NGD - Sheeran by Lowden W01 ( FINAL Nut Width Update)

What's Hot
GTCGTC Frets: 263
edited January 2020 in Acoustics
Yes - they really do exist. I pre-ordered a Sheeran by Lowden W01 out of curiosity from Project Music in Exeter at the end of October expecting to have to wait for ages. They gave me a call on Monday to say it had just arrived out of the blue.

This is the cheapest model in the range with a solid cedar top and laminated walnut back and sides - and no LR Baggs electronics. I chose this one as it was most suitable for a left-handed conversion.

The appearance is undoubtedly Lowden - not surprising, having the same shape as the Wee Lowden. The fingerboard and bridge are ebony - a streaky variety which quite suits the basic finish of the guitar. Not surprisingly, the finish and attention to detail are not up to normal Lowden standards but they are not at all bad. The body and top finish appears to be a thin satin lacquer giving a nice simple open pore appearance.

It comes in a heavy duty black padded gig bag with "Lowden Guitars" on the front (no mention of Mr. Sheeran). It is strung with Lowden light gauge phosphor bronze strings (12-53).

The playing feel is very similar to a Lowden and I am surprised at the quality of the tone. Great separation, sustain and, for a small body-size, pretty good basses and mids. I had the brief opportunity to try a left-handed Wee Lowden in similar woods a few weeks ago and from memory, for playability and tone, this comes very close.

Before I embark on a full left-handed conversion I changed the strings round to check that there was no impact on the tone by doing so - which, like every other acoustic I've tried, there wasn't. The saddle is a standard compensated TUSQ saddle which seems to have had a bit of work done on it to improve the compensation. I've ordered a bone left-handed equivalent and a standard Graphtech left-handed pre-cut nut which looks like it is more or less the same size as that fitted. I haven't contemplated doing anything about the bridge saddle slot angle yet - but was surprised to find that, as it is, the effect on intonation is very minor - so that'll be a stage 2 later on.

Below are a few photos (before changing the strings round).

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• pjfpjf Frets: 331
    Awesome, happy NGD!

*Laminated walnut back and sides, not mahogany – and very nice-looking it is too!

Didn’t realise these came with fret markers.

How was the action? 

I’ve bought a Lowden from Project Music before. Good guys and good shop. Congrats again!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    Welcome to the world of Lowden. Since the finish so thin, it might be wise to consider a clear flexi-scratchguard.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GTCGTC Frets: 263
    pjf said:
    Awesome, happy NGD!

*Laminated walnut back and sides, not mahogany – and very nice-looking it is too!

Didn’t realise these came with fret markers.

How was the action? 

I’ve bought a Lowden from Project Music before. Good guys and good shop. Congrats again!
    You are right - it is laminated walnut - it doesn't even look like mahogany! I've corrected my original post - thanks. I'm very fussy about a decent action and usually expect to have to do some work on a new guitar. Before I changed the strings round the 6th string was about .1" above the 12th fret - with ample opportunity for lowering further at the saddle. The nut slot height set-up was better than most guitars.

The W01 is described as having walnut back and sides whilst the more expensive walnut  ones as "figured walnut". I was therefore quite pleased with the nice figured grain.

I now await  the delivery of a new lefty nut and saddle to continue with the conversion and optimise the set-up with the strings changed round. You'll probably note that the truss rod adjustment is done at the headstock unlike the very awkward position on a Lowden (I use a shaped old style Larrivee truss rod for my S32).

I've not had many dealings with Project Music but they have always been very helpful and have a great stock (of right handed guitars anyway)
    edited December 2019
    fandango said:
    Welcome to the world of Lowden. Since the finish so thin, it might be wise to consider a clear flexi-scratchguard.
    I'm already there - I've had an F23c and have an S32 (both lefties) - but it would be an ideal intro for anyone to the world of Lowden.

With a cedar top and thin finish it is likely to be susceptible to dings. I won't bother with the pickguard with my light fingerstyle playing but will take extra care with protection when changing strings.
    GTC said:
    fandango said:
    I'm already there - I've had an F23c and have an S32 (both lefties) - but it would be an ideal into for anyone to the world of Lowden.

With a cedar top and thin finish it is likely to be susceptible to dings. I won't bother with the pickguard with my light fingerstyle playing but will take extra care with protection when changing strings.
    If you look inside the case candy plastic pouch, there is a profiled piece of paper for exactly that - protecting the body behind the bridge. It could have been a little more substantial (i.e. thicker), but what a thoughtful inclusion.
  • Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    Sounds great. I think I’ll jump on the bandwagon after the initial fuss is over. Really like the idea of cedar and walnut. 
  • pjfpjf Frets: 331
    fandango said:
    GTC said:
    fandango said:
    I'm already there - I've had an F23c and have an S32 (both lefties) - but it would be an ideal into for anyone to the world of Lowden.

If you look inside the case candy plastic pouch, there is a profiled piece of paper for exactly that - protecting the body behind the bridge. It could have been a little more substantial (i.e. thicker), but what a thoughtful inclusion.
    Having something there is a must. I use a polishing cloth and take it slow and steady, nice that Lowden recognise the issue and have started including the paper.
  • pjf said:
    fandango said:
    GTC said:
    fandango said:

Having something there is a must. I use a polishing cloth and take it slow and steady, nice that Lowden recognise the issue and have started including the paper.
    Why they don’t include a piece of leather with their full price guitars is beyond me. And a truss rod tool. I ended up making a truss rod tool from a Martin one with a gas torch. Then made a nice leather protector for restringing. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Congratulations ! This is probably the first ever left handed Sheeran
    fandango said:
    Well, I never noticed that  - but it is there. I mistook it at first glance for an advert for Lowden strings - see photo below. Thanks for the tip.

brucegill said:
    pjf said:
    fandango said:
    GTC said:
    fandango said:

Why they don’t include a piece of leather with their full price guitars is beyond me. And a truss rod tool. I ended up making a truss rod tool from a Martin one with a gas torch. Then made a nice leather protector for restringing. 
    I have some black leather. Not too thick, but should cut easily with a stanley after marking out the profile from the included restringing protector.
    brucegill said:
    As mentioned above, the old style Larrivee truss rod tool (5mm hex)  is the right shape to get under the brace above the soundhole to make truss rod adjustments to a Lowden. It is available on eBay but not cheap (around £20). On the Sheeran, the truss rod is accessed under the cover on the headstock, which should make adjustment a lot simpler. I'll remove the cover when I replace the top nut with the lefty version.

Lowden appear to have the approach of scaring people off making truss rod adjustments themselves, implying it is something only a technician is qualified to do - which is nonsense as long as you proceed with caution.

• droflufdrofluf Frets: 3691
    If all you need is a 5mm Allen key this would do the job https://www.amazon.co.uk/5mm-Long-Handle-Allen-Hex-x/dp/B00E401FII about £7 on Amazon. That was the first that I found, probably cheaper ones available.
    drofluf said:
    If all you need is a 5mm Allen key this would do the job https://www.amazon.co.uk/5mm-Long-Handle-Allen-Hex-x/dp/B00E401FII about £7 on Amazon. That was the first that I found, probably cheaper ones available.
    The brace behind the sound hole on Lowdens gets in the way ofusing a straight key even if it is long-handled. The Larrivee type avoids this due to being shaped to go under and around the brace  - see eBay listing https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Larrivee-truss-rod-wrench-old-style-3-16ths-or-5mm-UK-stock/192895838220?hash=item2ce97ce80c:g:NBwAAOSwL7VWrdil
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3691
    Thanks, didn't realise that.
  • fandango said:
    brucegill said:
    pjf said:
    fandango said:
    GTC said:
    fandango said:

I have some black leather. Not too thick, but should cut easily with a stanley after marking out the profile from the included restringing protector.
    If you use sandpaper on the edges of the leather you can get a really nice finish. 
  • Oddly, mine just slipped when I bought one of these. I think they’re imperial, so just a little under sized from the required 5mm. 
    GTC said:
    brucegill said:
    As mentioned above, the old style Larrivee truss rod tool (5mm hex)  is the right shape to get under the brace above the soundhole to make truss rod adjustments to a Lowden. It is available on eBay but not cheap (around £20). On the Sheeran, the truss rod is accessed under the cover on the headstock, which should make adjustment a lot simpler. I'll remove the cover when I replace the top nut with the lefty version.

Lowden appear to have the approach of scaring people off making truss rod adjustments themselves, implying it is something only a technician is qualified to do - which is nonsense as long as you proceed with caution.

brucegill said:
    Oddly, mine just slipped when I bought one of these. I think they’re imperial, so just a little under sized from the required 5mm. 
    It worked OK for me without slipping - but due to Larrivee's location, it is probably imperial (3/16" - approx 4.76cm). This could explain the slipping.
    I took the truss rod cover off the W01 today. Any standard 5mm Allen key will do for adjustment.
    An update following the start of the conversion work. The nut width on the Sheeran is actually narrower then a Lowden (based on my S32). Both the Lowden and the Sheeran are stated as having a 1 3/4" nut width in their respective specs but the Sheeran is about 1 and a bit mm narrower than the Lowden's 45mm - with a correspondingly narrower E to e string spacing at the nut.

I tried using a Graphtech nut which would fit a Lowden (6134-L0) and it was too wide - and the string spacing just a little too great to prevent the outer strings occasionally slipping off the edge of the fretboard even if I trimmed the ends. The next step is to try a different size.

The string spacing at the bridge is the same as a Lowden.