NGD - Sheeran by Lowden W01 ( FINAL Nut Width Update)

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• GTCGTC Frets: 263
    edited December 2019
    Another update following the left-handed conversion work. I'm really pleased with the result after getting over the narrower than expected nut width (it is 43.5mm).

The spec on the Sheeran website says that the nut width is 1 3/4" (no metric dimensions given). The standard Lowden nut width for a Lowden on the Lowden website is also stated as 1 3/4" although the metric dimensions are slightly larger (45mm - the actual width). Therefore - I was expecting the Sheeran to be the same.

43.5mm (Lowden refer to it as 1 11/16" in imperial although it is closer to 1 23/32")  is what Lowden call their narrow nut width - available on the FM range and, I think, as an extra cost option on standard Lowdens.

A difference of 1.5mm may not sound like much but it makes a significant difference to the guitar's feel - particularly at the lower frets when the variance in the standard Lowden string spacing at the nut is over 2mm. To some this won't matter, to others it may even be an advantage but for me it is a bit of a compromise.

For the conversion I have replaced the nut with a Graph Tech PQ-6116-L0 TUSQ nut, which fitted without any modification. The string spacing with this nut is slightly wider than that originally fitted which makes playing at the lower frets less cramped without the risk of dragging the strings off the fret ends. It should be noted that the PQ-1728-L0 nut is a precise match for the original narrower right-handed string spacing.

The saddle was replaced with a Graph Tech left-handed compensated one (PQ-9280-L0) and 2mm mother-of-pearl side marker dots were installed on the left -handed side. I would normally get the saddle-slot filled and a new, correctly angled one cut but the impact on intonation of the existing saddle angle is so minimal I'll live with it for a while. Besides, the luthier who normally does this work for me can't stand Ed Sheeran  

The guitar's tone is very good for a small body with that complex Lowden ring, crisp trebles and good basses and mids. Playability is very good with an excellent action - although, for me, it would have felt a bit cramped on the lower frets without the small increase in string spacing at the nut. The guitar looks good in a minimalist sort of way and I would rank it at least as good the best parlours that I've played which makes it excellent value.

I've contacted Sheeran/Lowden regarding the nut width in their published specification as it is inaccurate and misleading if mine isn't from an incorrect batch and I am awaiting a reply. The Dutch resellers TFOA describe the nut width in their YouTube review as "1 3/4" - that's 43.5mm" (which it isn't) - so I don't think that mine is the only one.

I'D BE INTERESTED TO HEAR FROM OTHER SHEERAN W & S OWNERS REGARDING THE NUT WIDTH on their guitars In the meantime, here's a photo of my converted guitar.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    Disappointing regarding the nut width 11/16 is a deal breaker for me these days. Considering the nut width is so important to people I’m surprised they made this goof
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    Surely the string spacing is about feel, not about getting a ruler out?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    Ruler or not it does appear it’s narrower than advertised. Not great 
    The feel of 11/16 over 3/4 is dramatic 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Andy79 said:
    Disappointing regarding the nut width 11/16 is a deal breaker for me these days. Considering the nut width is so important to people I’m surprised they made this goof
    It  is not just disappointing - it is pretty amazing to get such a fundamental dimension wrong. I'm hoping that they've somehow sent out a bad batch and 1 3/4" (45mm) is the standard nut width for new models. I'll see what they respond with.
    fandango said:
    Surely the string spacing is about feel, not about getting a ruler out?
    To a certain extent yes - but once you've found the right nut width that suits you then anything narrower can feel a compromise. In addition to the nut width reduction of 1.5mm, the string spacing at the nut is about 2.3mm less than the standard Lowden 38mm. With the nut replacement I've managed bring the string spacing reduction to about 1.5mm - the same as the nut width. This, for me, is tolerable although not ideal.

I only got the ruler out when something didn't feel right - but when you order off spec (as many will have done) you expect the fundamentals of the spec to be correct.

If 43.5mm is the correct nut width for the range then this should be in the spec - it will put some off but to others it won't matter and to some it may even be an advantage. 
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11916
    43.5mm is too narrow for me, fully agree
    What's the advantage of making a neck that narrow?
    45mm should be the best compromise surely, I prefer 46mm (or even 47.5mm sometimes) but 45mm would be OK
    I came across this on-line review https://guitar.com/review/acoustic-guitar/sheeran-by-lowden-w02-s04-acoustics/ and this confirms the nut width as 43.5mm for both the S and the W
    I spoke to Lowden this morning after not getting replies to my e-mails (blame NAMM) and they came back very quickly confirming that the intended nut width for both the S and W models is 43.5mm and that the downloadable spec on the Sheeran website (1 3/4") is wrong.

To many this won't matter and to some it may even be an advantage. For me, I've managed to mitigate the issue by using a left-handed Graph Tech TUSQ nut with a slightly wider string spacing.

That issue aside, and a few very minor quality issues, it is a incredibly good guitar for the money.

To illustrate the nut width issue, below is a photo of the original W01 nut which I removed for the left-handed conversion compared with the 1 3/4" (45mm) nut on my S32 lefty.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11452
    Andy79 said:

Makes me interested in it.  I like 1 11/16".

My biggest gripe about the newer Martins is that they have switched to 1 3/4" from 1 11/16".

crunchman said:

Makes me interested in it.  I like 1 11/16".

My biggest gripe about the newer Martins is that they have switched to 1 3/4" from 1 11/16".

Yes - I think many will prefer the actual narrower nut width and would have been put off by the 1 3/4" on the incorrect published spec. Thus it is a surprising and careless goof. They told me they are going to change their published spec - although this probably won't happen until everyone gets back from NAMM.

I'm just surprised that no-one else has pointed this out to them.