Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

is a one piece body better?

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3297
    tFB Trader
    Rabs said:

HHG irrespective of tonal improvements or not, IMO makes a lot of sense for certain applications for making acoustics anyway eg neck joints/bridges/bridge plates etc as it's easier to steam away the previous glue joints without/ or with less tear out.
    Exactly this, I built with titebond originally and still use it for certain things but switched to hhg years ago to use on neck joints and fretboards for electrics anyway, hhg would be an absolute bastard to use gluing acoustic fronts and backs on imo, it's just the working time for me, I'm not that quick, acoustic bridges definitely use hhg, if anyone has tried getting a new fitting bridge off again and for various reasons like misaligned or not getting the area cleaned up before gluing etc, after even 5 mins when it's fairly hot titebond is such a git to shift and can easily damage your top, hhg is much more forgiving in that respect
    Yes it is good for certain things.. I did a course a short while back where we learned about wood and veneers and stuff.. One of the main projects was to get an old wooden box that needed fixing and where you remove the old veneers with steam and replace them then French polish it after etc..  Hide glue is much better for that sort of thing..  Bloody stinks though...

Acoustics and arch tops are a different matter ...for body joints on solids ... and for that matter neck joints ... providing you aren't Gibson and consistently screw up neck angles ... Titebond is more user friendly, more ethically sound, and makes bugger all difference to the tone of an instrument.
    I've already stated my reason why I choose to use hhg, as I've built using both glue types I have my informed opinion on any merits, take out any tonal arguments hhg is much better to take apart, especially when I'm testing stuff out, I've taken necks and fingerboards off before to change things and using titebond is not that user friendly for something like that, more importantly it's up to any individual how they want to build without all the arguments for and against, it's either a good guitar or not imo
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12384
    A once piece body is better only if you are selling the guitar, noone can here the fucking difference.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom