Avoid Guitar Center (it's just any large retailer you can find anywhere) but there are some smaller places that are worth a visit.
    Rudy's Music in Soho. Very smart store, with a stunning display of vintage D'Angelico and D'Aquisto archtops on the upper level. http://rudysmusic.com
    Retrofret in Brooklyn. http://www.retrofret.com Bit out of the way, but very friendly staff, happy to leave me alone with all the vintage archtops I could handle.
    Carmine Street Guitars. Home of luthier Rick Kelly and his awesome reclaimed wood guitars. One of the stalwarts of the "old" Greenwich Village. http://www.carminestreetguitars.com

If you like jazz,
    Smoke. Uptown. Check out Mike LeDonne's Groover Quartet on Tuesdays for some of the best Hammond organ playing. It's guitarist Peter Bernstein's regular gig when he's at home. If he's not on the gig, it'll be another monster like Dave Stryker or Paul Bollenback.
    Bar Next Door at La Lanterna. Intimate room that books great guitarists most nights. Can't go wrong with anyone there, but Jonathan Kreisberg and Peter Mazza are both there regularly. https://docs.google.com/document/d/e/2PACX-1vQaOdm_0tFxxCkJFsIVtuyW4rGggb4hAAV03EJLV28QpFHeSTwmGv3j0jrpt4-SgE7iHKCrOinOw_YE/pub
    55 Bar. Legendary bar with a couple of bands every night. Mostly leans towards jazz, fusion and blues. Popular room with guitarists. Wayne Krantz and Mike Stern both have regular gigs there if they're in town. http://www.55bar.com
    Smoke and Mezzrow are both run by the same team and across the street from each other. Two of the best rooms for jazz in the world.
    The Village Vanguard. Legendary jazz venue.

Jim Campilongo plays most Monday nights at Rockwood Music Hall. If he can't do it on a Tele, it can't be done!
    Jim is at the 55 Bar tonight, not doing Rockwood at the moment from what I can find online. Shame, I’d have liked Thomas to have vicariously gone on my behalf.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • You have to get a steak at sparks steak house on 46th -not cheap but it's an old mafia place dripping in history 

Agree, Sparks steak house is amazing, felt like I was in a mobster movie, dining amongst the bosses. There was a real like whacking there in the 80’s. 
  • Right I'm intrigued about sparks now! 
    Will read rest at airport - exciting!
  • I want reservations for Dorsia.... (See if you get the reference lol)
  • King85King85 Frets: 631
    Brooklyn Nets have a game at home on the 11th if you like basketball.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11875
    edited December 2019
    Go get some Pastrami Sandwich on Rye Katz Deli !

Expensive £20 for the sandwich but worth a trip at least once, it is actually fairly large and enough to share.

Get some pickles too on the side.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    Other things to do

A (mental) sandwich at Katz' Deli, with a walk down Ludlow St for the music venues and s/h guitar stores
    Staten Island ferry (free) - great view of the Statue of Liberty
    Find out where Yellow Rat Bastard is (keeps moving) for cheap jeans
    Another recommend for 55bar - especially if Mike Stern is in town - $10 well spent !
    As well as Smoke - Iridium, Jazz at the Lincoln Centre, Blue Note, Birdland, Smalls, Village Vanguard, Cafe Bohemia all worth a visit depending who's on
    I love Balthazar for a meal - great atmosphere (bit pricey)

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11448
    You have to get a steak at sparks steak house on 46th -not cheap but it's an old mafia place dripping in history 

This time of year?
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    crunchman said:
    You have to get a steak at sparks steak house on 46th -not cheap but it's an old mafia place dripping in history 

This time of year?
    Yeah a bit chilly so wrap up, but it is good and great value.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 921
    Main Drag, Southside guitars, and Ludlow Music are all great guitar shops, where you can play some really nice and interesting guitars. Plus great choice of pedals too. They're all in Brooklyn (Ludlow moved from Ludlow street in Manhattan), but it's worth the trip. Plus it's cool to go to Brooklyn, it's got a good vibe, and is a nice contrast to Manhattan.
  • So many great suggestions thanks !! 8)
  • FWIW lunch at Del Posto is world class (not silly money for the quality, though dinner is crazy-expensive). That's next to Chelsea market which is a nice walk around before or after as well.  

If you're going up any towers, Top of the Rock is better than Empire State. ESB is cool as you can say you've been up it, but the view from the Rock is world class, especially at sunset. It'll be frickin freezing this time of year, though I imagine everywhere else is too, so you'll be fine :)  

For museums, the Met is my favourite. MOMA has some good stuff but too much is usually off display. The Met has a bunch of Van Gogh stuff I could spend hours with, plus one of the best Egyptian collections outside Egypt. AND it's right on Central Park which is just awesome all the time. The one big one I haven't seen yet is the Air & Space museum on the Intrepid aircraft carrier. They have a bunch of interesting planes, but most importantly the space shuttle Enterprise. 

I love NYC to bits but haven't been in winter yet. You'll love it whatever you end up doing. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I want reservations for Dorsia.... (See if you get the reference lol)
    ^ nice - American Psycho - I hope you have packed your ax(e)
  • That's the one!! 

I've followed up on a lot of tips already, so thank you! Tonight is 3 course steak meal at Gallaghers followed by beetlejuice on Broadway. I'll write more when back :)
  • Any more recommendations for live music bar, particularly rock?