Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Your musical discovery of 2019

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• I think Bones UK for me. The music has kind of a certain vibe that appeals. Carmen Vandenberg is a great player who serves the song and does a fierce line in fuzz tele and mad delay feedback.

Also this made me laugh:

I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Acoustic guitarist Yamandu Costa. Blown away by his passionate, expressive, and - astonishingly so for a beefy guy with hands like a butcher - delicate playing. I've been going to his YouTube videos again and again since discovering  him earlier this year. Wonderful, inspirational guitarist.

I think @carlos posted a video of him playing on this forum, and it was the first time I'd come across him.

Technically, IMO he's as good as it gets but his appreciation for melody is immense as well.  An absolute delight of a guitarist.

Not just sausage fingers, more saveloy hands.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • A very, very old discovery but I'd never got around to listening to DIO era Sabbath til this year, and I can't believe it took me so long to do so.  OK, he's not Ozzy but I see it to be 2 different bands in some ways.

Are you aware they back got together in 2009 under the name Heaven & Hell? They released an album called The Devil You Know and it's sublime. A much better Sabbath album than 13 that's for sure. Tony shouldn't have given in to Sharon and called it a proper Black Sabbath album.

No, I didn't. Completely missed me by, I'll check it out thanks for the recommendation.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    edited December 2019
    gringopig said:
    Duritti Column. I completely missed them back in the day and made assumptions about them but they were so influential!
    That was one of those albums my mate had back in the Joy Division days and I played it endlessly, and that's a beautiful track.  I've got a lot of the catalogue.  Funnily enough Spotify offered me a Durutti Column track last Friday and I realised that it's been a long time since I've listened to anything, and for those who don't know, Vini Reilly hasn't been able to play for quite a few years now after he had a couple of CVAs.  I'm never quite sure what my favourite album is.  The first two are lovely, but a later one, Somebody Else's Party was always a good listen too. 
  • Grunfeld said:
    gringopig said:
    Duritti Column. I completely missed them back in the day and made assumptions about them but they were so influential!
    That was one of those albums my mate had back in the Joy Division days and I played it endlessly, and that's a beautiful track.  I've got a lot of the catalogue.  Funnily enough Spotify offered me a Durutti Column track last Friday and I realised that it's been a long time since I've listened to anything, and for those who don't know, Vini Reilly hasn't been able to play for quite a few years now after he had a couple of CVAs.  I'm never quite sure what my favourite album is.  The first two are lovely, but a later one, Sex and Death was always a good listen too. 
    Love them.  Favorite of the early albums is Another Setting...some absolute stellar tracks on that one...Bordeaux, The Beggar, Smile In The Crowd, You've Heard It Before.  Of the later stuff, before his illness curtailed his playing, I can really recommend Keep Breathing.  I was lucky enough to see them touring that one, and he had Bruce Mitchell back on drums with him...the interplay and chemistry between them both was utter magic.
    New fangled trading feedback link right here!
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3451
    Acoustic guitarist Yamandu Costa. Blown away by his passionate, expressive, and - astonishingly so for a beefy guy with hands like a butcher - delicate playing. I've been going to his YouTube videos again and again since discovering  him earlier this year. Wonderful, inspirational guitarist.

I think @carlos posted a video of him playing on this forum, and it was the first time I'd come across him.

Technically, IMO he's as good as it gets but his appreciation for melody is immense as well.  An absolute delight of a guitarist.

Not just sausage fingers, more saveloy hands.
    Thanks for the mention. For the record I think all fingers, as long as they are healthy, are good enough for guitar playing. Bear in mind he was a child prodigy so he's been playing at a high level for a very long time. Whatever porkiness he has in his fingers has been fully incorporated in his playing.
    BTW, have you watched his little docs travelling the world talking to other nylon string aficionados?
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24280
    Just gone through my music order history and I don’t think I bought anything from any artist his year that I didn’t already know.
  • gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2286
    Alt folk band Rivers of England. I played a short set with another band on the same bill and sat transfixed during their performance. Afterwards I bought their latest CD on the strength of their set (I never do this!) and it is no less brilliant.

Alt folk? Maybe folk prog. Or Anglicana - drawing from the same well which once nourished Pink Floyd and XTC. Only different.
  • dtrdtr Frets: 1037
    edited December 2019
    Could have said Big Thief, but as MattW has this covered I'll say Michael Kiwanuka, as this year he went from me being vaguely aware of him to his third album being pretty much all I listened to for a month.

best out-of-the-blue discovery for me has been Lianna.  Never would have guessed I'd like Colombian R&B so much.

• BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2594
    edited December 2019
    Partly as a result of this thread I've been listening to Big Thief.  Jury still out but sounds promising so far.

Best album of the year for me was Lana Del Rey's, although she wasn't a 2019 discovery.  In fact the album doesn't feel like a 2019 album, because two of the tracks were released separately last year (Venice Bitch and Mariners Apartment Complex) and were among my favourite tracks of 2018.  They were so good I more or less took it for granted they'd be the best things on the album but there are at least 4 other tracks as good if not better.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • 10thumbs10thumbs Frets: 427
    Discovered Shinedown  this year, Amarylis is an incredible album ,it' from 2012 so I'm late to the party as usual. 

Also Kent Carlevi on YouTube , unbelievably good player. 
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2953
    2019 for me will be remembered as the year I really discovered the magic that is Vin Garbutt.

Who?

If you have never heard of him I can't recommend him enough. I suppose you could describe him as a singer songwriter in the folk tradition, from the North East. But you can forget the old fiddle-de-dee and all around my hat. Sadly no longer with us, I knew about him from my folky connections but never really took the time to listen to what he had to say, and boy does he has something to say, both lyrically and musically. His style is what you might call abrasive. He twangs his guitar in a way that, at first listen, could be described as raw and raucous. But look deeper and you see why, his message is controversial, he wants to rag you and he is the master of his art. So much more than a folk singer.

..and he's funny. Real funny.

So many examples I could post but I'll go with one of him doing his thing in his natural environment and a more polished studio track about, well you can figure that out for yourselves. I heard someone say the nicest thing thing about Vin is going back and trying to extract all the details of the story he has just so wonderfully told you.

Where the Hell are we going to live:

Dish of Glass:

Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5001

Bit of a late one for me. Best description you'll read all year on the video
  • 10thumbs10thumbs Frets: 427
    Larkin Poe , two U.S. sisters , both play guitar/mandolin etc , one plays slide , some really nice blues ,
    Mississipi is a good track to start with , sadly I can't do a YouTube link from this ageing tablet.
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    Toss a coin to your witcher
    O Valley of Plenty
    Ooooh

Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    Saint Agnes. 

The first two The Dead Weather albums were great, but I never really got into the third. Saint Agnes has that same sort of vibe. But they are English, so it isn't exactly the same. 

This is more a "single"

But this is a great track

• andy_kandy_k Frets: 818
    TBH,
    I dl'd new albums from Rammstein ,Korn, Slipknot and Ghost last year, Ghost was the only one that I liked immediately, and on the same day I got Billy Eilish. and that was the only one that got played from start to finish.
    I did like Bones UK, but that was maybe a follow on from the Jeff Beck album Loudhailer, which was the last GREAT album I heard.