Are dead cheap violins or violas definitely rubbish?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    enjo said:

Just check that the sound post is in place (it's inside and connects the top and bottom together), if not it is probably worth getting that sorted.
    The bridge is also in completely the wrong place - it should be where the two obviously worn patches are - and be careful when you’re tuning it up that it doesn’t suddenly flip forward and fall flat... that will make quite a bang and you’ll think you’ve broken it :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Get it fitted with a pickup and plug it into your amp, sound lovely with some fuzz and delay.
    “Ken sent me.”
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18757
    Get it fitted with a pickup and plug it into your amp, sound lovely with some fuzz and delay.
    Nash the Slash fan?  ;)
  • NickLNickL Frets: 150
    Just make sure you're sitting down when you find out how much a decent set of strings costs.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14427
    Get it fitted with a pickup and plug it into your amp, sound lovely with some fuzz and delay.
    Nash the Slash fan?  ;)
    Or Sugarcane Harris as per Willie The Pimp on the album, Hot Rats.

Have you ever tried playing a violin? Musical & tuneful wouldn't be my first choice of descriptions :-D
    This.

If you are plagued by neighbours' cats, teaching yourself to play violin in the garden will drive them away.

something more musical, more tuneful rather than strummy
    Behold. The electric bass guitar. :) If you want a challenge, go unlined fretless. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Ha I know they are difficult but I'm looking forward to the challenge. I am more experienced in classical music to be honest so I'm hoping my ear for that will bode me well.

I've never really considered a bass guitar, most of the music I like either doesn't have bass guitar at all or the parts are simplistic to just basically be tuned rhythm. I'd much rather learn a treble instrument
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14427
    most of the music I like either doesn't have bass guitar at all or the parts are simplistic to just basically be tuned rhythm.
    Country & Western Swing, huh? ;)
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • most of the music I like either doesn't have bass guitar at all or the parts are simplistic to just basically be tuned rhythm.
    Country & Western Swing, huh? ;)
    Yes something like that
  • enjoenjo Frets: 278
    ICBM said:
    enjo said:

Just check that the sound post is in place (it's inside and connects the top and bottom together), if not it is probably worth getting that sorted.
    The bridge is also in completely the wrong place - it should be where the two obviously worn patches are - and be careful when you’re tuning it up that it doesn’t suddenly flip forward and fall flat... that will make quite a bang and you’ll think you’ve broken it :).
    Missed that! Normally the inner notches of the f holes indicate roughly where it goes.
  • GulliverGulliver Frets: 848
    So, it appears you are already sorted for a fiddle.  but if you aren't here are some pointers from my other half (she's a violin-playing music teacher)

Firstly, you're in Birmingham so a trip to Moseley Violins would be a great idea if you ever need it restringing or if the sound posts shift (it can happen and there's a special tool apparently that gets used to fix it)  or even just for some advice.   She went there to buy a new violin, and they LOANED her - for free -  2 for her to try for a week before she decided which one she wanted.  In the end she bought both but they are super helpful.

Secondly - if you do end up needing to buy a violin, then spend a little more than rock-bottom priced ones.  A Stentor Student 2 is vastly better than a Student 1.

Thirdly - get some lessons from a violin teacher (she's not touting for work BTW)  because things like posture and bow-hold are important to get right   (so she says, but she's classically trained so if you're more into folk fiddle YMMV)
  • Thank you sir that is very helpful. Yes I would probably look to take it to Moseley or Hobgoblin in town to get it set up for me as I've not much knowledge of them. I'd prefer Moseley as they are probably less likely to laugh at me than in Hobgoblin but Hobgoblin is more convenient so I may have to tolerate the mockery - I live in bournville which is close to Moseley but I'm not there when they would be open.

Re lessons, I imagine it'll come to that yes but probably not until my birthday in April. I don't want to play folk violin so I'm sure I will need technique rather than busking it. I used to do classical piano so know what it can take and whilst I won't ever give it what I gave the piano, at least I know the drill for that kind of thing