Kemper output options

What's Hot
2020 is the year I hope to finally get my hands on a Kemper. Main use for teaching as it will have different amps for different types of songs I'm doing from Fender cleans to JCM800 to high gain 5150 sounds. Perfect for what I need to do.

What are my output choices then to use it then? 

I know it can run into a speaker cab, with the power amp version I believe, but can I use the 1x12 combo speaker in my DSL5c amp? If I don't get the power amp version can I use the actual combo amp to power the speaker? I have a 4x12 but it'd be too loud for home use I would think.

If I run it into monitors which I use for playback in lessons (playing to audio/backing track jamming etc) would I need a mixer to feed both signals?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10206
    I believe you're right on the first two options. You won't be able to use the cabs on the Kemper if you're going through a normal speaker though. I much prefer this option for playing in a band, FRFR sounds too sterile and brittle to me in a band mix.

You don't need a mixer, you can use a cheap Focusrite USB Interface and use the digital mixer, or you can go straight out into monitors and just balance the sound with the volume on the speakers.
  • By 'speaker' I was referring to a guitar cabinet lol. But the DSL5 combo has a detachable speaker cable but I don't think I can plug it straight into the back of the Kemper as it won't power it? Live I will definitely want to use a cab but this is more initially for home use though I would like to still use a speaker cab of some sort.

The other option of running into monitors is also a possibility though, if I get that interface thing.
  • DarrenDarren Frets: 168
    If the Marshall has an effects loop - run the Kemper into the return section of the loop. Profiles wise - use either direct (DI) or turn the cabinet section off if using regular or merged profiles.
  • Ok, but why am I using the effects loop of the DSL? (which does have one by the way). Do I not use the front end?

When I used a mate's Line 6 Pod Pro it went out of the mono L into the front of the amp head (a Laney) then the usual speaker into cab. Bit weird but it worked for him.

How many cables do I need to be running? And where from the Kemper into the return? The cab out?
  • DarrenDarren Frets: 168
    You only need to use the Return section of the effects loop on the DSL. Basically the DSL will then become the power amp and speaker for the Kemper.

It bypasses the preamp section of the DSL - meaning you can control the volume but the preamp and tone controls of DSL don't come into play.

Guitar - Kemper input - Kemper main out - Return of the DSL loop. 2 leads.

;)
  • This is if course, I buy the Kemper without the power amp with it? I know there's 2 different versions.

So if I get one already with a power amp is the set up different?
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11448
    This is if course, I buy the Kemper without the power amp with it? I know there's 2 different versions.

So if I get one already with a power amp is the set up different?
    Just plug the speaker into the powered output of the Kemper.
  • Ok, so this is the one with a power amp:

And the one without:

Biggest difference is that top left speaker output bit. As the DSL has a detachable speaker jack this is where it goes into I expect. I will probably want one with a power amp if I get back into gigging and play through cabs.

I presume I will turn the cab sim option off?
    Ok, so this is the one with a power amp:

And the one without:

Biggest difference is that top left speaker output bit. As the DSL has a detachable speaker jack this is where it goes into I expect. I will probably want one with a power amp if I get back into gigging and play through cabs.

I presume I will turn the cab sim option off?

Yes.  That's essentially how it works.

One of the OS updates gave the option for Direct profiles.  I think those won't have a cabinet baked into them.
  • What does "direct" actually mean? Nothing between the profile signal and the cab? 
    What does "direct" actually mean? Nothing between the profile signal and the cab? 

As far as I know, there is no speaker/cabinet in it. You take a line out of the amp before the speaker (might need some kind of attenuation).  If you want to use it through a guitar speaker cab then it's a good option.

You also have the option of using a direct profile with third party IRs in a studio setting.
  • crunchman said:
    What does "direct" actually mean? Nothing between the profile signal and the cab? 

As far as I know, there is no speaker/cabinet in it. You take a line out of the amp before the speaker (might need some kind of attenuation).  If you want to use it through a guitar speaker cab then it's a good option.

You also have the option of using a direct profile with third party IRs in a studio setting.
    Right, I think I get ya. Me I've always preferred the air of physical speakers moving the sound, but I don't think it'll make much difference anyway as its still coming out the combo amp speaker.

I have thought about it running it out of monitors too but for the reasons above I prefer an actual speaker cab.
  • I use a Kemper for teaching and gigging. 

I prefer the Kemper through studio monitors at home for teaching and recording. That way you can have everything connected up on the computer and mix from there.

Live I like to use a real cab and send the full Kemper signal to FOH.

I’d strongly recommend a powered Kemper if you can.
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1087
    edited December 2019
    I use a Kemper for teaching and gigging. 

I prefer the Kemper through studio monitors at home for teaching and recording. That way you can have everything connected up on the computer and mix from there.

Live I like to use a real cab and send the full Kemper signal to FOH.

I’d strongly recommend a powered Kemper if you can.
    See I just run an aux cable out of my playback device (Smartphone or iPad) and straight into the monitors. I don't use a computer in the lessons.

And yes I think I will have to stump up that extra £300 or so for the powered version!!
  • melodmelod Frets: 136
    edited December 2019
    Would it work to power a non-powered kemper via a bluguitar amp1 fx loop and into a cab?
  • I'm looking for a powered version though!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1087
    2020 is the year as I finally got my hands on a powered rack version today!

I did the original method of trying to use the combo amp speaker by connecting out the red "speaker output" into the combo speaker, but I got no sound. Surely this is the same way as me using a normal guitar cabinet?

Next I did the FX loop method, so speaker cable from "Main output (L)" into the return of the DSL FX loop. Reconnected detachable speaker cable into the DSL and I got sound working!

But why couldn't I get get any sound from going straight into the DSL? Have I missed a trick here in the output settings? Cab sim was turned off and I was fiddling about with other knobs so much I can't remember what the other settings were. But what should they be? Or do I have to use a combo's FX loop should I want to use the speaker?
  • ragingbenragingben Frets: 107
    Congratulations! Was the power amp checkbox ticket in the output options? I think it's off as default. And the monitor volume up? One tip - you can make presets for any section including the output section - works well if you use different cabs and you want to quickly switch between them with some EQ changes and different linking options etc.